1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should Teachers Be Armed

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Zannan, Sep 4, 2014.

?

Should Teachers be armed?

1. No

86.8%
  2. Yes

5.7%
  3. Other

7.5%
  1. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you don't want to pay taxes then I guess Somalia is the place for you - that place is totally lawless. Anything goes. Somalia is the most free country in the world - no laws to follow, no taxes to pay, no meddling government, no law enforcement to any functioning level - kill anyone, rape anyone, live however you want - it doesn't matter. You can take a gun and shoot a person's head off, and nobody will care, because what police exist are so corrupt that they will take a bribe and keep quiet. Give them $10 and they will leave you alone.

Seriously - give me one example of a country freer than that. A country where anarchy rules (or used to rule - I'm sure Somalia between 1991 and 2006 was a real-world paradise for anti-government types).

#141 imnotreallysure, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  2. Stripe101

A ridiculous notion!

I vote nay!

3. Gallatin

Please keep on topic, folks. Thank you.

4. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  5. Holly82

Agreed.

However, I'd like to point out the reason I felt going off topic a bit was warranted. I posted a short paragraph of my opinion on the subject and subsequently got called insane. I thought that deserved a response so that people could understand that my position was thought out and not some crazy emotional response to some perceived persecution.

I'd also like to draw attention to the intolerance to my position when I stated multiple times that at the core of it was the Non-Aggression Principle which states that it is immoral to use violence in order to coerce behavior or opinion. I believe the only moral relationships are relationships that are voluntary. In a community that is filled with individuals who have experienced persecution from their own families no less, it's disheartening to see such emotional backlash against an idea that you don't understand.

With that said, I was one of the few that voted "other". Based on the Non-Aggression Principle, violently coercing someone to carry or not is out of the question. And I'm done with this thread.

Thank you to those who were somewhat curious and didn't just think I had left planet Earth years ago. :slight_smile:

6. Formality

Hell no!

All I can say is pro-gun nutcases in America should go buy themselves some brain instead of guns and ammo. Nothing says guns will make a country safer. It's ridiculous. Arm yourselves with flowers, cupcakes and some goddamn tolerance instead.

7. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

Hell no!

I've seen so many stressed teachers, who looks like they want to rip a students head off.

Maybe bb or paintball guns with a a few rounds :lol:

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It would be superhumanly awesome if everyone did this. But some people prefer to arm themselves with nastier things and inflict harm on others. If those "others" only have flowers, cupcakes, and tolerance, they become helpless victims. The "gun culture" of America is the idea that an armed populace, while more dangerous overall (because more people than just good fighters can do damage with a gun), ensures a better chance of surviving or thwarting an attempted offense if it does happen.

^^I skirted around talking about all that before by saying it's a difference of philosophy. It is. Some people prefer to avoid guns and take their not unreasonable chances of doing just fine. Others prefer the idea that if someone threatens them, he or she can be dealt with no matter what the attacker has.

http://mwkworks.com/onsheepwolvesandsheepdogs.html

#148 Argentwing, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  9. Linthras

Linthras Guest

You're ignoring the flaw in your reasoning pointed out by both of us.
    When you ban military hardware, only law abiding citizens are disarmed.
    If a criminal is going to break the law, he's not going to care about whether he can legally use a ak-47.
    When you ban bombs, only law abiding citizens are disarmed.
    If a criminal is going to break the law, do your think he's going to care he's not allowed to make or use bombs?

Again, we shouldn't make X illegal, because criminal will do it anyway, is a severly flawed argument and not how lawmaking works.

Have you checked the statistics of armed law-abiding citizens saving themselves or others from armed criminals?
    Have you compared them with the number or deaths and injuries caused by law-abiding gun owners?

10. SomeLeviathan

Even people in your political camp think the NAP is ridiculous. The Non-Aggression Principle Can't Be Salvaged

There are better ways to ground ethical constructs. A shitty version of Bentham's harm principle doesn't get you a wide array of ethical situations that you want in that type of system.

Fun game: indetify the aggressor http://mattbruenig.com/2014/04/20/fun-game-identify-the-aggressor-in-this-animated-gif/

11. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No. What if the teacher snaps and decides to take it out on the class, by sending some bullets through them? What if they shoot someone for non-self-defense reasons in general? What if some kids get a hold of the gun? What then? I think that there are too many problematic situations that could arise from allowing guns into the classroom. If schools want to be protected from a gun man, they should hire security and install metal detectors.

12. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Luckily there were no firearms around, but my younger brother had a teacher that snapped. Would have been terrible if he had been armed.