1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should Teachers Be Armed

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Zannan, Sep 4, 2014.

?

Should Teachers be armed?

1. No

86.8%
  2. Yes

5.7%
  3. Other

7.5%
  1. itsAli

Instead of giving everyone guns to defend themselves. Give no one guns, so they don't need to defend themselves.
    I think Englands system works pretty well, you need a gun license and a criminal background check, then you have to keep them somewhere locked up, with the ammo somewhere else and that's with another license, otherwise you have to keep them off your property.

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a teacher I will emphatically say "HELL NO"

beyond the threat of a student stealing it, the teacher misplacing it, the fear students may have from the teachers having them, it's just extremely improbable that there will ever be a chance to use one.

No, just no.

3. Nekokoneko

Out Status:
    Some people
    No. The way to end gun violence isn't to add more guns. It seems like a good idea on the surface, but in the end I don't think this is the answer to the problem.

4. Randomcloud

I agree with this. While I think it would be great if there were no guns in the US, I don't see it happening. Maybe they can at least restrict the kind of guns that are legal so that people can still protect themselves if need be but not fire a flurry of bullets (sorry I'm bad with American politics, and guns).

But anyway, having teachers armed is not a good idea. I would not feel comfortable sending my (hypothetical) child to a school with guns in the environment. Metal detectors sounds extreme but at least it would be a safe option

5. SomeLeviathan

The only point at which I would cede teachers being able to carry firearms would be if they had extensive training. And even then you are now asking a teacher to potentially kill someone as part of their job description.

Leave the protectin' and a servin' to the police plz.

this is actually an interesting manifestation of the prisoner's dillema

#65 SomeLeviathan, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  6. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are so right about this!

7. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

ABSOLUTLY not! Like what?!?! That's ridiculous, what kind of image would we be giving the younger generations?(I.E my generation) I know that if I saw my teacher with a gun I would be terrified. That's where I stand on this issue I voted "No".

8. kem

kem

It wouldn't solve the root of the problem, so, no. By this I mean that assuming the problem is violent high school massacres, arming teachers wouldn't stop the incidents.

Certainly, an armed teacher might be able to end the incident before the amount of victims escalates. But on the other hand, teachers carrying weapons might bring more issues, such as the ones already illustrated here.

Although I am personally against all violence, and by extension, firearms, I have conflicting thoughts about carrying a gun for self-defense. That isn't the purpose of this thread though so I won't discuss it further.

#68 kem, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  9. lukeluvznicki13

Of course they shouldn't.

There should be no reason as to why they would need a weapon at school...

10. MrK21

Okay, the thing about banning guns is CRIMINALS DO NOT FOLLOW LAWS.

I am not so sure about teachers carrying guns. However something needs to be done about these school shootings. I think each classroom should have a co-teacher that is armed instead.

11. Ryujin

To people saying that criminals don't follow laws, we know, it is obvious. However, there is a difference between having guns be easily accessible and having them an illegal thing that only criminals and people with licences will get. If someone has an urge to murder someone and they have a gun ready for them then they are more likely to commit the murder then someone who has an urge to murder someone but doesn't have a weapon available and so have more chances to go, "Oh wait, this is a really fucked up thing to do!" and not do it.

About teachers having guns, having more guns does not decrease gun violence, it increases gun violence. The more people with guns, the more people who have the opportunity to kill someone using said gun. For disciplining kids or scaring kids. Imagine the effects of being in a hostage situation, if you do anything wrong you can be shot, you don't know if it will end. Imagine how horrible that it. Now imagine that in schools every day. Yeah.

12. SeaSalt

You certainly arent wrong!

The thing is that in the UK guns are Illegal enough that should I see someone walking down the street holding one I can safely assume that he/she probably isnt sposed to have it and that would be when most people would call the police. In the UK we take guns very seriously and a nice part of that is that we have some very well trained armed response officers who do carry automatic firearms.

While I would love to own an assault rifle I am happy to go without one providing no one else can have one either.

13. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The job of a teacher should be to teach, not to be deputized. Schools should have security guards or police officers if needed.

14. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But of course, gun mania is such the rage in the US, that one can only guess that several people will, all most likely haling from that wacky-way-out-west, rootin'-tooton' tough guy shootin' nation, The USA.

Having teachers with guns is among the worst idea I've heard thus far; the last thing we need to do is make a militarized police state of our schools.

15. Linthras

Linthras Guest

The thing about banning drugs is CRIMINALS DO NOT FOLLOW LAWS.
    The thing about banning military hardware is CRIMINALS DO NOT FOLLOW LAWS.
    The thing about banning X is CRIMINALS DO NOT FOLLOW LAWS.

16. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Don't forget murder and rape! Criminals don't follow laws so let's let everyone else kill one another too....yay~

17. Holly82

No one is talking about closing down every school tomorrow. That is a straw-man. I'm talking about abolishing the State's virtual monopoly on education. The reason it has a monopoly is because it uses tax money to fund it. Taxes are involuntary. Don't pay taxes, go to jail.

You know if Apple could tax people to fund it's operations, an IPod would cost out of pocket something like $25. But when you consider the taxes you pay, it would cost $5,000 or more.

The average cost to send a child to public school for a year is $10,615. And this doesn't even guarantee this child will get a good education. They high price and low quality that has resulted from 50 years of government involvement have forced the free market to come up with strategies and technologies to deliver high quality education. With organizations like MOOCs and The Khan Academy, any child in the world with a low end computer and an internet connection can get an excellent education for free. And this doesn't even mention all of the Public Domain books that can be downloaded for free.

What is the point in sending a child to sit in a building for 8 hours a day listening to lectures? In one year, a parent could spend $10,615 on education, or $600 on a high speed internet connection for the year and a $200 computer.

I don't want to abolish anything through decree. I just want people to be free to choose what they want do with their money. As a tax payer (and if I was a parent), I could choose to educate my child at home and spend $1000 for the year, but I'm still required to pay (at the point of a gun) taxes to fund schools for other people's kids.

This is a moral argument. And you're saying that because you know better, you have the right to use violence to force people to do what you want.

I reject that argument as it is completely illogical.

18. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i would really trust my incredibly unstable veteran ptsd high school computer sci teacher who got mad all the time at the lazy underachievers and slackers of his class, that ended up getting fired because he sexually assaulted his daughter multiple times, with a gun that is most DEFINITELY a great idea

also would trust my super happy hippie pacifist english teacher with one, i'm sure she's fine with it too and would handle the situation of using it very well

19. Holly82

You've both missed the argument. When you ban guns, only law abiding citizens are disarmed. If a criminal is going to break the law, he's not going to care about gun laws.

If the criminal is armed and comes up against a law abiding citizen who is following the law, who wins?

---------- Post added 5th Sep 2014 at 07:22 PM ----------

I see what you're saying, but then the only people left with all the guns is the government. All we need to do is look at the 20th century to see what happens when governments confiscate all the arms.

20. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

More guns don't solve gun violence, they increase gun violence. It's literally common sense. Even a good person can have a bad day where they snap, and many unstable teenagers use guns to commit suicide.

And other countries that have higher gun regulation have lower gun crime. How about that?

Americans can be so dense sometimes and I'm ashamed to be in this country. -sigh-

#80 Fallingdown7, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2014