1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Canada diversity institute releases best sochi video ever!!!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Emberstone, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Emberstone

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=effb2JYiKXM[/YOUTUBE]

---------- Post added 5th Feb 2014 at 10:36 AM ----------

sorry, the youtube thing doesn't seem to be working. i even clicked not to parse links automatically, and its still doing this.

2. Nikky DoUrden

you can just remove everything except the effb2JYiKXM part which will be inside the youtube tags, and it'll put the video in the forum :grin:

3. justjade

Holy shit, that's amazing! :laugh:

That made my day.

4. Techno Kid

Love it!!! :grin:

5. AAASAS

Shit like this isn't going to help win over people that aren't won over. It's too sexual, and the majority of people against homosexuality are so for religious reasons, so this video really is either preaching to the choir, or throwing salt in the wound, pick a colloquialism.

6. Aldrick

How is it "too sexual"? It's simply taking a normal sporting act, and being a little tongue in cheek. It's like - imagine a bigoted anti-gay wrestler. Now, wrestling with other men can look pretty sexual. So, you find an image with him doing something like locking another man's head between his thighs, and plastering "NO HOMO, BRO! I'm totally straight!" over it.

It's mocking their own squeamishness around homosexuality.

Is it going to persuade bigots to suddenly embrace us? No. There really isn't anything we can say or do that will convince true bigots to embrace us. However, some people who are on the fence may see that, and get a chuckle out of it.

Mocking and ridiculing the opposition is one of the most effective ways to undermine them. This is why political satire has always been so powerful.

7. jargon

Sometimes preaching to the choir is a good thing. It expresses support to LGBT people to help show that they aren't hated by the Olympics, it might help raise awareness for casual allies, and it good for a laugh. That's 30 seconds wisely spent in my book.

8. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Best laugh I've had in days :lol:

9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know, that's a good point. Preaching to the choir can serve a useful purpose, that of maintaining strength and unity during tough times. It's only counterproductive when it gets to be all one does.

10. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

Wtf did I just watch? XD
    I feel like I have to show someone this, but then again- eh let's not....
    Weird video, but I never thought thirty seconds could be this funny :grin:

11. PurpleGrey

F L A M I N ' GAY! Love it! Not sure how effective it'll be, but damn was it entertaining! So true, though. Straight people do some pretty gay stuff sometimes... Not sure how to justify my gratuitous use of font color, but whatever. It's fun.

12. Im Just Me

That's too funny. I love it.
    Go Canada ahaha

13. AAASAS

I just know that's not the way to target homophobes, it doesn't humanize us, and just reminds them on sex between two men, which is what makes people uncomfortable in the first place. Homophobes don't care that two men or women can talk and interact, it's the SEXUAL part that gets them. And again throwing it in their faces isn't going to help.

Using the bible, Qur'an, and Torah to prove your point that discrimination is wrong will work since the majority are religious.

Again it's alright to have a gay ad that is sexual, but when you are doing it for awareness on gay rights, I think that is the wrong way to go about it. You are targeting a specific group of people with very ineffective methods. Just could have put out something that actually could have MADE a difference, and not just potentially aggravate them. With all these campaigns for rights, you'd think someone would actually try and get a point across, instead of just being callous about it. You need to consider homophobic peoples beliefs, and feelings.

Convincing someone to think the opposite of their beliefs is hard, and takes special methods to do so.

#13 AAASAS, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  14. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the ad is effective because I don't see it as about converting people. It's about mobilizing your base. It's not about convincing people that what's going on in Russia is wrong it's about convincing people who already think that to get off their asses and do something about it. As such I think it could be quite effective.

15. Aldrick

I think you're making a number of errors here.

First, is the assumption that it's just the sex that turns our most strident enemies against us. This is false, even if it was something as simple as two guys holding hands they'd have the same reaction. It's a mistake to believe that they're opposed to us because they're 'grossed out by gay sex' - our most strident opponents stand against us because we're gay. Period. No matter how hard we try and sanitize our lives, simply by virtue of coming out of the closet and acknowledging that we exist they will be moved into opposition to us. They want nothing less than for us to go back into the closet, and to live fake heterosexual lives - not because they're squicked out about gay sex, but because they're opposed to the fundamental nature of homosexuality in and of itself.

Second, it is true that there are some fence sitters (not our true opposition) that ARE squicked out about gay sexuality. This is because gay sexuality has not been culturally normalized. If we lived in a society where straight sexuality was repressed and hidden, we would experience the same level of squick when it was revealed to us as gay people. The entire issue here is that gay sexuality is repressed and hidden. It becomes normalized by making it normal, and integrating it culturally into everyday life. We walk around and are bombarded by straight sexuality all the time, and most of it is invisible to us because it has been normalized. That's what we want for gay sexuality - so open and common place that it effectively becomes invisible.

Third, because the ultimate goal is to reach the point of normalization in which homosexuality effectively becomes as invisible and unremarkable as heterosexuality, it goes against our interest to hide our sexuality. The more we hide it the less it infuses with the culture. The less it infuses with the culture, the more shocking it appears when it is ultimately revealed. It goes against our most basic and fundamental interests to try and appease our most strident enemies. Any concession made works directly against our self-interest. If we hide parts of our sexuality in order to appease them, then the message being sent is that there is something so shameful about what we do that we need to hide it.

Fourth, you make the mistake in believing the goal SHOULD BE to convince our most strident of enemies. That should never be our goal. It is a waste of resources and time. To the extent any of them can be moved to support us, it will be through individual efforts - likely through the process of someone in their family coming out to them. To the extent that we're trying to convince people it's those who aren't opposed to us, but are apathetic or neutral toward us - the fence sitters. There are a variety of methods to sway them, and the above ad - due to it's satirical nature, could potentially do it. Other methods to convince them appeal to their empathy and the sense of fairness that most people desire. For the cultural shift, to ensure that they are fully in our corner, we want them to feel that homosexuality is normal and largely unremarkable. This makes those who oppose us seem bigoted and backward.

Finally, the primary goal is to focus on young people. We want greater and greater numbers in each successive generation being pro-LGBT, because while we may not be able to sway our most strident enemies, we CAN sway their children and grandchildren.

This is how we win.

16. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    One more reason to love Canada! They get the message across in a light hearted and funny way :eusa_clap

There's a commercial from Bell too, sticking it to the Russian homophobes, it even includes a gay kiss! :thumbsup:

17. Shamash

I personally thought that this advertisement was hilarious. Of course, it's possible that it's not helping, but it is lighthearted and funny, which lifts up the otherwise rather serious problem in Russia, which is good.