Avoiding my life

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by BelleLey, Jun 25, 2014.

1. BelleLey

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Sometimes i just feel like i'm avoiding my own life. I'll be 24 next month and i have never dated, or even kissed, anyone. I don't go out, i don't mingle, most of the time i'm fine on my own. But i realise that i tend to use reading and watching ( a lot) of shows to keep me from thinking about my life, my sexual orientation, my loneliness. When i have too much time for myself, i start thinking about what's wrong with me, or who i'm attracted to. Then i get really confused and a bit depressed.
    Am i the only one ? How can i get passed that ? Any advice is welcome.
    (I hope it made some sens, i normally speak french)

2. GeekMonkey

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can relate, then again i have social phobia, which is kind of forcing me to avoid life, I wish I didn't avoid it as much.

The simple answer is: just get out more. Try new things, and eventually you'll figure out what you like, not just sexually.

If you're brave you could go to a pride event or a gay bar, if you're more shy, you might wanna try meeting like-minded people from your area online first, or take a friend if you know anyone who'd go places like that.

All I know that in the long run, avoidance doesn't make issues go away, but it makes them more and more pressing, and harder to solve.

3. BelleLey

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I do feel like the longer i wait, the harder it gets.. I wanted to go to a pride event to see how it was but there isn't any near where i live. Gay bar is not really an option, i'd be too shy. But I guess i have to try to get out more, i'm gonna work on that. Thanks for the reply.

4. SheWhoHasNoName

I know exactly how you feel. most of the time i just dont want to deal with other people

5. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There's nothing wrong with you, you're probably just a bit introverted and lack some social skills. It's called social skills, you know, and as a skill it can be improved by practice. I don't know, but if you like reading maybe you can go to read to some place public, like a cafe or a tearoom. What are you reading is a good pick up line if someone's interested. :icon_wink If you like watching TV shows, there are many people who like being part of a fandom and who enjoy fangirling about their favourite TV shows, on twitter for example. You can meet people that way as well.

6. BelleLey

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks, really have to make a lot of efforts, reading in public seems like an easy way to start. I think i'll give it a try.