1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anyone else a "prepper" or "survivalist?"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Jul 2, 2013.

1. AlamoCity

I have a confession to make. Underneath my bed, there are 15 5-gallon pails of dry goods (e.g. wheat, beans, rice, sugar, etc.) all hermetically sealed in Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers. I also store other things for emergencies. I don't do this for zombies or anything like that, but I was always a boy scout at heart (never did join) and have followed the mantra "Be Prepared" for most of my life. It may even be because I am gay and have always felt I would be discriminated against and would have to fend for myself or because I am overly cautious and protective of anyone I love. It's funny that I'm gay because that doesn't fit the image of someone who likes to prepare for emergencies on a larger scale because usually they're portrayed as either a Mormon or a far-right wing/anti-Federal government fanatic/ "Patriot" (read: Obama is the Antichrist, blah blah blah).

I should add that I hate terms that try to describe people like me, especially "survivalist." It has that stigma that I don't like and most people who call themselves that would probably hate a homosexual. But such terms are part of the American psyche, at least thanks to the shows like "Doomsday Preppers."

Anyways, I began to worry about natural or man-maded isasters following 9/11 and the anthrax scare (I still remember trying to figure out a way to get my doctor to prescribe me ciprofloxacin to have on stock in case of an emergency), although I didn't really get into it more until Hurricane Rita, when I was 15. If I get a boyfriend/partner, I just hope he doesn't think I have a few loose screws. Sure, I may be very conscious of my surroundings, never sit at certain table seats in restaurants (lack of vantage points to entrances/exits), and avoid places where crowds can pose trouble, but, in general, I consider myself pretty normal.

If you like to prepare for disasters, even if you just live in California and have a 3-day supply of food and water for earthquakes, I'd like to know about it.

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've become really interested in the survivalist state of mind and read a lot of prepper books, and I like to make sure I'll be okay if I end up unable to leave my house for a while. However, the conviction of serious survivalists that something catastrophic is going to happen within their lifetimes, and the way that some seem to have devoted their entire lives to this undetermined upcoming catastrophe, I really find quite sad.

3. AlamoCity

Yeah, I don't really go crazy over it. In the future, I'd like to buy a house with some acreage and grow fruits and vegetables. That way, I can have organic food cheaper than the grocery store and if something were to happens, well I'd be prepared.

I have a few books like the ones you mentioned. I also read a fictional prepper novel called "Patriots" by James Wesley Rawles, but I didn't like it because it was a bit too strong on the Christian elements, not that I have anything against that.

4. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Not one personally. But I find the concept pretty smart, I can't really say if I would ever do it. I would totally date/marry someone like that.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't so much believe in an apocalypse situation being likely, but if the economy goes down the drain in Australia, I would like to have a large supply of food. In any case, I usually have a great deal of rice, dried fruit etc. that would get my family by for at least a fortnight. A terrible situation isn't all that unlikely, though, so it's not a ridiculous way to behave.

6. AlamoCity

Two weeks worth of is a lot more than most people :icon_bigg.

7. srslywtf

I don't stockpile anything.. dont have the money to keep my fridge full as it is! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But I have a bag with multitool/multipurpose knife/some other random bits and pieces/clothing/cordage/alcohol/medical supplies/seeds that can grow fruit that gives useable seeds/etc.
    I've also got a fairly extensive list of 'how to' (printed, not stored digitally)

If shit ever went down I'd get as far out of the city as I could and live in the wild.. Well.. I'd situate myself nearish to a community, in case I got sick/injured.. but I would not reveal my presence to them unless I had to. At the same time, I would help people if they needed it, despite choosing to go it alone/with 2-4 other people for the most part.

I dunno. I'm one of those people that can't read a book/study something to save myself, but I can figure out how some system works/interacts, or invent a solution to a problem. I'm terrible with written learning/that kind of thing, but I have enough of a working understanding of mechanics/biology/electronics/nature/chemistry/physics/etc that I am pretty confident will give me a way of solving most problems that arise I am not prepared for. That said, if you need something that you haven't created yet, there are alot of situations where that could mean death.

I'm not expecting any apocalyptic event in particular, but that kind of thing has happened plenty of times in earth's history, so it would be foolish to think things are any different now.

#7 srslywtf, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  8. AlamoCity

I love how you print out your information. I'm sure there are people who have a "How to cook when the electricity is out" cookbook as an ebook (not sure which one is appropriate :roflmao:. :bang: ) but I do like your bag of supplies you have. I do believe that if we were to have a disaster of national or international proportions (be it economical, act of war, natural disaster, bad luck, etc.), we'd probably not be able to fare as well as previous generations because of our reliance on just-in-time food deliveries, over-dependence (for better or worse) on technology, and the fact that we've grown so specialized in our occupations that we no longer have, in general, people versed in many subjects and trades.

9. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, if anything bad is to happen to us, so be it. We´ll be working things out and if not, we just die.
    I don´t know if I really want to survive real bad stuff, anyway.

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a fair amount of weapons and survival gear (and slight informal training). I wouldn't call myself a prepper, per se, because if it really came down to it, I'm not self-sufficient. But if life ever got rough, my group and I do have camp stoves, solar panels, water filters, bows and crossbows to hunt, guns/ammo/tactical equipment for defense, and if ammo is scarce, swords and other melee weapons. :grin:

Not that I wish for an apocalypse, but if it came, "panic" would not be part of the plan.

11. Hudson

I have thousands of rounds stockpiled for my Glock 19.

1, I got a good deal on them (clearance, yo!), and 2, when the zombies strike... I have enough to kill 30% of my county, hahaha.

Seriously, though, I'm not some insane gun nut. I enjoy my Glock, and got a great deal on ammo, and use it at the range. If the world goes to hell, though, I will be prepared to defend myself, and take the offensive against people who have things I want/need. :wink:

12. Ashen

I'm not really a true survivalist because I don't really have any huge preparations or anything stocked up like most would. But I'm the kind of person who for some reason has thought about the end of the world extensively. And I'm confident I would be a good survivor, I'm practically an encyclopedia on how to turn random stuff you find lying around into extremely useful things. Plus I've always been a good problem solver.

On that note, any fans of the colony? I was sad when they didn't make a season 3.

13. biggayguy

If things get that bad I'm not sure I want to survive. Some of those people on Doomsday Preppers are seriously OCD.

14. SchwulIstCool

Dans mes rêves de New York et des blazers...
    Australia always survives the apocalypses, Hollywood is always right. You'll be the ones loling at our graves when you're the only country they didn't bomb. :L

I try to live for now, because if I try and prepare for such an event, I know 30 years of my life will pass by in paranoia and I end up being the only tragedy.

15. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The world isn't going to "end" it hasn't for thousands of years hence could well not occur for another few thousand year. And even if it did would you really want to survive it. Going from worrying about trying to be happy and enjoy yourself. To worrying about living to the next day. Also you can only really prepare for one or two possible doomsday situations if another one happens which would be likely then your screwed like the rest of us :slight_smile:

16. AlamoCity

17. Hexagon

I wouldn't be that surprised if there were an economic collapse that destroyed the government. If so, I could probably survive. I'd raid the supermarket and stockpile food. I suspect, unlike some people, I'd be smart enough to go for the grains and pulses, instead of things that taste good. But I can't bring myself to actually do it beforehand. And plus, I have no money.

18. AlamoCity

I agree with the grains and pulses too; I actually love lentil soup. They have the most bang for your buck, are extremely nutritious, and have a very long shelf life is stored properly. Just make sure you have enough water to cook the pulses (unless you grind them into a flour) and have a nice grain mill to save time and energy :slight_smile:.

19. Hexagon

I hate lentils. But I'd eat them if I had to. I also grow some veg, and I have loads of seeds. And with the rain here, I'm really not concerned about water lol. And I don't eat meat, so I wouldn't have to worry about it going off. So... overall, I think I might survive to rebuild the society. My way :wink:.

20. TheMopPetal2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wanted to bring some life back to this thread. I have always been interested in prepping but I've never had the means to start prepping until recently. I've started building a bug out bag and also bought an awesome rifle that's meant for survivalist situations. The stock folds into it's self so I can throw it into a backpack and get outta dodge concealed and it takes 223/556 rounds which would be fairly easily attainable if the poo poo hits the fan. I have also joined a couple threepercenter forums and have been open about my sexuality and I haven't had a problem with anyone on the forums because of it yet, they all seem to be ok with it even if they may not agree with it.

The reason why I prep is because I feel like I have an obligation to help keep my family and friends safe in the event of some catastrophe weather it be natural, man made, or government induced(i.e. economic collapse).

A lot of people look at prepping in a doom and gloom kinda light but people have been preppers even before it started becoming popular! My grandma and grandpa used to grow their own food and raised animals and also canned their food as well. I suppose I got interested in prepping from them! It can be fun too because you can test your bug out bag by going on camping trips as well! One of the threepercenter forums I joined, which is specifically for the people who live in my area, has backpacking contests in the summer with four people teams to see how well everyone's bug out bags and get home bags operate and they also hold classes in my local area about how to operate ham radios and shooting guns, etc. It can be a lot of fun and it's not all about the doom and gloom stuff.

#20 TheMopPetal2, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015