1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay: In Retrospect

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by greatwhale, Apr 30, 2014.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings folks,

Enjoying some down time after an intense three-day conference here in Indianapolis. Got to thinking about what it is about me that is gay and was gay before I knew what that meant.

This is meant as a light-hearted exercise in remembering things that could have been interpreted as "gay" had I, or others, known better...

So, a couple of things came to mind:

1) at 8 years old, I won a single merit badge as a cub scout: it was for housekeeping, I swear, it was a little triangular badge that was sown into my shirt and it had an embroidered vacuum cleaner...:dry:

2) there's a picture of me skating at 10 y.o. (I think), that in itself wouldn't be so "gay" except for the fact that both my arms are parallel to my body, but both my hands are sticking out at 90 degree angles

3) I used to like setting up the living room as a theatre production, I had paper sets everywhere, I would perform songs in front of my sister....

Ok...your turn! :icon_bigg

2. White Knight

Somehow this got me lol hard. :roflmao:

Quoting myself from another thread

I knew I was interested in boys from earlier age and also knew it was "wrong". So above one is rare.

3. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My brother, sister and I used to put on little "plays" as well. My brother was a very unwilling participant, but I generally chewed the scenery as the wicked queen. Also the handsome prince, although I recall enjoying the wicked queen role MUCH more.

I always enjoyed singing, and the first recording of my voice was belting "Climb Every Mountain" from The Sound of Music, when I was 5 or so.

And I used to love going to the big Sears store on 21st and North, so I could drift to the plumbing section where all the fixtures were displayed, because I loved the pink bathroom!

4. Reddy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    While the jury is still out on my gayness vs bisexuality...as a kid I used to demand that all my shoes be pink. One pair of pink Keds stands out in particular.

Would love to show up for morning PT (am in the Army) with pink runners, but not sure if I have the gumption to do it....!

5. mawwhite

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    OK I was in glee club before it was cool.

Somehow admitting I was in glee club is harder than admitting I'm gay.

#5 mawwhite, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  6. SRS1120

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was the only girl in shop class in junior high ( I think it was the first year that it was allowed but I didn't think twice about taking it )

7. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Omg, little shows/plays! Totally! For my sister, my parents...anyone who would watch!

---------- Post added 30th Apr 2014 at 02:08 PM ----------

Maybe that's part of the common thread that won't show up on my Gay Lifestyles thread? *smile*

8. ProtegeMoi

I used to watch Christopher Lowell everyday with my mom and golden girls with my grandma. Not typical for a little boy

9. jnr183

I stole My Little Pony's from my sisters and obsessively collected them and organized them. Less interest in GI Joe. So... my parents have no excuse not knowing?

10. Trailblazer

My mom has a picture of me when I was maybe 8, with a gigantic summer hat on, and by the look on my face I think I look damn gorgeous.. I guess that counts, right?

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Perhaps the fact that I liked Nancy Drew better than the Hardy Boys counts?

Then, it may just be that I preferred spooky old houses to running about Barmet Bay chasing the latest smuggler.

12. Trailblazer

I'd say spooky houses are more interesting than smugglers too, so that can't count.. Wait whoops I'm gay too.. :lol:

13. BelleFromHell

Well, I'm pretty nerdy... but there are feminine nerds, too. I have no fashion sense, but that's because my mom still picks out my clothes.

I don't like being 'dykey' AT ALL. I'm insecure of my femininty to the point where I'm willing to shell out hundreds of dollars on hypo-allergenic makeup, once I get a job. I don't even know how to apply makeup, what kind of woman doesn't know how to apply makeup?! :frowning2:

The stereotypes assosiated with lesbianism are 80% of the reason why I HATE being a lesbian.

14. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

We had got a cd with a cover of a woman and two men. I only can remember the boobies of the woman:grin:
    I always played with playmobil (knights) and lego (spaceships & dinosaurs).
    Wore boys clothes.
    That's basically it.
    Oh and maybe, it happened last week. My brother wanted to watch some topmodel show and I wanted to watch Stargate:grin: Wrong world:grin:

15. HopeFloats

Let's just say my barbie dolls got it on with each other way more than they ever did wih that lame Ken!

16. BelleFromHell

Your's, too?! :roflmao:

17. The username

lololololol, I have a picture like this standing next to my christmas tree. And my hair was long at the time, so it looks ... bad. Haha.

I also have a picture of me in kindergarten wearing one of my sisters dresses.

I played with my sisters barbies too.

I was gayer as a kid lulz

#17 The username, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  18. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I took ROTC in high school because I was afraid I might get a boner if I had to shower with other boys in gym class, even though I did not understand what getting a boner might mean about me at the time.

19. Clay

After being asked what my favourite colour was, I remember feeling sad when I said I liked dark purple and was told I couldn't like it because "It's the universal gay colour".

20. The username

^Yeah, I was told that too once >< I always responded and continue to with "purple is the color of royalty."