1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2013: A good or bad year for gay rights worldwide?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SFSorrow, Dec 20, 2013.

1. SFSorrow

Overall, what are people's opinions on 2013, a positive or negative one for gay rights?

There's been big advances in some countries e.g. gay marriage has been passed in England and Wales, France, New Zealand, Uruguay and 17 US states; but on the other hand homosexual intercourse has just been made illegal in India (affecting 17% of the world's population), there's the situation in Russia, and today Uganda's made it punishable with life imprisonment.

2. freeskies

I think overall as years progress we are seeing more acceptance and rights established for sexual minorities. Although there are exceptions, I think the more we make ourselves known and create more awareness the better. So 2013 has been pretty ok i suppose except in India (i come from).

3. anonomous

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    gay marridge now legal! yes. i finally have a reason to live. :grin:

4. LoveLikeWar

Out Status:
    Some people
    I think this year have been very good for us. Although there has been a lot of homophobic attacks, I have also seen a lot more acceptance.

5. leer

more & more areas of country`s accept gay marriage or civil partnerships witch is all good but places like Uganda who today passed a homosexual law with people facing life in prison if prosecuted.

6. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh please. It is going to get worse. Legislations don't do f all. You still have people spreading so much bullsh*t about homosexuals. Well I come from a different culture so...

7. the premise of the thread is overall worldwide for LGBT

in the USA & Europe plus for marriage for homosexual yay for me! I can get married - no girlfriend yet so BFD

and yet we still have as I hear it trans people getting killed as or more often than before

world wide we are moving backwards as there is legalize hate in Russia

and it becomes criminal to be us in India & In Uganda

I would say overall big loss for the year

just because I gain here does not mean I lose site of what my brothers and sisters get in other places.

8. DesertTortoise

Horrible world wide :Central African Republic, Uganda (with the aid of American fanatical Xians), India. Ghana, Russia, Iran, just for starters... with some token improvement in a few affluent countries for privileged people who are inclined to assimilation.

#8 DesertTortoise, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  9. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    On the whole I'd say it was bad. A lot of these advances are icing on the cake albeit a nice cake, but there was far too many places where gay rights have regressed or gotten worse and in a lot of places it's stalled completely. Arab spring brought precisely zero change, the Korean military still discriminates against gay servicemen (but are more than happy to force them to take up arms and give them no option of CO status without a jail term), it's still perfectly acceptable in some states in the US to be openly bigoted and not be called out on it, Africa has decided that they like the Running Man so much that they're going to legally bring it in and use LGBTI people as contestants and we've given two World Cups and an Olympics to two countries where bigotry is government sanctioned.

So yeah for me it was great that we can get married in a few more places, but there's still too many places where it's perfectly acceptable to discriminate against or that have declared open season on LGBTI people for it to be called a good year.

#9 GeeLee, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  10. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It is a sad year for gay couples in India, Australia, and Uganda.
    Trans rights stayed roughly the same.
    Overall, bad year.

11. Exactly what I was going to say. I feel like the bad far outweighs the good.

12. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh. I can't believe I forgot Russia.

13. SFSorrow

I should have given my opinion too - looking at the world as a whole I'd say it was quite a bad year. Gains in some, already tolerant countries, but too many major setbacks elsewhere. The advances that we make shouldn't blind us to how awful it is in much of the world:

83 countries where homosexuality is illegal | 76 CRIMES

One potential advance is Pope Francis' apparent recent thawing towards gay people. Obviously very early days but if it did lead to real change then that would be good news for 18% of the world's population. Trying to be optimistic here.

I don't know much about how trans* rights have changed this year, anybody got any info? [Should probably have made the title of this thread LGBT rights.]

14. did you realize you pretty much can't look this up on the internet?

it isn't there, I can find a tiny bit of stuff on US and Europe that is it.

15. Beware Of You

Mixed, In England and the US there have been great leaps towards same sex marriage, but in contrast you have Russia, India and Uganda

16. TheUglyBarnacle

I think the cons outweigh the pros as far as gay rights are concerned. So a bad year, in general.

Regarding trans* rights, I know the Netherlands and some states in the US made some (significant) progress but other than that I haven't seen much change. Even though many awful events of transphobia have been reported as well, I'd say that it was a neutral to good year since I'm pretty sure those things have always been happening, just only now got acknowledged.