What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by girlsnotgrey, Apr 16, 2014.

1. KingJude

It's fine taking your time, as I am, but you can't try and read the book whilst there are distractions around you, or you really do lose your way!

Until I started reading this one? No, actually! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'd never really understood the Nabokov 'hype'. I'd tried to read Lolita, but never really got into it, and so I wondered why he was considered a 'great' by many people, but this book helps me understand why! I saw it's beautiful cover (the Penguin modern classics version) and was immediately drawn to it, and I read the blurb and decided to buy it, before I had even realised it was by Nabokov! After this one, I'm definitely going to have to have a look at his other works! :slight_smile:

2. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Of course, and I've certainly experienced that frustration before. To the point where you start wondering if it'd be best to restart the book at another time. :confused:

Ah, now that's interesting. I would've assumed that you were (Haha.) What does the Modern Classics cover look like? This is the version available in the US [which is alright, though not bad]:

[​IMG]

Seems that was a risky blind buy, though am very happy to see that it paid off. :thumbsup: Were there any other works of his you're especially eager to start?

3. KingJude

Yeah, I've often tried reading books in cars, on trains etc. and lo and behold, I return home to find I simply cannot recall what I have read! I have an excellent memory, but if the book is heavy, and requires deep reading, it is so easy for me to realise that after an extended time of reading I simply cannot recall what has happened! :bang:

I'm just really excited by this book! xD I am a very fussy person, generally, when it comes to literature, but I'm hooked by this one, and I feel like I need to atone for having dismissed Nabokov's work in the past!

Ah. No, the one I meant looks like this:

[​IMG]

It looks rather unimaginative and dull like that, but I thought it was very pretty when I saw it! :icon_bigg

I also bought 'Death of a Salesman' by Arthur Miller, which I'm excited to read! He's my favourite playwright, with 'The Crucible' being my most favourite play, so it's a travesty that I have not yet read it! Have you ever seen/read any of his work? :slight_smile:

I'm also sanguine about reading 'A Streetcar Named Desire' by Tennessee Williams. It's the most famous play written by Williams, the most famous American playwright ever, so I thought I should get around to it at last! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

What about you? Any books you are currently reading/want to start reading?

4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am re-reading The Lord of the Rings for the first time in a eight years or so.

5. Whisper

Out Status:
    A few people
    Right now I'm switching back and forth between Jane Eyre, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and the first Harry Potter book (for the 4560980th time). Always wanted to read Death of a Salesman!
    I'd be really interested in reading A Streetcar Named Desire, too. Never been to the play, but I've seen two film versions of it, the superior of course being Vivien Leigh and Marlon Brando. :wink: I think Blanche DuBois is such a fascinating character and reading the way Williams intended it without all the editing and censorship films cause would be awesome.

6. KingJude

I think I may have seen part of the Marlon Brando version at some point... Definitely not seen all of it though! Once I've finished reading it, I will definitely try and watch it. It'll be interesting to compare them! I got a strange look from the librarian at school today for bringing such filth as Tennessee Williams into the school library! :grin: This country really needs to move on! :roflmao:

Oh yeah, and Marlon Brando was pretty hot when he was young, which will be a bonus! :icon_bigg

#446 KingJude, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  7. RikkuOrihara667

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Blackout by Rob Thurman I read her works a lot. It's urban fantasy

8. Whisper

Out Status:
    A few people
    People are still weird about Tennessee Williams like that? Yeesh.
    Marlon Brando was pretty hot, and in that movie he is sweaty, muscular sex on legs. :wink:

I have to find a way to get my hands on the text version. I've seen a lot of Williams adaptations but never read any!

9. Bane

Winnipeg, Canada (aka temporary paradise)
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The Malice Box- Martin Langfield

10. KingJude

My school is stuck in the dark ages! Maybe I should bring 'Lolita' into school! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Then I'd get some weird looks for sure! :grin:

Yeah he was! *drools* :grin:

Yeah. I haven't actually started it yet, because I'm currently reading about a billion books, but I'll let you know what it's like when I finally get around to reading it! xD

11. Lazuri

Driving theory. End my suffering please. Like, literally kill me where I stand.

12. Whisper

Out Status:
    A few people
    Always fun to make prudish people a teeny bit uncomfortable. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I know how you feel, I'm going back and forth between 3 books, and then suddenly I decided to try Robinson Crusoe again.
    Why did I do that to myself? I remember now why I couldn't finish it before. There is No. Excuse. for one sentence to be a page and half long.
    I love reading, even books that bore other people to death. But this is just too much.

13. 2112

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin.

14. Rainbow Girl

I'm currently reading the first Vampire Academy book. I'm not very far in but I like it so far.

15. m e l v i n

just finished all of Dan Brown's novels :slight_smile:

16. 2112

A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin.

17. Aro

Aro

Just about finished Dragon Age: The Masked Empire. Will be moving on to Dragon Age: Last Flight after this one. Book is sitting on my desk! That is about enough admitting to nerd-dome for tonight, though, I think. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I was about to start one of the Game of Thrones books as well, but that's on hold.

18. iiimee

The Full Spectrum... Good book! L Carole's story is the best so far.

19. RadioRoss

The Book Thief and A Scanner Darkly....I should really try not to read two books at a time x)

20. Ahri

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Just finished Poster Boy by Anne Tenino and it was awesome! It's the (last?) book in the series about frats guys getting together and stuff (M/M). There were some steamy scenes. The books in this series were pretty good so I recommend you read it if you're maybe college aged??

Going to start on Double Full by Kinder Alexander but still reading some reviews to see if its good or not