1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe in True Love?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by unknown17050, Jan 13, 2014.

?

Do you believe in true love?

1. Yes.

52 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. No.

16 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
  2. Foster

3. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes, but it's very rare.

4. Gen

Gen

In what regard? As in a one and only true love?

5. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Either way. :dry:

6. Zooombini

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, as long as it doesn't necessarily have to be romantic. Parents for example generally truly love their children. I would die for my best friend, or at the very least do my damn best to protect her and I like to think she would do the same for me. Of course there are the rare romantic occasions where both parties care for each other in the same intense love and friendship, but I don't think those are quite as common or permanent as people seem to think sometimes.

7. Gen

Gen

I wasn't meaning to seem cavilling, but this topic is extremely subjective. There isn't much of a point in answering question without knowing explicitly what the creator is looking for.

Anyway, I disagree with the notion that there is some perfectly sculpted individual out there for each and every one of us. I believe that there are multiple souls out there that each of us can connect with. There are far to many people and geological locations on this earth to put too much faith in the myth of the 'one and only'.

8. toushirojaylee

Yes.

True love = how will you know if it is true love?hmm hard to find the answer..xD

9. TheGuardian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes I do believe in true love. Though I'd have to agree that Gen, no one is going to fit every single detail. If you truly loved them, you'll deal with their faults and vice versa.

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't, at least not in the way it's usually taken. The ideal given is to me just a ridiculous plot base of a thousand sickening novels.

It's not as if love is a uniform ideal; it's too complicated to be reduced to the concept of "true love." Any human interaction is going to be a thousand times more complicated than it's commonly depicted as. And what is even meant by the word "true?" Is it what we see on TV with lovers who only seem to have one-dimensional characters? Because I don't think that any "standard" of love exists.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes. I do. For other people. LOL.

12. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, not at all. I mean if there WAS one perfect person out there for me, then you can say almost certainly that I would never ever meet them. True love in the sense that there is any one person, or even a handful of people who are PERFECT for me, suggests an element of design I just can't justify.

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This raises a couple of interesting things.

First, there very well could be a person out there custom made for us, but we may not ever meet them.

Second, certain people have difficulties that would facilitate their meeting and developing a relationship with such a person.

But, because of the first point I raised, I voted yes - for others who happen to find THAT person.

14. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No.
    How can there be a "true" form of an emotion?
    [Insert reaction image of Derp Scout/Derpy Cirno here]

15. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Absolutely! "True love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT, mutton lettuce and tomato sandwich..." William Goldman

But in all seriousness. I do believe it exists, I've been fortunate enough to be witness to it, in more than one couple. True love exists when your care and passion for a person renders their annoyances insignificant, when you put self ahead of other and are rewarded exponentially, it is not a perfect, trouble free union, but one in which compromise is celebrated and the results for all are better for it.

It absolutely exists. Are we all lucky enough to experience it? Maybe not in this lifetime...

16. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think true love exist its not easy to find but its out there.

17. Night Rain

I believe in compatible love.

18. KWDBM

*looks at own avatar* Um.... For tv characters? Yes.

In real life? ...... I don't know. I don't think so. I think it's possible for two people to be "perfect" for each other, sure. But "True Love" in the classic definition of only one person out there that you are actually "meant" to be with... No. Life is just too complicated for that concept.

19. AlamoCity

Yes, I think there are many people who would be compatible with me in almost every which way possible. Finding that person will be hard and difficult, but it is possible. One must remember that you will probably always "settle" in the sense that there will probably always be another person in the world who is "better" and more compatible than the person who you call your "true love."

The key is marginal analysis. If you had the option between, say, 90% compatibility, 98.5% compatibility, and 99.99% compatibility, you would choose the 99.99% one. However, you will probably realize that, while the marginal cost of finding a guy who is 98.5% compatible as opposed to 90% is not as big as the benefit you get for the extra effort, the marginal cost of finding that rare breed of almost absolute compatibility (99.99%) probably outweighs the benefits of "settling" for someone with a 98.5% compatible rating.

In this example, "compatibility" also means the ability to work together in a relationship, share similar outlooks in life, manage finances together well, love and respect one another, and just able to live in a relationship and have the love for each other grow daily.

Then again, I sometimes am too analytical or cynical when it comes to ethereal "love." One thing is certain: I won't say what I've written here to any significant other :lol:.

20. Hexagon

No, not really. Love exists, but I don't think there is one person out there who is the only one we can truly love.