1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cartilage piercing

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by The_Poets, Jan 11, 2014.

1. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    After getting my cartilage pierced yesterday by a piercing gun I read online that it is seriously dangerous to get it done. I'm kind of scared because I don't want to get my cartilage cracked but everything online has terrible comments. A lot of my friends have similar piercings and none of them have a problem. I got it done with a 3mm 14k White gold piercing due to my nickel allergy. Does anyone have any successful stories with cartilage? Also is it dangerous to get triple piercings in the lower ear lobe because I plan on getting them sometime over the next 4 weeks. Does anyone have any advice on keeping it from cracking or getting infections

2. sammy1

I have my cartilage pierced nothing went wrong with it the only thing shitty bout mine was that it took 1.5yrs-2yrs to fully heal but I never gave up on it because the way I think bout it is if I don't take it out it will heal eventually. I cleaned it with a salt solution (1/4 teaspoon salt with a cup of warm water and dissolve it and use a cotton swab) I made myself for about 6-8 month 2x a day and it still gave me grief (sensitive, redness, pain) then I just decidided to say fuck it and not clean it then it healed. Oh another thing, a good piercer will never pierce any body part with a fucking gun! Only needles! But just clean it regularly and u will b fine! Soon u will start getting that yellowish stuff coming out of the piercing but just clean it with a q-tip and salt solution 2x a day and nothing bad will happen as long as it doesn't get hooked on anything, that is a pain in the ass!

---------- Post added 11th Jan 2014 at 08:56 PM ----------

And whatever u read online, doesn't mean it will happen to you because I had my cartilage pierced three times and nothing like that happened to me in fact I have never heard of such a thing as a cracked cartilage lol

3. lssl

lssl Guest

I have four cartilage piercings so I've had quite a bit of experience with this.

First, cleaning. I was told that cotton swabs should be avoided because the fibers can get stuck in your piercing and cause infection but I'm sure people still do that and are fine. I got a container that I could fit my ear in and soaked my ear in saline solution for a minute two times a day and I haven't had any major problems. I ended up with two infection scares before I started cleaning properly but got antibiotics from the doctor both times and it cleared it up without me having to take out my piercings. The key is catching infection early.

As for getting pierced with the gun, I knew someone who did the same thing and her piercing healed just fine. Sometimes it causes a slight change of shape of the ear around the site of the piercing but nothing more than that. As far as I know, you would already know if the piercing had done something really serious to your ear like collapsing your cartilage or some of the other horror stories they love to post about on piercing sites.

Overall it sounds like things are going fine. Just keep cleaning it and in about a year it should be done healing.

4. The_Poets

good to know. there just isn't really anywhere to get pierced under 16 or 18 around here besides claire's. The woman doing it had at least 4 cartilage piercings all done with guns

5. The_Poets

that's great!!! im so glad to hear that i would already know because although its a little bit sore it never showed any signs of cracking