1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When will, or will ever same sex marriage become legal?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ardelia, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Ardelia

Ardelia Guest

In your country.
    I'm from Montenegro, and my guess would be hundred years, or maybe never.

#1 Ardelia, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2013
  2. Hexagon

By 2015 apparently. I used to lie in Spain, and it was already legal there.

3. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'm in Belgium, where it has been legal for some years.

However, I don't think you could see it coming. If you could have asked people even just a few years before, they would have said "oh, Belgians would never accept that. Not in a hundred years!". And yet here we are now! So things can go quite quickly, if the time is right.

4. I'm not too sure what's going on in Britain, I haven't really researched it because marriage doesn't bother me. Although I do know that our Prime Minister is 'for' gay marriage and supports it. It could be legal but I really don't know.

5. Beware Of You

2015 in my home country (UK)

In Ireland where I live now depends on the referendum but opinion polls look like it will pass

6. Fiddledeedee

In the next few years, for sure.

7. Aielar

For me, I'm pretty sure it was 2005 but I could be wrong (I live in Canada).

8. I'm Scottish, and the current estimate is that it'll be legal by 2014! Woohoo!

---------- Post added 3rd Apr 2013 at 04:26 PM ----------

2015, typo.. sorry :frowning2:

9. photoguy93

For the whole US?

Well, I think Ms piggy will be flying over in a nuclear jet before we all get it. I hope it's soon.... But I doubt it will be that near in the future for everyone.

10. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Northern part of the US: Probably by 2015. Since Illinois is actually debating this and it's slowly but surely winning, my guess is if it's not legal in the next couple weeks, it will be by 2015. The southern part? My guess is... 2050-ish..? I'm sorry, but I keep hearing Georgia, Texas and Tennessee being these extremely conservative states with extremely conservative members, all of whom strongly oppose same-sex marriage.

Plus, the Feds can't really do anything about it. Marriage is a state thing, not a federal thing.

11. timo

I think it'll be legal in the Netherlands by 2001... oh wait.

I'm glad to live here, but even though it's legal to marry someone of the same sex, unfortunately there's still quite some homophobia on the streets

12. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, things can move quickly. I live in Washington (state), and I remember many saying that same sex marriage was not a viable idea within even recent years.

Last election, the voters approved same sex marriage, and the vote wasn't even close.

Like others, I think many nothern states will have same sex marriage sooner rather than later. But I think some states may hold out as long as the southern states. For example, I am hearing a lot about ND, which has passed what some are saying are the toughest abortion laws in the country. That does not sound like an environment that will even allow a second class civil union, let alone full blown marriages.

Closer to home (my home, at least), I wonder about Idaho, which has definitely had a history of being conservative. (Years back, one writer cracked a joke that Washington is to the left of Idaho, but then almost any state would be.)

13. fuzzywuzzy

I feel like this here too. But since we're a part of the EU,and the EU is working on improving the gay rights,they may press our non-existing at the moment government to work on them. So far most of the politicians say that we're free like birds, but the truth is that I can get killed on the street even if I'm straight for just "looking gay".

14. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll give my home state by 2015, but because we're the literal Alabama of the Northeastern part of the US (seriously go see some LGBTQ Rights maps and you'll see what I mean); I have very little expectations.

15. BiWidow

In Canada, gay marriage is already legal. In the entire United States, I would hope in the next 5 years.

16. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its already legal in my state, and I think within 10 years it will be legal across the US.

17. FJ Cruiser

You chose among the more urbanized Southern states to site, which would be among the first of the conservative states to legalize. That said, the Feds can do something about it since there are federal benefits to marriage. Though it likely will just be kept in scope to California, the Supreme Court could legalize gay marriage in all states by overturning Prop 8 in June. Also, the DOMA is almost for sure going down in flames. That means that states that'll marry non-residents and recognize gay marriage will marry gay couples, and those marriages have to be recognized by all states, effectively making it legal in all states. So June is basically when it will become legal in the US.

18. Ianthe

Somewhere between June and 2025, would be my prediction. If the Supreme Court takes care of DOMA, I would predict in the next few years throughout the US. Without DOMA, states will have to recognize marriages performed in other states, and when that is the case, there won't be much point to states holding out.

If the Supreme Court upholds DOMA (which I actually think unlikely), it will probably take a little longer.

19. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I don't know. Australia is fairly accepting, but our prime minister disapproves. There's been a lot of controversy, but in all Australian states/territories, cohabiting same-sex couples have the same rights as cohabiting heterosexual couples under state law. But, we're still pretty far behind in a lot of respects, considering that Julia views same sex marriage as a problem. It's legislated discrimination and against the very principle of individual freedom. Backwards thinking, so to speak.

My best guess would be after Gillard resigns from office, if we do elect a better candidate, one who approves anyway. I can't pinpoint an exact year.

20. Only 9 states in the US legalized same-sex marriage (surprisingly, California isn't one of them... stupid Prop 8). However it's very gay-friendly in the blue states and certain red states. In the blue states that offer just civil unions, I would say within the next few years. Knowing the conservatism of the deep South and part of the Midwest, I would say within the next decade or two.