1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the word fabulous overused?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Jun 11, 2013.

?

Is the word fabulous overused among gays?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  2. No

35 vote(s)
    53.0%
  3. Maybe So

15 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. Night Rain

Words can't describe how much I hate the word and all of its variations. And I think guys who use it a bit gross. Sorry. It's been used a lot in the media and I'm just sick of it.

2. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "Fabulous" is a word I'd never use.

3. Level75

Even the most flagrantly feminine gay guy I know doesn't use the word. There is one person I know who does use it, but only when he wants to be facetious. Or even more mockingly, when he's trying to intentionally act like a caricature.

The word is just so over-the-top and unnecessary.

4. KnownSecret

The only reason I would say fabulous is from the movie: Party Monsters lol. That's when I'm with people that have seen it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Throw some glitter on it honey, go dancing! :wink:

Other then that I never say that word lol!

5. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Guys who happen to use the word "fabulous" are "gross?" :rolle:

6. Night Rain

I meant to say I find them a bit gross when they use the word, just like when somebody swears.

7. Hexagon

Fucking fabulous

8. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I´ve never used it.

I think the fact that you live in a "kind of art district" as you say it, has a lot to do with you hearing the word fabulous a lot.
    It´s a society thing, I think.

9. JPC

JPC Guest

I think I could say, with a degree of certainty, that I've very rarely said the word 'fabulous', probably less than 10 times in my whole life, and I only say it while mocking my very posh aunt who's catch phrase seems to be "that's absolutely fabulous, darling"

I don't know if its overused or not, and I don't think it's just a 'gay' word, I just happen to not like using it because there are many nicer sounding synonyms.

The one I do hate though, and it seems to be one us gays are most guilty of using, is "that's everything". That one makes me cringe.

10. Amerigo

:eusa_clap

11. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well, it's kinda silly to call someone "gross" because of a word they use.

Especially a word as positive and well, fabulous, as "fabulous".

Well, as you say, there's a stereotypical type of woman who also uses "fabulous" a lot, which might describe your aunt.

But when a guy uses "fabulous", it probably would cast some suspicions on his sexuality. Most straight guys would avoid saying it for that reason.

"Fierce", on the other hand, I think is pretty exclusively a gay word.

I've never heard of "that's everything" being a gay phrase, and in general I don't recall hearing that phrase very often from anyone, gay or straight. Maybe it's a local thing?

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh, I've never heard the use of fierce among gays, in particular. Maybe furries, but it seems pretty neutral.

Where is fierce being used? Now I'm curious :slight_smile:

It sounds kinda country/southern, as in "Somethin' Fierce".

13. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I don't know about furries, but...

"Fierce" is a very commonly used word among 'stereotypical' gay men...and the word itself is totally gay. :newcolor:

LOGO (the gay TV network) has a special bloc where they play horror movies and call it "Fearce" as a pun.

Do a google search for 'Fierce', and the first result is an LGBTQ leadership organization in NYC.

The second result is Urban Dictionary, which defines it as such:

Urban Dictionary: fierce

#33 Rakkaus, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  14. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh, interesting. I haven't had cable in about 5 years, and mainly watch stuff on the net, so I must have missed this. Though I can't say I've heard it too much in the 'gayborhood' here in Baltimore...maybe it takes time for things to travel this far south :slight_smile: Though I'm sure it's out there, if I looked.

Curious, how words and their connotative meanings are always evolving.

15. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Oh, I don't think cable is what caused 'fierce' to develop among gay men. I just brought up LOGO's "Fearce" pun as an example of how the word is ingrained in gay culture. They were just playing on a pre-established word.

As noted, the word became popular in the late 90s before LOGO even existed. I'm sure if you went to a gay bar in Baltimore you'd probably hear it.

16. JPC

JPC Guest

It's definitely not a local thing, I only know like 2 or 3 gay people back home in Ireland, so I'm not even sure what the local gay slang is, or even if there is any. It's something I've heard a bunch of times on TV, always American TV, and it's pretty much always from a very flamboyant gay guy. Granted, it's nowhere near as common as 'fabulous' or 'fierce', as you mentioned, but it definitely does seem to be more of a gay thing.

17. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, that must be it...I don't really go to gay bars...maybe once a year, as it's not my scene, really. I'm allergic to both Madonna, and Lady Gaga, and break out in a rash :slight_smile: Now if they had a punk rock gay bar, I'd be there. I suppose I'm more of an 'alterna-gay', and the gay bars here are kinda preppy, at least for my tastes. That's not to judge, though it's just not quite my scene. My mate and I tend to go to a local place that draws a very diverse crowd, maybe 25% gay, but more of an artsy, dive-bar feel, young, old, black, white, art students, bums, you name it...but very friendly, and a good place to talk to people you might not ordinarily. Sometimes, I think gay bars can have a sort of homogenized feel to them, where so many people try to uphold a certain image of 'gay' or a certain number of pre-set images (from effeminate to hyper-masculine) that I find limiting, as if it were a modern day version of The Village People, but IRL. (Though I do think their music is pretty fun to listen to)

#37 HuskyPup, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  18. ScatteredEarth

I must say that the word is overused. It reminds me of a terrible stereotype to the gay communities and is just plain.. well.. It's almost as if they are trying too hard to be known as gay..

19. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

American TV? Really? :eusa_thin I can't remember ever hearing "that's everything" as a flamboyant gay phrase, and a google search doesn't turn up anything either. :shrug:

In what context would a flamboyant gay guy use that expression?

---------- Post added 13th Jun 2013 at 02:17 PM ----------

It's impossible to "try too hard to be known as gay". :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

20. JPC

JPC Guest

It's like "That's awesome". I've heard it a whole bunch of times, most recently I think was on Project Runway (Don't judge me :lol:slight_smile: where there was a guy who would say it all the time. I've heard a few gay youtubers use it as well. As I said, it's probably not that common, but I've heard it quite a few times and really can't stand it.