1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Preacher with TV show dies from snake bite

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Tightrope, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This guy evidently handled snakes as part of his televised religious service and sermon. He lived in Kentucky.

Another West Virginia preacher died because he didn't seek treatment after EIGHT hours.

This guy died within TWO hours. This raises the question of how soon an outdoorsy person needs to get into the ER after a snake bite in order to survive it.

Reality-Show Snake-Handling Pastor Dies -- From Snake Bite - NBC News

As for these guys, it's much like the saying goes: "If you play with fire, you're going to get burned."

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    According to what I read, the guy had already lost fingers on one hand, apparently, to having a snake bite him previously. So it's possible he was particularly sensitized. And, of course, he'd already had a problem, so anyone with a brain would have stopped.

I don't like to be rude or judgmental, but in cases like these, I have to just think of Darwin's law at work.

3. Bibliophile

Chip I agree on the Darwin's law effect. However I didnt realize previous bites would sensitize you.... I thought that it would have the reverse effect honestly. Good thing I dont wanna work with snakes.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He did it because some Bible verse says that "If you're anointed by god, you can survive a snakebite." I just consider it more evidence that my beliefs are correct.

5. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find it unbelievable how people like this refuse to get treatment or even vaccinate their children because "God doesn't want it." Maybe if there is a God, he gave you these medical breakthroughs so you can live longer, healthier, happy lives.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, I have no certainty in one way or the other. I believe I've read that some people can develop sensitivity to bee stings after being stung multiple times, so I was just making a guess here. It may be something entirely different: more poisonous type of snake, bit where more venom was delivered, or perhaps he was taking a medication that made him more sensitive or something.

I do remember reading that in some cases, one doesn't have very long (hour or two at most) before antivenin must be delivered in order to save someone's life.

7. Ticklish Fish

wait, where the bible says that? The bible gave a few other immunities but I also forget them haha

8. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Quite possible. I'm one of those people who developed a sensitivity to bee stings after multiple stings. The doctors determined that by how long it took for me to have a bad reaction to the stings (about 36 - 40h or so). And, lots of other allergies develop from repeated or strong exposures. Keep in mind that an allergic reaction is simply an immune response (typically an overreaction) to something that is benign or only mildly problematic.

9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It amazes me how low reality TV will stoop to parade people about as some kind of carnival freaks; it's almost as tragic as these misguided religious notions. I recall a person also died in a show about West Virginia called, 'Buck-Wild". Then you have those Duck Dynasty guys, shooting their mouths off with all kinds of BS.

Reality TV might be intelligent, sensitive, emphatic and artfully filmed; instead, we get mounds and mounds of cheap crap.

This reminds me of not only how much I dislike religion, but also of how much I dislike television-or at least 99% of it.

10. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    He should definitely get a Darwin award.

11. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what I understand, it usually does make you less susceptible. However, we don't know if the two snakes were the same species - different species (or sometimes even different subspecies) have completely different venoms. The resistance is specific to a particular kind of venom.

Plus, some venoms you simply can't develop a resistance to.

12. NobleCrown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Here's a link that addresses the doctrine of snake-handling briefly, but clearly and thoroughly.

What does the Bible say about snake handling? Should we be handling snakes in church?

Short version, what snake-handler denominations do and what the Bible actually says on the subject are two very different things. Nowhere does the Bible instruct believers to purposely seek out venomous snakes and handle them as some sort of proof of faith. There's even a passage that specifically directs believers NOT to test God "as some of them did... and were killed by snakes."

I'm a Christian. My faith is bedrock, everything else I am is built upon it. That in no way obligates me to deliberately seek out potentially/probably/definitely fatal situations JUST to prove how strong my faith is. It's arrogant, pointless, and while I might get lucky for a while, I don't believe God protects me indefinitely from the natural consequences of my own willful stupidity.

#12 NobleCrown, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  13. Ticklish Fish

well, then why are some people faithful enough to try handling venomous snakes? there are non-venomous versions of snakes lolol.

also, handling snake because of symbolism with satan is already going in wrong direction. you don't see them handling eels? or lizards? (take this sentence not seriously please, or you can ignore this part :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

14. NobleCrown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Honestly ... judge-y me wants to say it doesn't have anything to do with faith. There's a lot of things that tend to go hand in hand with those sorts of churches that border on (or leap headlong into) cult phenomena. I've had a couple of friends who grew up in that world, tis scary and not about faith at all, but very much about control and domination over a very misled congregation. Yep, there are non-venomous snakes, but that would defeat the purpose of the test, you see. :wink:

You also don't see them drinking poison and not dying, which is the other half of one of the verses in question.

15. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always thought of the image of the snake in The Bible as being a symbol for the penis, and thus, another way for Christianity to make the body seem evil, corrupt and somehow less that Holy. I mean, why did they need an immaculate conception? What would would have been wrong with ordinary penetration?

Maybe these people should handle penises, instead of snakes, it'd be a lot safer.

16. paul samantha

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes and the Bible also says if your hand cause you to sin cut if off and if you eye cause you to sin pluck it out- Come on you guys- where are ya balls

17. Ridiculous

I'm thankful he decided to listen to that particular phrase from his book rather than the one that tells him to stone people to death.

18. Tim

Tim

My mom, aunt, and uncle, who are extremely religious, and all certified ministers, all say the same thing.

That they're going to pray for him, but not going to a hospital was the most idiotic thing they've heard. Lol.

19. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Darwin Award. Snake-handling groups are probably in the lead for sheer numbers of them. I guarantee God is up there shaking his head and considering another flood.

20. justjade

Yeah. Heheheheheh.... What an ass. :lol: