1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Six Californias ballot proposition moves forward

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by anthonythegamer, Jul 16, 2014.

1. There’s a plan to split California into 6 states. Here’s what it might look like. - The Washington Post

This is like the most dumbest idea I have ever heard of. It's so inconvenient since all of the laws will have to be re-written.

The education system will take a hit as well. The University of California system and the California State University system will become fragmented since they are all over the state. University tuition will increase due to out-of-state costs and most students will be considered out-of-state.

Opposition to this proposal runs across almost all political stripes. All of the left wing, moderates, and the centre-right are against this. If this passes the election, congress and the president would have to approve as well, and I doubt they will.

2. Hexagon

That seems profoundly pointless.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Tupac is going to have to change his hit song "California Love" to "California Loves", if this happens.

4. Candace

I heard that it would probably be split into two states. Six states? Well, that's just plain ridiculous -_-.

5. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    No... Just no...

6. transnerd

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's great. Having been raised in San Fran area, a lot of people there do not like to be associated with LA or anything to do with Southern Cal. But Eastern Cal is a whole different ball of wax as well. They need to do it.

7. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is just the idea of a bunch of Republicans who are tired of being so widely outvoted (See the Democrats' 70% supermajority in the Assembly and 67% supermajority in the Senate even with 3 Democrats currently suspended over federal corruption charges, and every single statewide office being held by Democrats) that they want to split up the state to give more Senate seats, and more importantly more electoral votes, to the Republicans.

"Jefferson," "Central California," and "South California" would all be red states, which would give 6 seats to Republicans in the Senate, and approximately 24 electoral votes to the GOP.

[​IMG]

8. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    In the meantime, I think we should give Texas back to Mexico.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Three of these six states will tend toward being more poor than rich. The money will be concentrated in the other three states. Thanks for the map, AG.

This guy is an idiot. He's a successful businessman and he's encouraging that sort of redundancy? Maybe it's because he will be living in one of the hypothetical rich states.

Also, it will be nuts to have to address something San Francisco, SV instead of San Francisco, CA.

I don't think this will go through.

10. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This might just be one of the DUMBEST proposals ever.

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it does bring one thing to people's attention; look how poorly equipped many areas are to manage. If California's rich, it's because it has rich cities and suburban sprawl in some areas, but some areas are neglected. If California were to split, it might force services such as health and education to be more geographically equal. Or it could result in super-rich areas being completely unburdened by the same problems other areas are.

It's not the most insane proposal, as California's population exceeds many countries', like Australia, New Zealand, and Austria (combined). However, given the disproportionate representation given in the Senate, one of the consequences would be extra representation for the richer areas (maybe counterbalanced by the representation gained in the less densely populated areas of California currently with little say due to the overwhelming urban populations)

It does reek of a gerrymandering proposal, but I guess that the US has such a flawed electoral system that you could call it relatively undemocratic as it is, anyway.

I don't think it's the best idea. But with planning, it would probably be able to work in a more effective way.

12. Candace

I mean, my dad has mentioned this to me before and he said "well it's because California is too big and has too many people". So does that mean in 50 years, when Florida has 25 million people, New York 23 million, and Texas 30 million, are we going to divide those too in order give them fair representation and amount of services? I mean, isn't that fair? Everyone gets the same amount of senators, regardless of size and population.

I just think if you give them more representation, then other states with big populations (New York, Florida, Texas) are going to want the same. Why do they get more but we don't?

Also, Texas is the only state that has the power to split into separate states. It was an independent country when it joined the U.S. in 1845, and it wasn't part of any agreement.

13. AngerAndAgony

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This entire thing is utterly ridiculous. The wealthy want to separate wealth and poorness and also the Republicans want more power. I really hate this proposal and if stuff gets passed, I would be stuck in Central, a red state. I already have enough trouble with my valley, which is part of Kern County, being EXTREMELY right-wing bible thumpers. (Like people I know call my valley the bible belt of California. It's terrible for me, who's been growing up here all my life as someone who's transgender. My preschool teacher's husband's store is filled with anti-Obama posters and most of the people up here are openly anti-LGBT.)

I seriously hate this proposal. Sorry, I just wanted to get that off my chest.

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I imagined that the central part of the state had some right wing crazy people, but not like that! The state that would be Jefferson, at the top end of California, would be much the same way. I saw a guy with a Romney-Ryan sticker on his SUV today who looked like he belonged in his SUV and like he would have a Romney-Ryan sticker. I don't even have to know that person to know I wouldn't have much to say to him, nor him to me.

15. AngerAndAgony

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Every day I see anti-Obama stuff. I see anti-LGBT stuff every day too. Where I live right now is my worst nightmare and if this happens, well it'll get worse. I've been hoping all my life to get into UCLA but if this happens then stuff goes down. Everything I have ever hoped for will fall apart.

By the way, I remember 6th grade here where I don't think there was a single person in my valley (Kern River Valley, I won't get any more specific than that, because there's a lot of towns) that wasn't gay that voted no on prop 8.

16. Tightrope is right, it's not as crazy. But I can see what you mean. Kern County is a conservative stronghold and I'm sure if this passes Congress and the President's desk, they Central California will end gay marriage.

17. Caillin

I really hope this doesn't happen I don't want to live in a red state :icon_sad:

18. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's no chance of that happening. It'd need Congressional and Presidential approval. To quote Jerry Brown when the first idea to split California in two came up,

"A secessionist movement? What is this, 1861?"

19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Correct. They'd have a heck of a time even breaking it up into two states and figuring out where to place the boundary.

20. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This was the original boundary, placing LA and San Francisco in California and putting only the reddest counties in California in "South California." San Diego is a pretty Republican city, and so that's why it wasn't California's little island down there in what would then become "South California."

In all honesty, I wish California could secede from the United States and be its own country, as I'd go move there in a heartbeat. It's got the world's 7th largest economy, so it could probably sustain itself as an independent nation.

[​IMG]

#20 AwesomGaytheist, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014