Coming out to brother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by IphisAndIanthe, Feb 2, 2014.

1. I'm seriously considering just sending him a care package with a shirt that says, "I Love my gay sister." I just don't know if this is too informal. Do I owe him a face-to-face talk? I would just be too nervous to tell him directly, although I think he'd be okay with it.

Do you think this would be a good idea?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    " Do I owe him a face-to-face talk"

No you don't.

You don't OWE anyone even the most basic coming out, it's a courtesy you extend not a right they have.

If that's what works for you, go for it, just don't ignore him afterwards (unless he takes it really badly)

3. IJustWantToLove

Hey IphisAndIanthe =)

I think that's a humorous way to come out to him. I don't know what your relationship with your brother is like, though, whether you're really close or not. It might depend on that I guess.

You definitely don't owe him a face-to-face talk, and if you feel more comfortable this way, do it!
    If you feel the need to let him know by "yourself personally" you could always enclose a letter explaining your feelings or something.

Good luck =)

4. Thanks. I just feel like coming out like this is less sincere somehow.

Thanks to you too. We are pretty close, so I hope he'd find it amusing, although I can't really know for sure. We don't really have mushy talks about our feelings, so I think a really serious talk would be a bit weird for the both of us. It's just really hard to know what the best thing to do is.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "I just feel like coming out like this is less sincere somehow."

Sincere as in, 'expressing your true feelings' sincere? Unless you have another sister and left a note saying "Not me, the other one", I can't see that being anything less than perfectly sincere.

It's not sincere 'lets have a cuddle and a cry moment' sincere, but it's still just as good.

6. Thanks. You know just what to say.