1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Republican says poor children should be required to work for food

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by WeirdnessMagnet, Dec 20, 2013.

1. I got free lunches for a while & it was humiliating the idea of having to do even more would have probably made me attempt suicide in the 7th grade rather than waiting until the 10th grade

(obviously the bullying in my school experience was pretty bad)

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Make a man a fire and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life.

That one?

3. Tim

Tim

So I'm really the only one who ever attended a school that did this? Lol.

And although not tied to free lunch, when we lived in North Carolina, the entire kitchen apart from cooking was staffed by students. Each week, the class in charge of it would rotate. Would only affect 4th-6th grade students.

To give the kids a sense of work, and accomplishment.

I didn't really find it demoralizing when I had to work in the kitchen to qualify for free lunch, nor did I when I had to when everyone else had to.

4. Silver Sparrow

Ugh… Just…

5. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So thought here, but kids who pay for lunch likely aren't doing it with there own money. They are getting a free lunch too just from their parents.

6. Doorway

I don't even buy lunch at our school, I usually just pack a sandwich, some chips, and a soda of some sort. When I was in like 3rd grade, I kept getting awful food poisoning from the school lunches, so I've packed ever since.

I actually read somewhere that PRISONERS get better lunches than most public schools. That's just not right at all :eusa_naug

7. blueberrymuffin

How sick and petty the republican ethos and "work ethic" is. If you leave it up to them, soon children will be back in the factories 14 hours a day like it's 1880. By that i mean poor people's children, not their own.

8. Especially where they grade on a curve, requiring some to get bad grades

never heard of this,

the idea here was to single out the people on welfare and make sure people saw them "earning their keep", might as well have put them in stripe and added a ball and chain.

they are actually doing this, by shipping most jobs overseas they are in nations with zero protection laws and in those places many factories are full of womyn and children actually chained to machines and locked in dank factories for 16 or more hours a day

Children or Slaves: Child Labor in Asia
    Children or Slaves: Child Labor in Asia - Video

https://chinaview.wordpress.com/category/social/employment/slave-labour/

if they had their way all laws will be brought into compliance here also - this is the meaning of capitalism, I want money I will make it however I can - PROFIT over people

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    And how are kids gonna learn in school if their to hungry to concentrate :confused:

10. girlonfire

The damn kids would rather work than be hungry, I'm sure. Fucking upper class morons. I'm sure he knows what true hardship is. He was probably one of those kids that thought they were entitled to everything. Ugh. Makes me sick

11. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

At schools that I've worked at, the kids who get free or reduced lunch got the same debit card style lunch card that everyone else got. They handed it in to get scanned just like all of the other kids did - only the person at the computer scanning the cards ever knew who wasn't paying because the balance would show up on the computer. I worked with a lot of elementary aged students who didn't really understand the concept of money in their account that was being abstractly represented by the card. They just all understood that they handed in their card and then got to eat their lunch. I don't think any of them needed to learn a lesson about free lunches. Everyone hands in a card, everyone gets a lunch.

12. saltprince

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know a lot of politicians don't seem to care about children that aren't their own, but this is seriously gross.

13. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think all members of congress should have to work an extra 10 hours a week, cleaning their buildings and doing janitorial duties, in order to show them the value of an honest day's work. I wanna see Paul Ryan pushing a broom down the capitol corridors, with that pouty look he always has!

14. Hexagon

I didn't realise that, though that makes it even worse. Its besides the point, though, really. A person's worth should not be measured on anything, not their money (or parent's money), not their intelligence, ability to pay attention, luck of being high on a grade curve or anything else. To say food should be tied to something says that some people are worth less than others.

15. Emberstone

you have to understand: Facists are never embarressed.

16. Aquilo

Sweeping can be fun! Especially when you're listening to some good music and sweeping with the rhythm.

Let them (and managers/CEO's/bankers and all other people who have the same opinions) clean really dirty toilets instead. With toilet quota per hour and quality checks and angry shouty managers, to induce enough stress and realism. And remove all income above minimum wage to let them appreciate a real day of honest work.

17. These people who are saying these things actually do believe in a caste system

They are worth more than I am , merely by birth and family and then as they lived, also by how much money they have, they have tons of ways of ordering people

AND flushing you down the toilet is NOTHING to them

I read it online all the time, I see it in my benefits being cut, I hear it in their comments on the hill, you mush have heard the recording of Romney calling us leeches?

18. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed, the toilets are a much better idea! Along with the quotas and angry, shouty managers. After that, they can pick up litter between the capital and the Washington monument.

19. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Perhaps we can expand the programs and tie them to have corporations receiving subsidies to clean our national parks and waterways. There are those who are hooked on government handouts.... They include Exxon and Monsanto among many others.

20. Emberblaze

Yeah? And how's about we work to pay for the air we breathe? Or the sun's warmth?

You know, so people understand that there is no such thing as a free life.