1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you do if you won $636 million?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwesomGaytheist, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Doorway

I come from a wealthy family (not $236mil is normal kinda wealthy, though), so I'm fairly well versed in dealing with money. So, I'd:

-dish $5 mil out to friends and family
    -buy a nice house ($4 mil)
    -go to college debt free! ($1 mil)
    -buy everything I'd always wanted ($500K)
    This'll leave me with about $212.5 million dollars. Then, I'd invest about 5% into various stocks. I'd also set up a charity for under-priviledged emotionally disturbed kids (named for my mother, who works with mostly poor ED kids at her school), using 10% ($21.25 million!). Then I'd get some plastic surgery to fix some aspects of my body ($50K). This leaves me with a grand total of $188,075,000. More than enough to let me live comfortably and pass money onto my ki-oh...yeah :bang:

I'd still get a good paying job to add a bit to this fortune, just to make sure I have enough in case the shit hits the fan. Never take money for granted, no matter how rich or poor you are. Things can change :eusa_naug

Also, here's what $3 mil buys around here :grin:
    470 River Bend Road, Great Falls VA - Trulia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wayyy too big for my tastes (17K sq.ft. :eek: the hell ya gonna do with that?!), but hey! I have $188.1 million dollars! Plus the exterior and foyer are the spitting image of my grandpa's house (although upscaled quite a bit). Lovely land too. Nice space to roam in. My house is just too damn big for the lot (5000 sq. ft. On a 1/3 lot, you can see right into the neighbors' bedrooms :help: ). Townhouses have bigger lots than this monster. Gimme a small house on a normal lot (or a big house on s big lot) any day!

#21 Doorway, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  2. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What I didn't need to live out my days with, I'd invest, give to family, and set up a random acts of kindness charity.

I sold so many tickets today at work. It was actually pretty sad.

3. Motto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would start the charity that you guys all donated to. :slight_smile:
    Just kidding, I would BUY MORE LOTTERY TICKETS. hahaha

4. starfish

Gulfstream G650 and flying lessons.

They are backlogged about 3 years, so that would give me plenty of time to get my license and rating.

5. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I would help with whatever my family needs, quit my job, move across the country, and pretty much start over.

6. Hexagon

I'd never play. But meh.

I'd support myself through college and uni, then buy a house of the type I described in the 'Dream life' thread. I'd keep enough that if for some reason, I wasn't able to work, I'd be able to live, then use the rest to do something good. Maybe destroy capitalism, end meat production, that sort of thing.

7. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people

Yeah, this.

8. Doorway

9. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    This question is so intrusive, isn't it?

10. Doorway

Why ruin things for other people? Some people like meat, some don't. Animals are killed by other animals throughout the animal kingdom. If you don't like it, don't eat it.

Also, you realize that by destroying capitalism (how? why?) you'd go broke, right?

11. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    I would create some business( not sure with) and i would recruit homeless people to work there, also i would give an education and training to those homeless people. The plan is to turn money into more money while simultaniously helping others long term... I mean i dont see much sense in hing others by giving them food or money, i prefer giving them a life.

I will invest money in improving my small city turning it in atractive place for turist, i would focus on culture with the purpouse of turning my city in an important place for artis worldwide, so we would get lots of concerts, exhibitions, etc.

I would improve my home (without exagerating) and i would travel all over the world.

12. leer

I would make sure family we comfortable not have anymore money worries .buy the house in dream house thread i would buy a few houses flats that need doing up then rent them out .would still be working am still young and enjoy my work .

13. Hexagon

That doesn't give us the right to torture, enslave and kill animals. We are capable of thinking about morality, and thus, we have a responsibility to act morally. A non-human animal is amoral. Just because people like something doesn't automatically give them the right to do it.

As for capitalism, obviously I'd replace it with a suitable economic system. Aka communism.

14. fulcrum

I think I would first buy a decent house cash. Then I'd buy a second house cash and have it rented out. So the second house's rental will pay for the upkeep and maintenance of the first house. From that point forward, no matter what happens, I would have a place to fall where I can dust myself off.

From there on out, I would probably try to start a company in IT. I would buy a small holding with the idea of having it as a running concern, and eventually build a leadership camp on there for high school kids.

I would travel a bit. In a bombardier private jet of course. I would invest some of the money to just grow quietly. Yeah... thats pretty much it for a start.

15. maracont

The awkward area between bible belt and large city
    PhD in experimental psychology/dream research, completely paid off.
    Move to a suburb of Tokyo (after paying for the best possible Japanese lessons of course.) I would set up a lab specifically for research into dreaming and everything about it.
    Before this I would probably get a sex change and forget about having relationships with women since gays aren't really socially accepted in Japan yet.
    I'd pay off all debts of my family, buy my mother a house/car/drivers liscense and give her an allowance because I know she won't get a job.
    My dad would get a new paid off place and nice mercades Benz since he hasn't had a new car in his life. You get a house, you get a house, EVERBODY GETS A HOUSE!
    I would donate to the bank of nerdfightaria, become a major lender on kiva, throw money at Kickstarter, and finally set up the SPVG, or Society for the Preservation of Video Games.
    In which I would buy every videogame ever made up to then and get a sealed copy and unsealed copy of every game and system that comes out after that, putting it all in a museum.
    Thanks for letting me waste some time, I get this fantasizing from my dad:rolle:

16. StarNights

StarNights Guest

keep maybe 500k and then get rid of the shit, maybe give it to charity. I dont want any more than that.

17. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The winning numbers were 8-14-17-20-39 and the Mega Ball was 7. I threw away a dollar on it and didn't match a single number.

Two people hit the jackpot: one in San Jose, CA and another in Atlanta, GA. If you're in either of those places, you better check your tickets. That said, 20 people across the country won $1 million by matching the first 5 numbers, and two of them were in California, who pays their lottery prizes on a peri-mutual scale, so those two each won $2.5 million.

So unfortunately for millions and millions of people, myself included, their problems were not solved last night. I have to continue saving money for my plan in the spring, and all those people whose hope was on the lottery last night, still had to go to work this morning.

18. man dolen

Buy really great caravan, some weed, lot of beer, and I would take my best friends on road trip across Europe and Asia. Then I would just disappear, buy nice loft in Singapore. And I would live happily ever after.

19. Doorway

First off, one rich person could not overthrow the entire meat industry, let alone the entire economic system of a major country (remember that Russia and Cuba and China had revolutions that involved coup d'état's and large groups of people). Meat in the US is a $200 billion industry. 1 person with $236 million isn't even a blip on the radar. The US government is worth trillions of dollars, so once again, some dude with $236 million is like throwing a grain of sand at a fighter jet. It's laughably ineffective. Plus, the US government has a large military and the support of millions. Your ass would be grass. Hell, there wouldn't even be grass, just a hole in the ground where you and some grass used to be.

Second off, communism is, quite frankly, a stupid idea that only makes sense until you think about it. Communism is a 'revolution by despotism' (all personal liberties are abolished). People can't select their jobs, which means that a car mechanic who really sucks with cars gets paid just as much as the one who has a true passion for fixing cars. The lack of competition means that a company can put out the crappiest cars imaginable and not go out of business simply because they're the only ones in the game. There's a reason you don't see too many Edsels, Delorians, or Pintos on the road anymore. They were bad cars, and so their companies stopped producing them because nobody bought them. In a communist society, you'd have to keep driving that crummy Pinto or Delorean simply because you have no other choice. The government also runs out of money since it has to control everything and has few means of gaining money. Just look at the former Soviet Union, Cuba, or Northn Korea. They're awful places to live. Russia, Eastern Europe, and most of China are still pretty messed up. Everything's dirty, everyone except some jackbooted a-holes are dirt poor, and the citizens are deluded into thinking they're doing fine.

Tertiarily, who the hell are you? Just because you don't like something doesn't mean that we all need to get rid of it. You are just you. You are 1 person in 7+ billion. No matter how rich you become, you're still not worth any more than anyone else :smilewave

I like the way this guy thinks :thumbsup:

#39 Doorway, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  20. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That is the first thing I noticed when I read your post lol.