1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else think pride parades go too far?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by falcenav, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As opposed to the polite method of calling flamboyant pride-goers the cause of homophobia and deserving victims.

2. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Hey, words like "predator" and "whore" are the blanket generalisations used mostly for bi's, get off my issue lawn! :lol:

I'm really glad that you haven't experienced most of these issues and people in real life, though. Don't let it drag you down on here. (*hug*)

3. LitePenguin

Heh, Bob, would've been nice to be able to. But it's impossible to explain any point while being drawn and quartered xP

Oh well, I tried.

Maybe next time!

4. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then you live in a much more LGBT friendly environment than I do.

5. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I've said all I can regarding compromises with the straight community.

In terms of the idea that discrimination comes from both sides:

Straight people being prejudiced against LGBTIQ people gets us assaulted, fired, imprisoned, and executed. These aren't isolated incidents. These happen constantly around the world, and are sanctioned by law in many, many places.

LGBTIQ people being prejudiced against straight people presents itself in expressions of frustration and anger against the discrimination we face and the people who perpetrate it, and might result in a couple of straight people on the internet being offended.

There is no way that I can say those two things are equal.

I am not trying to attack you. I am stating my opinion and where it disagrees with yours, exactly as you are sharing yours and where it disagrees with ours.

Maddy out.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    LitePenguin: I'm still confused about your view. First, I appreciate that you were positive about transgender and genderqueer pride-goers. I am not assuming malice on your part, but I am either confused about what your view is or unsure that you comprehend the natural implications of your view.

Can you explain what the nature of the compromise you're proposing is, and what parties this compromise is between? Finally, I was hoping you could provide an analysis of where we are at--in the LGBT--community that is creating the impasse for cisgender heterosexuals, and why--as a matter of human rights strategy--we need to make changes in our behavior for pride attendance. Also, who is the "we" in this group that "needs to compromise?"

7. Derivative

Derivative Guest

As a complete "noob" to parades... here's my opinion... and I'm going on what I've heard so I don't mean to cause offence to anyone.

I find that parades tend to be quite stereotypical; all gays are flamboyant.

Instead of a parade I would much rather if people joined up with charities and educate people to show that gay/bisexual/transgender people shouldn't be in a class of stereotypes (not sure if I worded that correctly).

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you believe there is any value to queer visibility?

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People do that every day. Pride is one day. I hardly think that they're mutually exclusive or that flamboyant pride-goers are less likely to help everyday issues and raising awareness in other ways.

10. Derivative

Derivative Guest

I don't understand what you mean by queer visibility, I hid away from my sexuality for years (only came to terms with it a few months ago) so pardon my ignorance, sorry.

11. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

whuuuuh where's the straight entertainment television channel?!!!?!?!?1 fuckin queers

12. Derivative

Derivative Guest

I never said they were less likely to help out, I'm giving an outsider's opinion on prides... on a stereotypical aspect. But that's the media I guess.

13. LitePenguin

Agggggh!

It ended up being way too overcomplicated.

All I meant by compromise is a fair agreement of every party's rights to express themselves, nothing more, nothing less.

Not a trade, nobody is giving up anything, it is simply an idea where both parties can agree on each other's basic human rights to express themselves.

Forget the parade for one sec, I just mean basic human rights about expressing our views and ourselves as people.

Forgive me, but you are overthinking it. You believe I mean something specific in compromise.

But I do not.

I am referring to the entirety of the matter.

I'm ready to have a nervous breakdown.

14. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

maybe if the gays didn't go to pride parades people would like us, HM????? Remember when there were no pride parades, and people liked us?!!?!?!

15. LitePenguin

Although, on a unrelated note, it is quite interesting how homosexuality was not just tolerated, but actually encouraged in ancient Greek and Roman cultures.

16. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :roflmao:

Maybe my history is bad, and if it is, you can explain it to me. But I thought that 1) most of that was what we now call rape, and 2) stigma still attached to the person who received anal intercourse, but not to the person who was anally penetrating. If my understanding of this is correct, that doesn't indicate to me that the Greeks or Romans were very positive about homosexuality. Rather, they were positive about a dominant male shoving his penis into other people, where that's pretty much whoever they wanted, whenever they wanted. But I could be wrong about the history.

#116 Pret Allez, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  17. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You, my friend, are AWESOME!!

18. LitePenguin

Pret, if I recall, yes, there were instances of rape and such.

But at various points in Greek/Roman history, homosexuality was actually quite in the norm.

There are certain African tribes that still exist today, which actively encourage homosexuality.

---------- Post added 17th Aug 2014 at 05:53 PM ----------

Either way, the dynamics of that time are quite unique.

19. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was largely about dominance, often an older man with a young boy or masters with salves and servants. It could hardly be compared to modern notions of marriage equality. Ancient Rome and Greece were not great lands of equality and healthy sexual ideas.

20. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's awesome. Nobody should stop you from celebrating being proud of who you are. :slight_smile: