1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Singing songs in a different language

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Data, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Data

Data Guest

I loved to sing songs written by Ozone back when they were still a band. I didn't speak Romanian, but since I listened to the songs over and over again I could reproduce the same sounds and sing the song correctly. I still listen to Ozone and sing along, but I also now love to listen to and sing along with Rammstein songs. I don't know German (only a few things) but I look up the lyrics, listen to the songs, and eventually can sing along from memory pronouncing everything properly.

Now, the fun for me is when I sing a Rammstein song like Ich Tu Dir Weh, neither my mother nor my sister know what the lyrics mean. I literally sit in the living room and play Fallout: New Vegas while singing a song about brutal BDSM. :thumbsup: I can then sing Mein Teil and they have no idea that I'm singing a song about how two men arranged a date during which the one man cut off the other's penis and both ate it together.

Does anyone feel the same way? Sometimes I wonder if people in other countries sing/listen to English language heavy metal or even modern songs that are all about sex and such.

Even though I live in Tucson, I still don't speak Spanish. Many people blast Spanish songs in their cars and I have no idea what they're saying. They could be advocating an invasion of the US and I would have no idea.:lol:

2. Bolin

I usually sing along with Italian and German operatic classical music. I know all the words to Bach's aria "Ricetti gramezza e pavento" from BWV 209 and can sing along. I can also sing along to the first movements of his "Coffee Cantata."

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heh, thankfully I know enough Spanish to get around in a pinch, and to understand somebody if they are talking about invading us lol.

Our Spanish teacher played a song for us called "La Camisa Negra" (The Black Shirt) and while the lyrics are mostly meaningless even once we understood the words, it's still a great song. :slight_smile:

[youtube]kvEvATBiQ5U[/youtube]

4. Data

Data Guest

^ That song is pretty easy to bob your head to. How meaningless are the lyrics? Are they total gibberish?

This reminds me of The Ketchup Song. Everyone loved that song and nobody knew what was being said. :grin:

5. English Frenchman

This. I do this so much. Singing along with La Dona é Mobile or Wintereisse. Oh, so much Wintereisse.
    I know all the words to most of the cycles and it’s quite fun to just sing it when I’ve got nothing to do. It makes for never having a dull moment.

6. timo

Oh, I can assure you there are many people out there who have no clue what English songs they're singing... :slight_smile:

I have a thing for German punkbands (like Feine Sahne Fischfilet) but I can only understand about half of what they're singing. But still I sing along cause it's so damn catchy :lol:

Also, watch the video. It's gay themed and quite wonderful.

7. I know all the lyrics to "One Winged Angel" Sephiroths theme from final fantasy. Yes, I'm that geeky.

8. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  9. timo

10. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  11. Rainbow Girl

For my choirs that I've been in over the years I've sang songs in French, Finnish, Japanese, Chinese, Latin, Hebrew, an African language and gibberish as well as English. They're might be some I'm forgetting too.

12. Sitri

I listen to a lot of eastern European folk music, and after a while I find myself singing along even though I have know idea what they are saying.

13. GayNerd

I've been meaning to sing songs iin Japanese. (These songs are Nintendo video game songs, so yeah, origin from Japan, you get it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ) But my brother beat me to it. But I shall, one day. In fact, I may even start right now. (Sees 'Roseanne' is on Tv) YOLO!!!

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not total gibberish, just very abstract. I also think some of it is local slang that we, as Americans in the class, might have a hard time interpreting.

15. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've tried it with Japanese and Chinese songs. Not too hard if you have a pronunciation guide with an English(?) alphabet (romaji and pinyin respectively).

16. Hopeful

Oh my gosh, that's Juanes! I know a little Spanish (un poco!) and my sister used to need to listen to Spanish music or watch Spanish TV for homework, so I got her a Juanes CD and La Camisa Negra was on it.

17. the only song i can sing in a diff language is the macarena but even then its like

dsahjdgjasdhajs eeeeh macarena!

so i dont actually sing spanish at all just make it up haha :lol:

18. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I've tried to do some german, russian chinese and japanese stuff before. The trouble is sometimes the songs are obscure to where I can't find any lyrics in the original language for them. It's kinda sad cause I do like to know the meaning of a song I really like, espeically if it's not in english and I have no idea what it's about at all. Though that never stops me from liking the song any less :slight_smile:

19. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

Sometimes I'll sing anime openings (or, at least, parts of them) that I know particularly well, though I don't do all that well with the pronunciation.

I'll also sing songs in German, but I feel like that doesn't count because I know the language.

20. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only songs I sing in a different language is Spanish but then again I'm Mexican so I always listen some Spanish music. I really love the fast upbeat songs that make me want to dance.
    For instance Metela Sacala by El Chevo is a great song to jam out to.

El Chevo - Metela Sacala (Official) - YouTube