1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where were you when you joined EC?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Querying, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Querying

Looking back on it, I joined EC almost 8 months ago, and my life has been utterly transformed since then - in part because of EC, but mostly because time heals. I came to terms with my sexuality, opened up to a couple of others, found out that around half of my friends were queer as well, got over what might have been the most hopeless crush I'd ever had, improved relations with my parents, befriended new people, expanded my music taste, virtually conquered my OCD, and more.

I'm happier now than I have been in a while. Of course, not everything is perfect, but it's honestly close enough.

How have your lives changed since you joined EC?

2. FrenchKid98

When I joined EC (in March) I was pretty depressed (not the worst I ever was but still) and had only came out to one friend (who is a girl). Since then I have progressed a lot into self acceptance and came out to a guy friend and my cousin (guy as well). Coming out to my guy friend was harder because I had no idea what his opinions were and how he would react and also coming out to a guy friend scared me more.

So I would say EC helped me a lot and without this forum and community I don't know where I would be today.
    Now I even planned to come out to my parents during this summer vacation and thanks to EC I gained enough confidence that I can now think about this idea and not start shaking and stressing out too much.

So as I said before and I'm going to say it again: Thank you to EC and everyone on here :slight_smile:

3. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember the day I signed up. It was at work. I searched for an LGBT forum on Google and stumbled upon EC. I haven't looked back since. I was questioning at the time...

In the time I've been here, I've learned that it's really ok to have same-sex attractions. And completely normal. I enjoy reading through posts on EC, and have learned a lot from the replies. I can't imagine life without EC. It's the first site I open up when I go onto the net, and the last thing I close. It's just...awesome!!! (!) (&&&)

4. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Only a few months ago...only was out to a handful of people. I've come a long way, but I have a long ways to go.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

The day I joined was my sister's birthday.

I've lurked on the forums before, for a year or two, so I knew what this place was like, from a general perspective. Since officially joining, I haven't changed too drastically. I have, since joining, been able to communicate with all types and kinds of people. I've learned new things, been introduced to new concepts and perspectives, and felt a little better, because I can help, and just be encouraging for, more folks.

Now, if I had joined about 7 years ago, then... well, I'd have just started my drastic change. That would have made for a more interesting answer, I'm sure.

6. thekillingmoon

It was around the time I was feeling depressed because I couldn't get over a woman for a long time. I can't talk about these things with anyone in real life, so I was trying to find some place where I could talk about it and other things too. It was also the time when I recently admitted to myself that I was gay, not bi. And I was still trying to get comfortable with that.

Not much has changed, I still don't have a girlfriend. But this is a good place to come and discuss lgbt related issues.

7. Yosia

I was a mess. I was crying like every night because i didnt know who i was. But EC has much helped me ^.^

8. heyguyswhatsup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't have a lot to say about this.

I joined the night before my first day back at term about a week and a bit ago. :lol:

Only changes are trying to change my sleeping pattern, slowly getting over this crush I've had for a while and I feel better seeing all my friends again...

9. wolf of fire

In bed as my next step to coming out.

10. EllieSong

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I was a mess, nervous, had no idea what to do and wasn't out to anyone. Now i'm mostly out, to all but my father's part of family :slight_smile:

11. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I think I was in college.. Wow I'd never thought of it.. Its been so long!

12. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

I think I joined in March or sth. But I'm too lazy to count the months:grin:
    I was searching for myself, my orientation, my gender a bit and in general needed someone to talk. I found it all here. And I'm still sooo glad I found EC.
    I also found a lot of confidence I never knew I had. And I learned a lot about myself.
    I looked back on many things that happened and tried to cope with them. Or at least managed it to think of them what has been a progress. I think I was able to handle them cause of EC. Thank you EC!!
    I found a lot wonderful people here! Wonderful is the wrong word. More like amazing or sth. I can't believe there are such whateveramazingwonderful people out there and I would absolutely love to meet them!!

13. duende84

I was in my bed, one miserable evening if I remember correctly. I was searching for a different point of view on being gay. I then found EC and registered. Posted my introduction message and the rest is history.

Emotionally I was lost. I was tumbling after a guy that screwed me over anyway since my views on relationships was skewed. EC changed that for the better because I could read and associate with other guys in the same situation I find myself in.

Now I have a better sense of belonging and who and what I am. I still have a long road to travel but having EC as a kind of a mental anchor makes it a bit easier.

I have also made a few good friends in the time being here.

Thank you EC and all its great members!

14. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was in February, 2013. I was sleeping on the couch for the past few weeks as I no longer could sleep with my ex in the same bed. I was taking life one day at a time wondering what to do next and whether I would ever find "the right woman"...

That night, it just hit me like a rock, there is no right woman; I am gay. That very night, I did a Google search and found EC...I don't think there have been many days that I am not on this site. It has been priceless to me.

15. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was at home on the computer late one night nearly a year ago (anniversary is in 5 days, actually). I had already told a couple people at work that I was gay but had no idea what to do next with regards to my marriage and family, or anything else. I had found a different site catering to midlife issues in general, and there was an article about coming out later in life which the webmaster mentioned as having more hits than any story they had ever posted. I was shocked--here I thought I was the only one going through this! So with a few more googles I came up with EC and signed up immediately.

I'm not sure which has been more helpful--the words of wisdom I've gotten, or being able to work through my own issues by walking others through theirs. But I doubt I would have made much progress without having EC as my safe haven.

16. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was last October. I thought I was bi, only 3 friends knew as did my parents and sister, my parents were having a really hard time with it, I knew a total of one LGBT person in this city and wasn't out to him, and I was seriously doubting my ability to find anyone who would want to date me.

Since then I've come to terms with the fact that I'm gay (although Jennifer Lawrence singlehandedly keeps me from being a Kinsey 6), pretty much all my friends and most of my extended family knows and everyone's been so supportive, my parents are a lot more accepting, I've met some amazing friends on here and a couple of them I've met IRL, and I'm going on three months with an absolutely amazing guy.

17. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out many years ago, but I still clearly remember how difficult it was for me to kick open the closet door. I managed it thanks to the love and support I received from members of an old MSN group, like Empty Closets, which has long since closed.

Back in February I was searching the internet to see if anything existed that resembled the MSN group that I missed so much and I stumbled across Empty Closets. After reading the various boards for an hour I applied to join.

My life changed for the better as a result of being a member of an LGBT forum and I made some wonderful friends. By joining EC I hope to help others on the same journey. All these years later I have personal experience, knowledge and some skills that I can use/share with others from time to time. At the same time, I might need a bit of support myself - so it's about giving and getting back.

18. I joined EC last February. I was already out to some people and I wanted more people to talk to. Since then, I'm already out everybody, including my sister and her bf, except my parents.

19. Curioustranny

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I was sitting at Starbucks drinking my macchiato and on my macbook.

20. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

The first time I saw the site I was in my room using my phone wearing white shorts and a red T. When I joined I was in the park, drinking my caramel frappuccino, using my phone wearing a white V-neck with grey jeans, that's what I was doing I remember that day because after about five days on the site, I came out to my family :slight_smile: I would have never been able to do it without the support of the members on EC. So yes I remember the day, the hour, what I was wearing, what I was drinking, and who was the first person to say welcome to EC, which was the Peacemaker, I won't ever forget about everything I just shared with you guys, because EC changed my life. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: