1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite Scary Movie?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by willycubed28, Aug 26, 2014.

1. willycubed28

Are you a fan of horror movies? If so then this thread is for you. Tell me your favorite scary movie and why. My favorite horror movie is the Original "Nightmare On Elm Street". I had nightmares about Freddy Krueger growing up. I was so afraid to go to sleep because I thought if I did then I would meet Freddy in my dreams. He still gives me the creeps. I think though he has one of the best lines ever on any movie. "Welcome To Primetime Bitch"...That was on Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors, one of my other favorite horror movies.

2. 28 Days Later

Just because it made me think and imagine a lot after watching it, plus I was younger when I saw it. Reading into it, the people who made it got the idea after they learned that viruses always mutate. The people in that were just infected and living, not really dead. Plus, the bodily fluids, not just bites, made anyone infected in that movie. I like it because it managed to make me think a lot, and I thought successful horror stories are ones that can make a person scare themselves with their own imagination.

3. Silas

I'd probably say the Conjuring and Insidious, I love the supernatural horror films. Also alien movies like the Fourth Kind freak me out big time!

4. The original "Halloween." The original "Halloween" series will always be the best but, nothing compares to the first film.

5. Ryujin

Definitely Ghostbusters. Definitely... *shudders*

6. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I hate scary movies! The only exceptions are The Craft and The Lost Boys.

7. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Insidious, it's the only scary movie I've seen. Nothing like having your English playing horror movies during class :lol:

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sphere. It was adapted from the Michael Crichton book, but the combo of alien tech, the fear of the unknown, and the primal dread of being under a mile of black ocean makes for a delectable sci-fi thriller.

9. black-cat

Insidious, Orphan and Open Graves are great in my opinion... if you like being terrified LOL

Insidious... I don't even want to try and explain that one again *shudders*
    Orphan is about a killer 'kid'
    &
    Open Graves is about voodoo, black magic, tortue, etc.

10. PICollins91

House on Haunted Hill the original is still my favorite Horror film of all time, I remember this particular set of scenes scaring me senseless when I was young.

[YOUTUBE]3vBFvmC1KHI[/YOUTUBE]

11. stormborn

i like A Haunting in Connecticut and The Shining.

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Jaws

[​IMG]
    Why would anybody swim so far out in the ocean, like that?

Jaws isn't a scary movie, when you're watching it. It's actually quite a good film, really. I love how it begins as a Horror film, but becomes an Adventure film. Throw in some political shenanigans, and you have an entertaining film. Robert Shaw as Quint, the cantankerous old man of the sea, is my favorite character in the film.

[​IMG]
    He's not kidding either, I assure you.

Where Jaws actually succeeds, where a lot of Horror films don't is, after you turn it off. To this day, I cannot swim anywhere, where my feet cannot touch the bottom, without thinking of what could lurk beneath. It's very unsettling, but that's fine. It just means the film did what it aimed to do: scare people out of the water.

To copy and paste, from my first unfinished Blog, as to why I like this film, and a clever little summary:
    Childhood Reason: I was a kid. Sharks were an interestingly terrifying creature, that could easily cause you harm or tear you limb from limb. But they are amongst the least evolved specimens on this planet, meaning they are closer to evolutionary perfection. Also, that soundtrack...

Older Perspective: Now that I've aged a little, I tend to look at things from a much different perspective. What, as a child, was a simple giant-shark-shows-up-and-terrorizes-a-local-community flick, suddenly becomes a little more symbolic. When you look at the film's Big 3 characters, you see they each represent some archetype and personal journey in life.

Chief Brody, the new cop in the town, is suddenly called out by a shark's antics. Matt Hooper, a young upstart college student, who is the so-called shark expert. And Quint, the cantankerous (love that word) fisherman, who has a personal vendetta against sharks. Matt Hooper is 'educated but inexperienced', while Quint is 'uneducated but experienced', and this causes problems on their nautical adventure.

Chief Brody, who being a cop, would normally have authority and expertise, is thrown out of his element and becomes the weakest link. However, as the hunting expedition goes on, and tried-and-true tactics fail, it is ultimately Brody's observing and everyday man persona that prevails. To see each man experience moments of uselessness and weakness, exhilaration and confidence; then a look of exhausted defeat, during the ups and downs, is a psychological roller coaster. All of this incarnates the Great White as each man's personal demon, thus adding another layer of depth, as they attempt to defy fate and overcome their bane.

"Farewell and Adieu, You Fair Spanish Ladies" - as performed by Quint
    It's a catchy little song. But hardly anyone looks at it, beyond that.
    In the beginning, Quint sings it, because he's confident and happy. Life is good.
    Near the end of the film, he begins whistling it, because he has begun to accept the possibility, this may, indeed, be farewell.

Keep in mind, every other shark film tries to bank on being "the next Jaws". Hell, even Jaws 2 tried -- and it failed! Though, I am lukewarm when it comes to that sequel, because it has it's moments, and a badass tagline: Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Go Back In The Water. Jaws 2 isn't an excellent film by any means, but it did popularize the whole teen slasher concept. You know, a bunch of teenagers go out, away from responsibility and adults, and are targeted and killed off. The fact we still have 'killer shark' films, to this day, is testament to the influential impact this film had. Of course, we also have Jaws to thank for those horrible shark movies. I'm looking at you, Sharknado!

I only wish they had as likable a cast of characters -- is that too much to ask, Hollywood?

[​IMG]
    "Smile, you son of a--"
    - the reason, every 'killer shark' film feels, they need to have one liners.

As much fun as I'm having, typing this up, I suppose I should bring it to an end. To conclude, the reasons Jaws is my 'Favorite Scary Movie', boils down to:

- Kicking soundtrack.
    - Likeable cast of characters.
    - It actually sticks with you, when you're swimming.
    - I enjoy the gradual transition from Horror to Adventure.
    - It gave me an awesome song ("Farewell and Adieu"), to sing. Aloud or in the shower.
    - It is unique, to me, for being one of, if not the only exception, to the "book is better than the movie" rule.
    - It has, one of, the most ridiculous film finales, even for Horror movie standards. It's over the top, but it is gloriously so!

13. lsl1995

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    There aren't too many scary movies that actually scared me. But the one that always pops in my mind is Jeepers Creepers. That movie not only completely terrified me as a child—and still does to this day—but it scarred me for life. I can't even think about it without getting the chills.

14. Metaphor

Metaphor Guest

My favorite horror films are Scream and Scream 2. I think that both are thrilling and very funny at the same time. I think that they smartly play with the conventions of the genre with hilarious results in some moments and with very effective horror situations in others. Other reason I like these films is because they remind me of my teen years!

15. PICollins91

I forgot about that movie, the film was kind of eerie for me because when I first watched it I was like "these locations look awfully familiar." When I finally got internet access and looked it up one day it turns out they actually filmed it mere miles from where I used to live and had taken that road many different times over the years and had passed the church numerous times (sadly the church is long gone after some vandals really did burn it down in real life, it was reported to have been actually haunted).

16. iHateThinking

Basically this. Although now it's arguable it's a bit dated, the budget accomplishments + soundtrack + cinematography + creep factor make it absolutely excellent. It's the reigning supreme for my favorite horror flick.

Some other favorites include The Cabin in the Woods, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Orphan, and The Evil Dead.

I'd say Pet Semetary is, while not a favorite, very scary in its own right, and it's stuck with me ever since I've seen it.

17. Randomcloud

I love A Tale Of Two Sisters- I kind of prefer psychological movies to really gorey ones although I did love Suspiria as well. Halloween is also a classic!

18. daisy448

daisy448 Guest

Paranormal activity 3

19. Candace

A Bucket of Blood. That scared me when I was a child :S.

20. LimeTime007

Out Status:
    A few people
    I love the Scream movies. Has anyone seen the movie Cherry Falls starring Brittany Murphey?