1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Patriotism

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Apr 14, 2013.

?

Are you patriotic?

1. Not at all

39 vote(s)
    37.9%
  2. Slightly

31 vote(s)
    30.1%
  3. Moderately

22 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. Extremely

11 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. barca

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think patriotism gets a bad rap. It's not about infallibility, or superiority, it's just a pride and love for your home. You don't have to believe it's perfect, really you could even think it's a horrible place, but it's still home and for that I love it.

There's certainly misuse of patriotism, and when taken to the extremes toward jingoism it can have horrible results.

It's like loving your family. It doesn't mean you have to think less of anyone else, it doesn't mean your family is necessarily great, it doesn't mean they don't do terrible things, it's just the unconditional love for them (Not their actions or beliefs) :slight_smile:.

That being said, I'm not someone obsessed with symbolic patriotism and patriotism for show. It's not about pledges, flags, or anthems to me.

#21 barca, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  2. Hexagon

May I ask a question of the americans here?

What is with the enslavement to the constitution? I'm not suggesting all americans regard the constitution in this way or anything, but from what I've seen from american law and politics, unconstitutional appears to be synonymous with immoral. Surely its just an old document that isn't inherently perfect, moral or infallible, and thus shouldn't have laws based on it.

3. GingerGuy

Patriotism only led to wars and suffering in the past. Besides, no one chose the country they were born in.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going to assume you've read at least some of our national history. But then why can't you understand why patriotism would be problematic?

5. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Not at all. Patriotism is one of America's biggest flaws; I'm glad Australia is nowhere's near.

6. LailaForbidden

I've often asked myself the same question. A lot of Americans look at the founding fathers as perfect representations of all that is moral. They forget that they had their own agendas and that they often disagreed with each other quite vehemently.

It's human nature to glorify that past, I suppose. But it's ridiculous that people view what George Washington or Thomas Jefferson said (or wrote) as if they were indisputable words from the mouth of God.

Oh, as if it weren't obvious, I'm not patriotic at all :slight_smile:

7. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, I have no clue. It seems almost comical how much people cling to the Constitution for their rights at times. Especially when it comes to gun issues. The thing has been amended so many times that it now barely resembles the original document. :confused:

That's...pretty much my main issue with it as well. Most people are taught the glossed over version of American history. When I learned the truth I was just horrified. Though as they say, "History is written by the victors". Just thinking about early Native American boarding schools is painful. :tears:

8. Lewis

I am at times very proud of the country I live in and what it stands for. I love how it has maintained its traditions and how we all unite in times of trouble.

9. Ariadne

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I agree with Pret Allez. Patriotism has contributed to doing some really fucked up things.

Not patriotic at all. I'm against the existence of countries and territorial boundaries too.

10. Jameson

Of course it can be problematic. Oh and yes, I have read some of our natural history, that doesn't mean it will affect my opinion of not caring about patriotism. Also your post is condescending and a bit rude. Did you take my reply to your first post seriously?

11. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

There's a lot I do like about my country, and I'd certainly rather live here than in, say, Iran or North Korea. But patriotism is another form of indoctrination, and I'm against indoctrination on principle.

12. kem

kem

I don't like having countries in general, so no I'm not really patriotic. But if I had to say, I'm glad to live in this particular geographical area, I'm glad the society is relatively accepting, and that there are institutions making sure my rights as a human aren't neglected (although I do wish some laws were different, such as same-sex marriage and drug policies. Also welfare things).

13. FJ Cruiser

The Constitution was based on Enlightenment ideals of individuality, and it's not so much the words themselves as the spirit behind it. Because it was written in opposition to what was being perceived as tyranny, opposing it can very easily be twisted by wordsmiths as supporting tyranny. Much of the document is actually very straightforward and logical, but where most of the contention nowadays comes in is with a few phrases that incorporate flexibility. Anyone who doesn't support your interpretation of the Constitution is obviously a tyrant. *rolleyes*

That said, Jefferson himself proposed that a new constitution be written every generation so that one generation's ideals doesn't override those of the future.

I have a healthy amount of patriotism I'd say. By incorporating some of your identity with where you come from, you make the health of society a matter of personal pride, and anyone who thinks they are truly altruistic is only fooling themselves.

I'm a proud citizen of the world: The income disparity that results from exploitation makes me angry, so I'm raising money to go to Ghana this summer so that I can maybe do a small part and get clean water to a village.

I'm a proud American: I try stay up to date on the issues so that I can confidently vote for who I want in Washigton. I'll defend it against smug Europeans who don't understand the issues that come from actually having a large, homogeneous society.

I'm a proud Texan: I've done my best to inform people of the corruption of Rick Perry. We have a very high immigrant population, and I use my Spanish skills and volunteer in the barrios when I can because I don't want them to become an underclass of society. And I'm proud of how my ancestors have helped transform the prairies and forests into one of the economic powerhouses of the world in 150 years.

I'm a proud Austinite: Almost all of my business goes to local enterprises. I participate in local festivals and clean up litter so that this place keeps it's awesome "weird" vibe and continues to have great nature preserves weaving through the city.

I can't imagine how jaded I'd be if I lost a sense of patriotism or local pride.

14. Hexagon

I apologize if my question offended you.

Thanks for your reply. I'd appreciate hearing other perspectives as well.

15. FJ Cruiser

Nah, yours didn't. It was reasonable and I agree with you somewhat, though "enslavement" is a petty word to use in my opinion. That said, I've run into many smug attitudes from Europeans both on the Internet and when traveling.

#35 FJ Cruiser, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  16. Hexagon

Ah. Well, during my (largely internet based) travels, I've noticed one universal constant. (some) (most)People are stupid, narrow minded and bigoted. Its not just a european thing =P

17. prism

Could not have said it better myself.
    This will undoubtedly be the most intelligent thing I will have read on EC all month.

18. IanGallagher

Just saw '42' and one thing struck me was the hypocrisy in these lyrics:

'Tis the star-spangled banner, O! long may it wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Where is this land exactly? It's certainly not America.

If it were up to me, I'd have tar and feathered people already. Still pisses me off and makes me sad that our founding fathers aren't around because they'd likely have created this land by now in spite of the opposition.

19. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    eh......a tiny bit....maybe i dont know

20. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Patriotism is a crock of shit for the most part. Pointless to be proud of lines on a map or silly flags and costumes. You can love the people who live in your country, but worshiping an abstract idea like "nation" only leads to trouble.