1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about Self-image

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Raatox, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Raatox

Hi!

I know I brought up this i another thread a few days ago, but by then I was really blue and like "I hate this whole shit", so I thought I'll give it a new, more serious, try :slight_smile:

When thinking about my self as a Woman, I have no clue of who I am. I have absolutely no sense of self-image.
    But when I think of myself as a Man, I know exactly that I am me.
    So, my self-image tells me that I am a man.

Now the questions:

Does anyone recognize this?
    Is it a trans-thing or can it be that I have, like, a narrow picture of what a woman is supposed to be or that I am afraid of beeing a woman or something?

And the hard one:
    Why can't I just "translate" myself as a man, to myself, beeig exactly the same, as a woman?!:tantrum:

Would be really gratefull for your thoughts! :slight_smile:

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't see myself as a man or a woman, but I identify as a man.

Weird? I don't know, really.

Sometimes, when I look in the mirror, I try to imagine myself as a man, but I can't. But looking at me right now feels foreign and strange - the typical "I see a stranger in the mirror" feeling.

And I have no idea, but someone once said that it's because gender does have physical characteristics. Here:

Sorry if you didn't want to be quoted, KyleCats. Just thought it was relevant to the topic.

3. Raatox

Oh, sorry, self-image might have been the wrong word :frowning2:
    I thought self-image meant what one think about oneself. Not the physical apperarance.

I might mean IDENTITY instead. Like, how I think about myself. My characteristics, My personality, who I am, basically.

But thanks for the awnser, and the quote!
    I also think it's difficult to really see oneself as the other sex. There is so much more to it and hormones does have a huge effect!

#3 Raatox, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  4. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, you're right. Self-image is how you see yourself, both personality-wise and otherwise.

Sorry, I think I misunderstood!

I think identity and self-image are different things. Identity is how you feel inside, but self-image is how you think you are.

If that makes sense?

For example, I identify as male, but my self-image is genderless.

5. Acm

Acm Guest

I feel the same Raatox, when I think about myself as a girl I usually don't really know who I am and just end up with some female stereotype because I don't recognize it as myself but when I try it as a guy it all makes more sense.

6. songbird

Hmm, I relate to what you're saying. I look in the mirror and I don't see gender or sex or whatever in myself. I just see what other people see, and that's me. It's like, I know the body I'm looking at is female, and I know it's me (duh), but I don't really apply that to myself, if that makes any sense. Idk how to word it, really. I know my body is is an "average female" body, but I feel disconnected from all of that. It's weird lmao.

7. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is exactly how I feel.

It's like my reflection is a stranger, yet I know it's me, and even though I look at it as a female body, somehow my brain labels it as genderless.

Weird, I know. But awesome. I get less dysphoria that way. LOL.

8. StellarJ1

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I identify as a woman internally. When I express this female personality, I feel more complete. I don't know what it means, but it is a relief to know that I have a home inside of myself.

9. birdking

Yeah I can relate to this. I can't see myself growing up and socializing and generally existing as a woman. When I picture myself in the future, I am not picturing a woman. That's actually one of the things that let me know I was trans.

I can't draw myself either, whenever I draw myself I always come out way more masculine than I actually look. Another self image indicator I guess?? haha