can you defend yourself?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by swifter, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm actually working on strength training. Defending myself is part of the reason.

2. Pocky

Yeah sure I can see your point. I've got really good situational awareness as well (It's saved me countless times from crappy drivers :lol:slight_smile: but yeah, I've never had to physically defend myself so to answer the original question, I don't know. I know some basic boxing moves but that's pretty much it.

I'm Not entirely convinced on the 'effeminate guy' stuff though. Is there any evidence to suggest that it's true? I mean, maybe things are different where you live but statistically speaking, all males aged 16-25 have the highest likelihood of getting bashed.

3. swifter

swifter Guest

i will only say: i said it could happen, i gave an idea, i was wondering if you could handle something like that, or has it happened to you, but you are free to choose your appropriate scenario if you desire to.

---------- Post added 10th Sep 2013 at 04:34 PM ----------

pepper spray is a good option! as some people have stated i don't care if it is illegal i will spray the whole bottle on the basher's face if it came down to it xD

#43 swifter, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2013
  4. Data

Data Guest

I would never trust my life to a tazer, baton, pepperspray or any less-lethal device. I consider a baton les lethal, but in my hands it would be lethal. If the attacker is attacking you, they mean you harm. You need to do them harm in order to be equal in force. If they're bashing you, walk away. The minute it becomes physical, you are in danger of being killed. Are you going to trust your life to some spicy spray? I wouldn't want to be sprayed or tazed, but it wouldn't deter me from killing a person. A gunshot would, and a few knife wounds probably would too. I would personally back down from a person with a baton as well, but others might not.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I superficially agree with you. But I feel that you might be underestimating pepper spray. It is definitely not aerosol Tabasco sauce.

Scoville scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The hottest pepper on that scale is still less than half the strength of the toughest defense spray; nobody would use it if it weren't hardcore stuff.

Most fights are probably not going to be life or death, but when one of those LTL methods fails, it's reasonable to assume your life is in danger and use all available force.

6. Data

Data Guest

I did use a hyperbole to underline my bias. While pepperspray isn't something you want on you, it wouldn't stop me from trying to kill someone I really really wanted dead. The only pepperspray I'd consider using in a SD situation is Fox Labs 5.3 pepperspray. It is the hottest and most effective I've seen. Still, the person MAY be able to kill with it applied.

The tazer will incapacitate, but only for 5 seconds. Then I'd pull a lead off and go after the person again. It's hard to reload a tazer. You can only use it for contact tazing at that point.

Look up some YT vids about pepperspray tests. It's shocking. People can still complete obstacle courses after a good hit. A rage filled man won't be stopped by a hit of spray.

Also, what if the attacker happens to be wearing glasses? :wink: It becomes almost useless at that point.

7. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to be truthful...no. Which is why I try to be as safe and careful as possible...but I guess it could still happen. Especially cause I live in the South.

8. swifter

swifter Guest

;-; i'm alone with my childish attitude, i was exaggerating, but of course i would use my moronic and brutal force to stop the attackers, or if they are armed i would just try to get out of there as soon as possible!

9. stephenstills

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Against 4 people? Nope. I practised Aikido for a while and know a couple of throws and defensive moves, but even though I'm a tad over 6ft. tall, I'm skinny. I'd just try to incapacitate them long enough to escape. I'm currently strength training though, with the aim of defending myself and the people I care about if needed.

10. Cloud

I do karate and self defence lessons. I think I could probably defend myself depending on who I'm up against. I could probably take 2-3 people if they weren't enormously huge and strong.

11. ScatteredEarth

I've shown myself able to defend myself on multiple occasions :3 and if it doesn't serve me well later on in life well then a handy dandy tazer will :3

12. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

4? No... :lol:

But majority of Bullies are all talk and no action anyway.. and if you hit one down they aren't as tough as before.. or at all :lol:

13. Wells

Wells Guest

The circumstance has never appeared in my life however I would like to think so. As a person I am a fighter, so I would, with enough rage, fight.

14. swifter

swifter Guest

we should all include self-defense lessons at LGBT centers :grin:! for those that are afraid to go to take lessons in place where there is a tiny possibility of being bashed once they know who you are by those d**chebags that could be encountered.

15. RedR

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It depends on the situation. I am a very strong man (a bear) and I have been fighting my whole life. I boxed for 12 years. I have fought 1-2 guys with no issue. 3 guys is a work out and I fought 4 once. I won but barely. I was a trained and veteran fighter back then so I wouldn't recommend anyone try it. Unless you are fighting for your life or for someone you love.

16. 6ix

6ix

I say this humbly and hope I don't come off as arrogant, but unless any of those 4 girls in the hypothetical scenario had any kind of training I could whoop them no problem lol. I've spent most of my life training in martial arts and my entire adult life and late teens in Thailand. Highly proficient in Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, krabi krabong (double sword), knives, etc.

But with that said, no amount of training can save you from a lucky shot. I'm a very polite, non-confrontational and gentle person so I would avoid this kind of situation at all costs though, even if it meant getting chick slapped or something without retaliating.

17. LILuke

Four on one? If it came to blows I'd have to outrun them - which is where all my years of running track would hopefully come in handy. >><<

If running wasn't an option though, hey I have some faith in myself one on one, maybe even two people. But four? Just being realistic here, I'd have my ass handed to me.

18. elliezenny

Out Status:
    Some people
    nooo I'm a MASSIVE wimp

19. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

No, I'm 115 lbs and barely 5'7 and have pretty much no muscles...which is why I need a big strong man to be my protector and defend me....(*hug*)

Though it is scary knowing if I'm out there by myself and anyone ever gives me trouble, I would have no capacity to fight them off, I'm quite fearful of being the target of violence, particularly if I dress the way I like in lots of tight and bright clothing, especially with all the anti-gay hate crimes occurring in NYC lately...which is why a lot of times I'll deliberately dress in a boring 'straight guy' way. Sad that I can't feel free to be myself because of fear of violence. :icon_sad:

Lately I've been considering whether I should get some pepper spray/Mace or something to carry in my purse, though I wouldn't even know where to get it or how to use it. :confused:

20. swifter

swifter Guest

maybe taser guns? >:3 i would love to fry some assaulters, who's with me?!