1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

salt craving all the time

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by KnightAssassin, Feb 16, 2014.

1. KnightAssassin

Basically I CRAVE salt . Everymeal I want to add salt , I have a few times had salt on its own but very few times.. what can this be ? I have searched but each answer is some riddle or see your doctor but what can it be? Low sodium ? Low pottasuim ? Hydration issues? What are some things to steer my searching so I can alter my diet .. I hate denying myself salt all in all sometime because I worry about overdoing it.

---------- Post added 16th Feb 2014 at 09:10 PM ----------

ps this has been going on for a few years now...

2. apostrophied

How much sodium *do you* eat? Maybe you are deficient (although that's got to be really rare lol).

3. KnightAssassin

A lot? I know it's atleast 120% daily value if averaged through the week. I intake a bit more salt than I should but it's less than I crave.

4. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We crave three (food) things - Salt, fat, and sugar.
    I wouldn't say your craving is indicative of a deficiency (though I'm not an expert), maybe just that you expel more salt during the day.

Are you a regular exerciser? Do you drink a lot of water? Do you sweat a lot?

If you can keep your cravings down to a fairly healthy/recommended consumption of salt, I don't think you should be worried about anything.

5. KnightAssassin

I do sweat a bit but physical activity is on and off sometimes, I will do martial arts . But a lot off stuff is studying and such for school so I have been more stationary but I do find myself sweating playing video games but sensation during stimulating activities is normal

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hypernatremia can result from excessive perspiration without replenishing electrolytes. Your body might be telling you something.

7. Ridiculous

It's super unlikely that salt cravings are going to be caused by anything in particular other than "I like the taste so I want more of it." And if it is caused by some medical problem, you certainly can't diagnose that problem from this alone.

Most people want salt so I don't think you are as much of an outlier in this as you think. As TJ said, you just need to exercise self control and keep yourself to a reasonable limit :slight_smile:.

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also, some people just love salt. My family and I used to put it in pizza. 120% RDA isn't that much now I think about it.

9. Ridiculous

Yeah, most people consume like three times the sodium RDI so 1.2 times is actually doing pretty good in comparison.

10. KnightAssassin

That's because I take precautions due to highblood pressure from a different disorder, I try to stay away from high sodium / salt intake for bp. Which I think now should have been part of the main post ... I will (if remembered) bring this up my next doctor visit

11. Sully

Taking into account the amount of salt in processed foods, if the OP is adding salt to processed foods, I'd bet my bottom dollar their daily intake is way more than 120% RDI.

From memory I read somewhere recently that salt deficiency is almost unheard of, I agree with Ridiculous. It's probably just that salt is so enjoyable and you've gotten used to large quantities and now you want more. I guess salts a pretty easy thing the cut back on though. Just don't add any to your food?

12. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do think you should talk to a doctor. There are some rare serious health issues that cause a craving for salt.

13. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly, except for athletes performing endurance events (such as marathons or triathalons) and only replenishing water, not the lost electrolytes (basicallly salt)

14. KnightAssassin

I prepare almost all my own meals. Every breakfast and most dinner. I avoid salt to keep things low because I know I get quite a bit . Cooking is my third favourite thing to do especially baking or grilling.

15. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    By the way if you are doing strenuous martial arts drink a lot of water. You do lose a lot of electrolytes from sweating and thus also from going to the bathroom you also lose a lot of electrolytes. Your body tries to maintain homeostasis from osmotic balancing.