1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you say "yes" if asked?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Really, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Rosie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In the past, I've responded with 'kinda...', 'I mostly like guys', 'I really don't know', 'maybe', or 'well...' but never a definite 'yes!'. (I do get that question more often than most of you, it seems. I just can't keep my mouth shut when others are discussing females.)

Perhaps, if someone asked me right now, I would say yes. But I honestly don't know for sure.

2. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Many moons a go #i always avoided the question. I came to a decision a few year ago that I would never be dishonest and if asked outright would be honest. It worked out for the best. Constantly telling untruths can slowly destroy a person.

3. Adarya

When I was in the questioning stage a lot of my better friends and sister actually new that I had a "crush". If anyone would have asked me if I was gay I would definitely have said "well, I know I'm not straight". There was only two people that outright asked me if I was gay and I was flustered in the beginning, but I responded honestly.

When I realized that I was a lesbian having people guess my sexual orientation was something that helped me come out, especially to my friends. A few actually asked me if I was gay, but many of my friends just caught onto it and accepted it. I'm pretty sure when I would say how cute girls were and how I was never sexually attracted to any guys most of my friends realized pretty quickly, without even having to guess. Now it's not that big of a deal if someone asks me my sexual orientation. I'm not very popular and my friends are a very selected group, so most of them know. The only time I have lied about my sexual orientation was when I was asked by a group of popular people that were bullying me and when I was asked during a gathering of my extended family. I'm still hiding my sexual orientation from most of my family (besides my mother, father, and sister no one in my family knows) and I just don't know if I'm ready to be recognized as "the lesbian girl" at school. So those are the only times I don't give the full truth (most of the times I don't lie, I just avoid it and tell confusing truths).

4. Really

Hey thanks for the replies! This is all very interesting to me. I don't know if I really expect anyone to ask - I don't particularly have a personal style that says "lesbian" - but if you thought about the details of my life, you might begin to wonder.
    Even though I said I would answer positively, in reality in my personal circle of people, I would want my mom/family to know first. I would be heartbroken if the infirmation circled back and she learnt it from someone else. We are very close and she's amazingly cool for her age. I do know that I'd want to tell her when she doesn't need to drive anywhere for a while - don't want her getting in to an accident because she was distracted by this. :{

5. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I normally come up with jokey response. So I guess you could say try and avoid it.

6. PICollins91

Depends on who's asking, if I know they mean no harm and are just curious then it's a yes, if I have a bad feeling I'll give 'em the cold shoulder with a "What's it to you?" or "Whattaya', writin' a book or sumptin'?" to gauge them further.

7. betterthantoday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    At this point, I'm already out to 4 people. But I cannot let my parents know yet so the fact that I'm gay has to be hidden from my parents & my relatives (because if my relatives know then my parents will know very soon...). So to answer your question, I think if any of my friends ask me now whether I'm gay or not, I will just admit. But if the questions come from my family or relatives, I might have to deny, at least for the time being.

8. whosamelia

Nobody's ever asked me... I would probably say yes though, given I could trust the person asking to not blab about it to other people.

9. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah. It's happened before.

10. ChameleonSoul

It hasn't happened yet, but part of me wishes that someone would ask me. It would make my life a whole lot easier. Apparently I'll have to covered in rainbows for anyone to notice.

11. CandyKing

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Here a hug (*hug*) I feel that way too sometimes.

12. Pie

Pie Guest

If I know the person, I wouldn't deny it but I wouldn't say "Yes!" either. I would stay quiet, looking right into their eyes until they come to the conclusion for themselves.

If it was a complete stranger I would say yes.

I don't feel like lying anymore.

13. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    no one has asked me outright, since i came out to myself and to the people i listed on the left. if my son asks i will tell him the truth.

14. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    That will probably never happen unless I get a girlfriend. I doubt that will happen any time soon because I don't think anyone in their right mind would date someone in my situation. By the time I get a girlfriend I will probably be comfortable enough to say yes.

15. timber

timber Guest

I would hope I would say yes, but I think it would depend on who asked and what setting I was asked in.

16. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Unless there is some clear threat to my personal safety - for example, on a train in which some guys are sitting whose language and demeanour displays a probability that they are not only homophobic, but might even follow a 'queer' and bash him or whatever - I am resolving to be honest if asked. I feel that denying it is kind of validating the false notion that it's not perfectly ok to be lgbt, and it is perfectly ok. Plus I think society is beginning to shift on this matter.

17. ABeautifulMind

IDK, I have been asked before but it was long before i was questioning myself, who knows maybe they could tell... but anyways, i have not been asked since i came out to myself, but if i was i think it would depend on who asked. if it was a stranger i think i would say yes. if its someone i knew... i would atleast hesitate even if i said yes...

18. RAdam

No, I'd tell them to fuck off and laugh at it. Only my family has asked me because I never brought home a girlfriend so they were wondering if I was into guys or if I kept the girls secret for em.

19. Hyaline

I have only ever been asked twice.. And both times I said yes... (Both were women oddly enough)..

20. calgary

I hope I'm at the point where i would say yes. In the past I've been very good at avoiding the topic. I would struggle if there was a group of people around and if certain people asked but really trying to get to the point where I don't care who knows.