1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which horror movie scared you the most and why?

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by Samael, Jun 12, 2013.

1. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

My favorite horror movie is Jacob's Ladder (1990), because it's a film that genuinely both scares and intrigues me, and inspired my favorite horror game series, Silent Hill, which itself had a fairly decent film based on it in 2006.

2. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Paranormal Activity 2:
    I was so scared that when a light went on near by bathroom window, it looked like someone had turned the light on there and I was almost afraid it was a demon.
    Why? I'm not sure, it just freaked me out. Maybe because the people seemed real.

3. peachwad

Out Status:
    A few people
    When I was younger Sean of the Dead scared me… the scene where the zombie came out of the shower traumatized me for life I swear, I always have to check what's behind the shower curtain now :icon_redf

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really find the gore fests entertaining. What I like is a movie that presents characters you really like and then proceeds to mess with your head about them. With that in mind I would have to say Wait Until Dark. I know it's not exactly a horror movie--I mean it's Audrey Hepburn for Pete's sake. But even after having seen it probably ten times, it still gets to me when he opens the fridge in the dark apartment. And even now that I know it's coming I still can't help but jump and shriek a bit at that moment towards the end (if you've seen it you know the one I'm talking about).

5. MetalRice

Friday the 13th 2 I think, it doesn't anymore through.

6. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know this is going to sound like bravado, but horror movies don't scare me. The majority of them rely on cheap jumpscares or atmospheric music to create the horror. Films that can present a truly horrifying concept, and orchestrate a cast and storyline around it well are the ones that tend to make me uncomfortable, and stick with me for a while.

Similar to what OGS said, I just find gore-fests silly. Movies like Hansel and Gretal (there were several movies by this name released in 2013, but I'm referring to the one with all the guts.), Hostel, and the later Saw flicks are definitely compensating for lack of horrific ambiance with all of the explicit visuals. Silly, but entertaining enough, imo.

The only movie that has truly scared me was Edward Scissorhands. I saw it at a family christmas party when I was around six, and I would not stop crying :grin:

7. candyjiru

Hmm... I love horror movies but don't really get scared by them... my parents watched lots of horror movies with me as a kid so I got pretty desensitized? XD;;;; I watched a bunch of the Puppet Master and the Chucky movies when I was 9 and thought they were pretty cool~ but watching the later iterations of them is like omg what happened? Puppet Master is definitely camp-horror at its finest ^.^) Audition creeped me out to no end and I love Asian horror like The Eye and Shutter and such~ Trick R' Treat was really well done and is one of my favorite horror movies of all time (along with horror-comedy Tucker and Dale VS Evil XD;;;; )

If you like horror-comedy, definitely check it out:

[YOUTUBE]sGP8ZGWeTSA[/YOUTUBE]

8. NaomiB

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    "The Others" because I was young and hadn't seen or heard anything about the Sixth Sense yet, so I was completely surprised and freaked out with the ending. I talked about how surprised and freaked out I was about it and I told my neighbor's dad about it and he was like "I wasn't surprised at all...it was just like the Sixth Sense", and that's how I found about the surprise twist ending at the end of the "Sixth Sense"....so then I watched the Sixth Sense for the first time and wasn't freaked out at all about the story and the twist ending of it because I already knew what the twist was going to be

I am not sure which one would have scared/freaked me out the most if I had watched each for the first time(watch Others b4 Sixth Sense or Sixth Sense b4 The Others)....I just know I was extremely suprised/scared/freaked out by the ending of "The Others" since I had no idea what was coming.

#48 NaomiB, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  9. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    It's kind of funny actually, because I watched horror films from an early age and didn't really feel afraid of any specifically, yet there were a few things that were fairly minor or even innocuous that frankly scared the shit out of me. Like the Morlocks in the 1960 film The Time Machine, or some scenes I vaguely remembered from a kids show were a talking crocodile puppet got stung by a load of bees before biting into his own tail (I mistakenly thought it was his brother's tail, and that said brother had been stung to death and he was now eating him).

Agreed. In fact, I would go as far as to say it's probably the only horror film I've ever seen that truly did unsettle me.

The way it's structured I think has a lot to do with it. For the first half, it lulls you into a false sense of security when there's nothing scary going on. Then gradually, little random things get thrown in that whilst they may disconcert the viewer slightly are not overwhelming, just enough to make you take notice. By the time it gets to the climatic scenes, it has become wall-to-wall disturbing, yet simultaneously engrossing. And I normally am quite dismissive of torture scenes in films because they are so often used as an easy option to scare the audience.

^This. I'm not opposed to gore itself but I find most films of recent years just take the lazy option of using the gross-out factor as a poor substitute for story and technique. Anyone can provoke disgust, it takes skill to produce fear. I sort of want to drag the directors to see Inside Out and say "Look, see! They are separate emotions! Even Pixar knows the difference and they make kids films!"

10. Mateo

I have to say the paranormal activity series. for me blood, guts, and gore don't make for a scary movie maybe a little cringe worthy but not scary. What gets me is psychological attacks. The scene in P.A. with the demon foot steps in the baby powder messed me up for days.

11. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Amityville Horror
    Saw (All of them)
    One Missed Call
    The Grudge I and II
    Hit And Run
    Paranormal Activities
    Final Destination (All of them)
    What Lies Beneath

12. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    I find Japanese horror films scary especially The Ring and The Grudge. They just leave a mark on you and with all the cursed objects, houses.. you wouldn't want to own antiques or old things. No snooping into old houses too.

Although I don't like blood and gore in general, I saw Final Destination 3 and it really made me scared of everything and up until now whenever something almost life threatening like almost getting hit by bus or even falling off a swing, I usually say "I almost met my final destination" I think it's silly but yeah..

13. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Evil Dead 2 probably got thr most jumps out of me. But the one that really messed with me was Cube. It must have hit me at just the right time because it wouldn't bother me now. Lost a lot of sleep and couldn't stop thinking about it for days.

14. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cube really got in my head too :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It's strange, because it isn't even that astounding in terms of psych thrillers, but yet.. there's just a certain quality to the film that makes it stand out.

15. missingmouse

missingmouse Guest

My current favorite is The Conjuring.

16. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very few horror movies have genuinely scared me.

Historically, House on Haunted Hill scared the crap out of me, because I was 5 when I saw it. Now it's just good fun.

Phantasm was just freaky and stayed with me a long time.

The Blair Witch Project was probably a bit scarier than that, just because it was more "real".

The Haunting (the original black and white version) surprised me with how much it stayed with me...probably my favorite scary movie, and realistically, probably the scariest...precisely because of what it *doesn't* show, rather than what it does. (By the way, the first time I saw it was also the same night I watched Blair Witch...quite a night.)

And finally, I watched Insidious last year at a friends absolute insistence. It was not exceptionally well written or produced. But I have to say it stuck in my head *quite* a bit more than I thought it would. I'm not entirely sure why...I'll have to see it again sometime (and/or watch the sequel) and see if I can figure out if it's genuinely scary, or if it was just the night and my frame of mind when I saw it.

#56 biAnnika, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  17. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wanted to say Begotten, but well... even this wasn't scary enough ._.