1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Hexagon

So, my efforts to encourage and expand my local environmental group have landed me with a job to do. I have to figure out how to increase our membership, and increase awareness about climate change in my city. I was hoping EC could help with some ideas. Anyway, I've already thought a bit about it, and I'd started designing a leaflet specific to the local group (rather than national or international), and figured there could be some street campaigning using it. But I need to do more than this, and I can't really think of anything.

2. shinji

shinji Guest

No idea what this is all about but... if you offered me a free shirt, i'd be interested in at least listening to you. A leaflet on the other hand, i'd throw in the nearest bin (even if you were watching me). Cookies are okay too but, food at the street, maybe no. Something that is packaged then? I guess i just want free stuff, don't we all?

3. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Setting up a facebook page for it and you can share posts, perhaps that will also increase awareness. :icon_bigg

4. Hexagon

I doubt we'd get funding for shirts. Cookies, on the other hand...

I'm really looking for ideas of events we could hold, and the like.

We already have one. It doesn't get much attention.

5. Blossom85

You could perhaps book some talks in at your local library if they do such things.. I know our libraries do things like that, usually author talks, but perhaps it could be something the local library might allow you to do, advertise on radio, tv etc, magazines, school news letters, do talks at local schools or colleges, those morning shows they have on tv.. Maybe see if they would be interested to do a little segment on it where they kind of interview you.

6. Candace

Email the local councils that deal with environmental policies. (I was a public policy major, so...) Talk to me if you want help :slight_smile:

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you have any local bands sympathetic to the cause and cheap/free access to a bar or café, you might be able to have a day/evening of music and art mixed with your environmental group's message. It's good to have something fun and engaging, and having good food and music tends to help with that.

There was an event last week at a university food shop/café I went to, and they brought in bands and had artists, which brought in a big audience. They were environmental, too.

Otherwise, posters (particularly at universities; students love that stuff), and social media notices should get some attention. If you can, perhaps email schools to see if they have environmental groups, or at least a notice to see if students are interested. Local radio might also do some good if you can get a mention.

8. SomeLeviathan

Other than fliers and stuff, I don't really have many suggestions.

Although, you'll probably enjoy this Climate Change Denier

9. White Knight

Free food and booze always make people attend or listen what you are saying. So maybe something like neighbourhood picnic might give you a headstart as I think rallying whole city might be a little bit challenging... I never dream of make 15 millions of people listen to me.

Other than that, leaflets/fliers, net things (facebook, tweeter, youtube acc with educational vids) and some survey to test how educated people of your city about issue only things that comes to mind. You can lead every survey taker to your net locations with a business card like mini cards which you'd pass after survey.

10. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would consider the local council option they may help you find a location like a community center you might even get some help with funding to have posters or flyers done for you . might also be a good way of reaching local schools .

11. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You might try to align with some international/national environmental day or event.
    Green Holidays

12. kem

kem

Do something radical to increase awareness. Cut off the power to the escalators in a mall or something, cover a local (small) landmark with something that has your statement on it.

Collaborating with local businesses like cafés might be a good idea. I'm not sure how environmental leaflets would be, I mean you read it once and then what? Promoting posts on Facebook isn't too expensive, especially if you don't already have a lot of attention, so if you want to increase awareness you might want to try that too.

13. Incognito10

To help with membership:

Is there a Unitarian Universalist congregation in your area? If so, they seem to always be more than willing to get on board with local environmental causes, in my experience at least.

To help with events:

I've contacted a local representative of the Sierra Club for my environmental group and she was very willing to come speak to us and provide very useful information about local/regional projects and issues that I would have been completely unaware of without her assistance.

Also, look into local events such as county fairs where you can set up a booth to promote your cause. In addition, secure a spot at your local earth day event or any local/regional green expo, if one exists.

#13 Incognito10, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  14. Hexagon

Thank you all for your suggestions, there's a lot of good stuff there.

We can use recycled paper.

15. kem

kem

Ah well that sort of solves it I suppose.

16. Perseus

Sell baked goods? Like a bake sale...

17. Beware Of You

Yeah Leaflets just piss people off and end up in the trash I am afraid.

I remember my LGBT group at my undergrad gave out free lollypops during LGBT history month to raise awareness etc. it worked well.

I think you should do stuff that challenges the stereotype, I mean environmentalism isn't all about people buying Hybrids (which aren't that eco if we are honest), maybe find some cute animals (I dont mean have live animals) or something that are endangered due to climate change. (Out of the charity groups that are collecting in town, the one that gets the most interest is the local animal refuge because they bring some of the rescue dogs with them, and well people me included love dogs)

18. Hexagon

Useful information still has to be imparted, such as where to find us and so on. Unless you expect us to print it on the lolly pop. Still, I realise something more exciting is needed.

19. shinji

shinji Guest

Instead of leaflets, make it... business cards! They are harder to crunch up in a ball, and are more compact so it's easier to actually put them away for later.

As for keeping them interesting, well... do something minimalistic. Like, all solid color (something bright and fresh, like orange or green). And then at the back, put a QR code with a short URL underneath to a website explaining your cause.

Also cookies, lots and lots of cookies.

edit: so did not read that this was already proposed... so i have to put in a bit more effort!

Okay so.. what about! Making it into a game. Like, offer a price if people do something related to your cause. Like for example, there was this vending machine here in town that gave beer to people who managed to sit 3 minutes in front of it, without moving (eg were not drunk). And that was to promote...i don't know what really, something against alcohol i guess. Ah right, drinking and driving!

#19 shinji, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  20. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure how generalizable this would be, but at least for folks like myself I would suggest staying away from politicized thought. Even if I agree completely with what's being said, I tend to find partisanship in things like this to be very off-putting.

I'd say stick to applied facts, things people can comprehend in more definite fashion. Things that actually influence them on a daily basis. Or start with that to get their attention/draw them in, at least.

#20 Browncoat, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014