1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Republican Ted Cruz says, 'Pray that gays don't get equal rights'

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by HuskyPup, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Okay, give me some proof for your claims. Christie wont be impeached and poll numbers aren't as low as Obama's and yet you keep saying how freaking great he is. We still have a longggg way to 2016, anything can change.

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Republican party has royally screwed themselves over, not moving forward on social issues. They will lose the polls in women, gays, blacks, hispanics, asians, and basically everyone besides white evangelicals. Christie is toast, and his guise of being a moderate will be pointed out in the primaries. Expect a crook like Mitt Romney (Who is charged with racketeering) to win the nomination and lose by a full 100+ electoral votes to Hillary. America is NOT a center right country, in fact, the base is more center left, like Cenk Uygur has said.
    A Clinton/Warren or Clinton/Davis ticket is the most likely to win currently.
    I find it unbelievable that people are griping about the Affordable Care Act, when it doesn't even go into affect until 2015-16.

Also, Ted Cruz is a wackjob, and will be a one term senator.

#22 BryanM, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  3. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Um, impeachment is definitely still a possibility for Christie. Day after day we find friends and associates closer and closer to Christie who were directly implicated in the scandals plaguing his administration. Where there's smoke there's fire.

And if Christie really was totally ignorant of all this corruption going on under his nose in his own administration, then he's a totally inept administrator.

These scandals are real, and damaging to Christie's brand, unlike "Benghazi", which is only considered a "scandal" among right-wing Tea Party Republicans who just hate Obama and would vote Republican anyway no matter what.

4. Sorceress of Az

I can't stand the people who think its alright to limit our rights.
    I find it disgusting that some heartless people vote for them.

5. ThePhoenix

I just ugh :eusa_doh:

6. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ted should go hunting with Dick Cheney... :thumbsup:

7. Nicholas1991

I dont know who that is, im not from america, but well have the last laugh when we eventually do get equal rights, the tide is turning. some people will be opposed to change until the bitter end, their loss.

8. Lipstick Leuger

Wait! Didn't it already get underminded once they allowed balcks equal rights and interacial marriage?

I get so tired of this crap.

9. willycubed28

okay I just have to say this. What Ted is saying is so wrong, and I would never vote for him in a million years, but on the same token not all republicans think like Ted. I know some people who are republican and who are for gay marriage and equal rights for everyone. I just thought I would get that out there because the problem isn't that Ted is republican. The problem is that he is saying and spewing hateful things and trying to implement things that are not right. It is just like I know some Democrats who are against Gay Marriage.

If someone who was republican and one of his or her goals was trying to make gay marriage legal for everyone in the United States (and if I agreed with other stuff as well) then I would vote that person in. Not all Republicans are against Gay Marriage and on the flip side Not All Democrats are for Gay Marriage.

10. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Eh, the lines in the sand were drew pretty clearly back in 2012. The official platform of the Democratic Party is marriage equality. The official platform of the Republican Party is to pass a federal constitutional amendment banning marriage equality in every state forever.

In 2016, the Democratic nominee for president will support marriage equality. In 2016, the Republican nominee for president will oppose marriage equality. I guarantee it.

Being opposed to marriage equality is now anathema to the Democratic Party, just as being supportive of marriage equality is anathema to the Republican Party.

11. ChameleonSoul

It's things like this that make me reassured that their will never be another Republican president until they get rid of the crazies like him...

...but this is still kind of disheartening. There are times where I to see things from a moderate's point of view, but then something like this always makes me go MSNBC. Does Ted Cruz honestly think that he can make the government's progress on LGBTQ rights revert back to the 1970s? :tantrum: There's this wonderful thing called the Fourteenth Amendment which makes his ideas unconstitutional. Of course, if on the off-chance that a Tea Party candidate becomes president and we manage to see the rise of Jim Crow Laws in America again, you can bet I'll be moving to Canada!

12. willycubed28

Are you saying that if someone is a republican that they are automatically against gay marriage? Guess what? I am a republican and I am gay. I am also for gay marriage. I am also pro-choice. I guess in those two sense I am a democrat, but I am more republican. See, I have a lot of republican friends who are for the support of gay marriage.

Now I am not talking about Republicans who run. Of course their platform is going to be to want to ban gay marriage. But I am talking about people who are not running for elections. People can't just put all republicans in a box and say "You are all the same. You all think, believe and feel this way! " Just like people can't put Democrats in a box and say "You are all for gay marriage. You are all the same. You all think, believe and feel this way".

Maybe that's just my thinking...but that's just the way I see it

13. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

No, I didn't say that at all, thus you are arguing against a silly straw man.

You can be a registered Republican and support gay marriage, you could support ObamaCare, you could support gun control and contraception.

You can be a registered Democrat and oppose gay marriage, you could oppose Obamacare, you could oppose gun control and contraception.

A few individual exceptions here or there don't mean a damn thing. The CORE of the Republican Party is anti-gay.

The PLATFORM of the Republican Party called for a federal constitutional amendment forever banning same-sex marriage everywhere.

The PLATFORM of the Democratic Party called for the enactment of full marriage equality for same-sex couples.

The people who serve in office as Republicans vote anti-gay, the people who serve in office as Democrats vote pro-gay.

A few years ago the lines were a little blurrier, with the Republicans, as always, the proudly, loudly anti-gay party, while the Democrats were the "let's just not talk about gays" party, but now, no way, the lines are drawn clearly and sharply between the two parties when it comes to gay rights.

If you run for office as a Republican who supports "gay marriage", you will lose in the primary and never even make it to the general election. Especially in a state like Alabama.

While if you are a Democrat who opposes marriage equality, you will not stand a chance in a Democratic primary. There will never again be a Democratic nominee for president who opposes marriage equality. It will probably be decades before there is a Republican presidential nominee who supports marriage equality.

14. willycubed28

I guess what really frustrates me is when people find out I am a republican they won't nothing to do with me because I am not a democrat even though I am gay and I support gay marriage.

But then I have had some people say.."Well because you are a republican you think this way!! Shame on you." and I am like I don't think that way at all.

#34 willycubed28, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  15. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's pretty funny that he says this and than a couple of days later Texas declares the gay marriage ban unconstitutional.
    [​IMG]

16. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When you register with a party you at least partly endorse or support their platform. If you don't support or endorse their platform (what they stand for) why do you associate yourself with them? The Republican party (their leadership, elected officials, and platform) are very much anti-gay, so that's why people make that assumption.

Some people might argue that they're fiscally conservative and socially liberal - And in all honesty, even when it comes to fiscal conservatism the Republican party is terrible. It makes more sense to be a fiscally conservative independent or libertarian than a Republican if you're a social liberal.

17. willycubed28

So basically I am wrong because I am a gay republican who supports gay marriage? When I vote for a president or for anyone I vote for who I will trust to have the people's best interest at heart. I actually voted for Obama the first time around because I believed in his campaign. Maybe I shouldn't identify as republican because I don't share their social values, but their are some things I do not agree with Democrats either when it comes to healthcare, and gun laws. So, maybe I shouldn't identify as anything. You are right I have been supporting the wrong one. I shouldn't even be supporting any of them actually because if I support the republican party I am damned, and if I support the democrat party I am damned...So I am damned if I do, and damned if I don't.

18. 2112

Maybe I should pray that Ted Cruz doesn't get equal rights. Oh yeah, he's a white, rich, straight Christian male and I'm not a bigot...

19. Emberstone

have you been paying attention: Chris Christie is in major trouble, and is being pressured by both parties in new jersey to resign over the fact that he abused power one time to many. he continues to claim he had nothing to do with the mismanagement of relief funds, and the illegal closeing of the GW bridge, but his behavior brought to light alot of other thuggish, mobbish abuses of power. he wont get the nomination, because he would just continue the narrative history has of republicans.

20. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not saying you're wrong, i'm saying that the Republican party (their platform, leadership, and elected officials) are very much anti-gay. People assume that you're against gay marriage because you associate yourself with them. That's all really.

And i'm not saying you have to agree with everything in a party platform, but I and many others don't view the issue of gay rights and equality as simple policy disagreements. I don't support every position of the Democratic party but I agree with enough to justify being registered with them. If, however, the leadership, vast majority of elected officials, and voting base of the Democratic party were vocally anti-gay, pushed anti-gay legislation on a regular basis, and pandered to homophobic voters in the bible belt there's no way i'd associate myself with them regardless of agreeing with them on other issues.