1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do You Have To Hide That You Go On EC?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by YuriBunny, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Nekobi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't need to but since I'm not out I decide to. Luckily most of the people in my family have crappy vision, it's not too difficult.

2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I hide it on my phone with private browsing. My trick is to do all normal searching and browsing on regular safari and let the history build up so I look innocent. Also whenever my dad needs to mess with my phone I hand it over with no hesitation. I'm very careful to keep this site hidden. I'm out to my parents, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with them reading my posts and my gender questioning. And since my dad probably still thinks all gay men/women are rapists, that's even worse. Plus both parents hate the idea of me talking to strangers.

#222 DreamerBoy17, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  3. SocceRoo

i sort of have to hide it, but i don't try to hard because i kinda want someone find out (would speed up my coming out :grin:). My laptop always sits on my desk and faces the wall so the only way to see the screen is to walk in front of me and i lock my computer most the time i walk away.

4. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was worried about that since the logo is actually quite large. Even people with bad eyesight can see it from far away. If I'm really out in the open on my laptop viewing EC, then I use the "Default Style without Logo" setting for the site. (Look at the bottom left corner of the site) That way, the only way they can actually see something is to be watching over my shoulder.

5. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not in the slightest. I'm very secretive about what I do online and my roommate has no idea. Even if he did, I would show it to him and explain it. He knows I'm gay and I've mentioned before that I've posted on "gay forums".

When I'm at home, my parents don't bother me about what I do online.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No. My mom even knows about EC. One time I caught her reading posts on a thread and I said huh! How did you get on there? (Thank god I was already out to her) and sometimes I worry she secretly has an account on here and reads my posts. Also because I saw an email on her phone that said empty closet.

7. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I do.

First off because I'm not out. Second off because my parents are not LGBT friendly.

I always use the incognito mode when visiting, but I still worry they'll find out some how or another (I've had a bad experience with... ehem... certain internet search histories being found out).

8. Paisley

No I don't have to, but I do. I'm not out. And I'd like for anyone else to just not know. At least not yet...

9. rudysteiner

I do have to hide that I go on EC, and three of my friends know that I come on here. They have no idea of my username though.

I have my own laptop and I only use EC when I'm in my room but I've always got an extra tab open to something in case I need to switch, or I go straight to the Spotify app which is always open on my task bar.

My Mum isn't technologically advanced enough to know how to go through my internet history, but she doesn't know my laptop password either and I clear my internet history every few weeks anyway as a general habit.

I'm not out to my Mum or anyone in my family except one cousin.

#229 rudysteiner, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  10. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I own my own laptop (it's for school but I use it all the time out of school) and my parents aren't THAT nosy. (Though they look through my texts and my emails.)

11. Hobbes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I use my phone and not the default browser to come here. I use the secondary that's list with the other apps.

I do have to hide when I come on and my sister almost caught me.

12. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes I do mainly because I don't trust my family. The only other person that knows that I go on here is one of my best friends.

13. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I used to just go on it and eventually it showed up in my "Most visited Webpages" and I think both of my parents may have seen that but I'm not sure and I'm not out to them. So now I go into Incognito mode in Google Chrome so I don't have to worry about it.

14. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    yes because closet that i am tightly in till uni or something

15. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes mainly for privacy concerns. I've told a few people I'm on an LGBT web sight but not the URL (name: emptyclosets.com) of the sight.

When I'm at the bar or coffee shop with my laptop and I access ECs I sit with my back to the wall so no body can see the screen.

---------- Post added 18th Aug 2015 at 01:19 PM ----------

Maybe once a month you should have a talk with your mom about your experiences on ECs. Keep it high level. This may comfort her a bit. Moms are moms, very protective and well you really want to keep her stress level low.

16. pinecones

I do, because I'm slightly worried that if my parents find out about it they might go through and read all my posts. They did that to my sister's tumblr once, it did not go very well for her. I know they won't go through my laptop or phone, so I'm fine so long as I don't tell them I have an account--being on the site is ok, just so long as they don't know that I'm saying anything on it.

17. Mariliss

I'm out to everyone, so I don't have to, but if I let my family see me on it they'd probably ask about it and worry over me. So I always hide it.

18. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I dont, but everything I do online is secret anyway.

19. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I do not care who knows everything about me, as long as they do not act any different, never mention it, and I do not know that they know. Or if I do not know them.

20. thepandaboss

I guess I don't necessarily have to. But I do anyway. For one, I tend to vent a lot about my life on here and I wouldn't want certain people to figure out what I'm saying. Plus, no one really asks what I do online. No one knows I'm on reddit either.