voice change

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by jesseve, Jun 12, 2014.

1. jesseve

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi all,

I just started oestrogen not long ago, and I know a lot of people say it has no effect on the voice, but it has had a profound effect on mine. I've lost my lower voice range and my voice range is now almost that of a woman's.

I think it's because my voice was never that deep to begin with, and because I started oestrogen relatively early (early twenties). Hence, the oestrogen is probably narrowing my voice box or something like that.

However, I seem to have lost the ability to sing properly. I was a good singer before taking hormones. Now, the power in my voice is gone, and my voice seems really breathy, soft and weak. Can this be remedied?

Thanks all! =)

2. KayJay

No idea how to fix it, maybe just practice a lot? :s

You are super duper lucky in my opinion though, voice is really tough to get right!

3. jesseve

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for the reply! Haha, well I guess I'm lucky I won't slip into a man voice and frighten everyone off. =P

Also, I know I have the pitch right, but I'll still have to practise the way I speak so that I sounds feminine - there's that manner that women speak that's quite hard to get right.

Yeah, I guess I'll have to practise singing from scratch. It's really weird though, because I never expected having to learn to sing again - considering that before the hormones I was a lead singer/backup vocalist, albeit in small venues.

4. PeytonRose

I haven't started estrogen yet but can't wait to do so. I've always had a higher voice though so maybe I'll luck out and have a more feminine voice. Who knows?

5. jesseve

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi, not sure how many of you know Chinese, but I've attached a sample of my voice saying, "Duì a, hěn kě'ài a" or 对啊,很可爱啊.

It's really high-pitched and it's aimed at being the stereotypical cute Chinese girl voice. Hope it sounds okay to you! :slight_smile:

Attached Files: