1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow there are alot of gay men on this website

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChloeKiss, Jan 21, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes i'm a feminine lesbian . even if you don't know my pain thanks for caring (*hug*)

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As another gay male, I agree that males often dominate this site. Whenever I look at threads in the support forums, the threads with low numbers of replies seem to be disproportionately started by females. Or, one could look at the "boys vs. girls" game thread, and the girls often seem to lose.

That said, the ratios will only change when the women start posting more! Just look, we have 3 threads on cute/hot guys in the first page of this forum. Maybe we need a "hot girls" thread...

3. Beantown

Beantown Guest

I dunno I kinda prefer that their's more gay guys here, makes me feel safer since I feel more comfortable talking with the gender I'm not into.

4. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Well.. it's understandable. I can't speak for all girls but I get really lazy sometimes and just couldn't care less about posting threads or answers.. Today i'm going nuts replying and making threads because i'm new and have heaps to ask. :lol:

---------- Post added 21st Jan 2014 at 11:23 PM ----------

I agree actually :slight_smile: Good answer! Thanks.

Why are you sad though?! :frowning2:

5. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Oh no, you're not a nasty person! Not at all! (*hug*)

I just wanted to provide some explanation as to why internet forums generally tend to skew male.

Actually Empty Closets has a hell of a lot more women and girls than most internet forums I've been on.

For example, I belonged to an internet forum whose focus is discussion of politics and election results. The forum has existed for over 10 years, has almost 3000 members....not one single woman. And in fact even though the forum is not in any way 'gay'-oriented like this one, the majority of the posters are gay males. Asperger's syndrome is also way overrepresented among the membership. But it seems that only socially awkward gay males are interested in discussing county-level election stats from 1948 and redistricting congressional districts in Virginia.

On top of the socially awkward maleness, I think being gay adds an extra layer of social rejection that causes a lot of gay guys in particular to seek refuge in the internet. They might not be able to be out and be who they are to their families, friends, school, job, etc. Their societies reject them for their sexuality, so they seek the global society through the internet to find like-minded people to talk to and relate to. Combined with the general male proclivity toward anti-social/socially awkward personality traits, I would say gay males are actually way overrepresented on the internet compared to our share of the population.

Since, due to masculinity complex, men generally tend to be more homophobic than women, perhaps lesbian girls find it easier to come out to their straight girlfriends (they can even call them girlfriends!) and find support in their real lives, whereas gay boys do not feel comfortable coming out even to their best male friends. There was one terrible case out of a town in Russia a few months ago of a 23-year-old man coming out as gay to his two best friends who he had grown up with since childhood...his best friends tortured and murdered him, they smashed his skull with a stone, cut off his genitals, and raped him by shoving beer bottles up his ass.

And once again, women are just less likely to be prone to the socially awkward personality traits that drive men onto internet forums. (Part of the reason why a lot of the socially awkward straight guys on internet forums are permavirgins, only the socially awkward gay guys are able to meet each other through the internet :grin:).

Anyway I'm glad you find us cute (but not in that way of course), I find lesbian couples adorable too (but not in that way of course). :icon_wink

---------- Post added 22nd Jan 2014 at 02:28 AM ----------

Right now the number on the Boys vs. Girls thread is 476, indicating the girls are winning, I'm pretty sure the girls won a game recently (because I wasn't on EC at the time :grin:), and the boys haven't made it anywhere close to 1000 in quite a while. It's actually been quite an even fight recently, the numbers ranging from 400s to 500s for pages upon pages, indicating a fairly even split.

6. Tim

Tim

This is actually why I prefer having a female doctor.

If I recall, there is a hot girls thread, no one's posted in it since September though.

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/fun-games/13206-hot-girl-game.html

Though I'm not sure if the staff would prefer making a new thread or continuing that.

--

As for the topic at hand, there's definitely women here, I've noticed though that a lot of them don't really post outside the support forums.

And like Rakkaus, I disagree that gay men dominate the forum and make it uncomfortable for others. Heck, if anything, I'm slightly offended by that comment, as it's implying gay men shouldn't be allowed the same support as everyone else.

7. Beantown

Beantown Guest

ahaha umm.. well it's not that bad it's just the closet is kinda sad on it's own.
    yeah cause you lack any interest in them so it's like meh whatever.

8. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

That's so sad :frowning2: Those were not his friends! And in regards to this Social Awkwardness you have been going on about.. I just want to let you know that I use to have Social Anxiety myself :slight_smile: But I cured it with Exercise, Medication and Exposure Therapy. I just deal with anxiety while driving now because i'm still learning (Nearly good enough to go for my opens).. But I can say that's normal haha.

Anyway.. Thank you for your replies you seem like a lovely person :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 21st Jan 2014 at 11:40 PM ----------

I prefer having a male doctor too :slight_smile: I didn't mean to come off as rude ha.. Unless you are talking about another persons comment saying men dominate this site. There was another comment that stated that.

---------- Post added 21st Jan 2014 at 11:46 PM ----------

---------- Post added 21st Jan 2014 at 11:49 PM ----------

I understand that feeling.. But just recently my oldest sister found something on my phone (thinking it was mums) which of course i didn't believe and went off at her because I thought she was suspicious of why I didn't have a boyfriend/show much interest in guys. I felt horrible went to my room then she knocked asked to come in so I let her in and apologised. She said you are just like me (because she gets mad in the same way but feels bad after it). we talked for like.. 20 minutes about my sexuality and she was so supportive. I told her I was only bisexual though.. I still keep my hopes up to this day that I haven't found the right guy yet. My sister actually said during the conversation that she believes we are all born this way. She is the best sister I could have asked for.

I don't know why i'm telling you this I guess just to let you know that it's possible you wont get a bad reaction out of everyone.

#28 ChloeKiss, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  9. Cigsmoker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi ChloeKiss,

I am sorry to hear that you seem to find more gay men in this forum than women. I just signed up the other day and I am still not familiar with how things roll in this site. But rest assured that regardless of our sexual orientations/genders, we are all here to support, guide and mentor one another and hopefully, grow together as really fabulous individuals. :slight_smile:

But I think starting a thread like will attract more women members to respond and hopefully, get to really interact with them.

And as for your "dominate the forum, which makes it less comfortable for others". remark, don't worry, as a proud gay guy, I am not at all offended by that. I'm sure you didn't mean to make anyone feel bad by being a member here. Hell, I would get more offended if someone thought I was straight. Haha, kidding!

Hugs!
    Cigsmoker [Sam]

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I hope more women come

11. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Wait, What? I actually never said outright that men dominate this thread. I just said there are more gay guys :slight_smile: I love gay guys though haha I just don't relate in a small department. It's nice to meet you Sam! You seem lovely (*hug*)

---------- Post added 21st Jan 2014 at 11:58 PM ----------

It doesn't matter honestly :slight_smile: Gay is gay anyone can help anyone. Gay guys may not understand how I feel in a small way but they certainly understand the struggle. Which is enough for me :slight_smile:

12. Tim

Tim

We're actually referring to this poster. xD Just none of us ever quoted it, lol.

But yea, welcome to EC. :slight_smile:

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    a lot of them have helped me out with my questions too so i guess your right .
    I just really like being in the company of other women sometimes

14. Beantown

Beantown Guest

That's so sweet, I'd probably come out to friends first and then my parents once I moved out since I know they'll react badly since they disowned and kicked my older brother out when he got a girl pregnant at 16. I'm hoping my friends when I start university will be supportive like that.

15. Cigsmoker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh so sorry, my dear if I misconstrued your remark or understood the wrong way. Haha. I didn't mean to. But you are lovely as well and its nice to meet you as too! :slight_smile:

16. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Okay thanks for clearing up my confusion! :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 22nd Jan 2014 at 12:16 AM ----------

I understand :slight_smile: Because lesbian girls relate to me it's nice to see them reply to things i'm struggling with (because they understand)

#36 ChloeKiss, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  17. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Yes, it was a pretty awful case, and goes to show how insecure straight men are in their masculinity that they are willing to torture and murder their lifelong best friend in a homophobic rage just for admitting he is gay. Straight men live in paranoid fear of anything appearing 'gay'.

Women are much less prone to that sort of insecurity and fear of anything appearing 'gay' (which is why women are allowed to call their friends "girlfriends" and go to the bathroom together and all that), and in fact, as mentioned, the hottest trend among straight girls is to have a "gay best friend".

Girls are also more likely to discuss their personal feelings with each other, whereas boys are socialized into thinking that discussing feelings in 'unmanly'.

So lesbian girls are probably more likely to feel comfortable coming out to their real-life straight girl friends for support, without expecting to have their skulls smashed and have beer bottles shoved up their ass...while gay boys fear rejection by their male friends if they ever discussed their sexuality with them so they turn to the internet instead and join EC. (Or the gay boys make friends with girls instead, since females are more likely to both be open to discussing feelings and be more accepting of homosexuality, giving birth to the stereotype of a gay boy having all girls as friends.(&&&))

I'm just trying to provide some logical explanations for WHY they are a lot of gay men on this website.:icon_wink

But oh I'm glad you were able to cure your social anxiety the way you did, I know how tough it is, congratulations. (*hug*)

Unfortunately my social anxiety is rather severe and so far only drugs have managed to work at putting a dent in it, though I'm hoping my work with my psychologist will eventually get me to the point where I can function drug-free.

Like you, I also have bad anxiety about driving and try to avoid driving whenever possible, even though I passed my road test and got my driver's licence at age 17.

But awww, you seem like such a lovely person too! I'm glad you joined EC. :slight_smile:

18. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Oh no that sounds horrible :frowning2: Are they anti-gay or something? Maybe it was just because he got a girl pregnant. Maybe they'll think when you come out.. Well.. at least she wont get pregnant right off the bat ha :slight_smile:

I'm actually interested in finding out how your parents react. Will you post your coming out story on here?

---------- Post added 22nd Jan 2014 at 12:21 AM ----------

Haha :slight_smile: You silly billy! See you around Cig. :icon_wink

19. Beantown

Beantown Guest

Sure but it'll probably be awhile before I come out to them since I need to move out and become stable on my own before risking being kicked out but yeah it's just their very Catholic so I know they'd be against it plus finding out their perfect daughter likes other girls would crush them.

20. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

You did a really good job at explaining things.. Logical :slight_smile: Thank you! See you around Rakkaus!

---------- Post added 22nd Jan 2014 at 12:35 AM ----------

:frowning2: It's a bit the same for my Grandmother and I.. She thinks i'm the perfect granddaughter. Like the sun to her sky :frowning2: We are that close.

If you ever need to talk to someone i'm here! Stay strong Rainbow!