1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covert book purchasing on Amazon

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by SaleGayGuy, Mar 5, 2013.

1. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi,

As some of you know I am a married guy coming to terms with being gay later in life. Several people have recommended a book by Joe Kort and I have seen that it’s available in Kindle form from Amazon.

So to my dilemma, if I buy the book from Amazon it will show up in my transaction history and I could possible receive a paper invoice through the post, or even have gay books show up on my recommended book list, any of which would blow my cover.

I decided to create a new “Secret” account and send myself a gift voucher to purchase the book. Does anyone know if it is possible to make a Kindle book purchase with a gift card without having to provide full address details?

Am I being paranoid, or given that I intend to come out to my wife sometime this year should I just buy the book through normal process and take the risk of being caught?

Sale Gay Guy

2. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh man! I feel your pain. I have lived your paranoia!

To be honest and to speak to your paranoia...

What you are attempting only works if you rent a private post office box with cash. Then pay for purchases through a blind PayPal account tied to an anonymous email address. All other routes leave a paper trail to your status.

I have never done this but thought about the process.

I never did it as I never fully trusted even this level of obscurity.

Is the book worth the risk? Wouldn't you hate that? Jump through paranoia hoops and then not like the book?

That is one thing I will not miss, kiss the paranoia goodbye.

Stuck

3. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You aren't being paranoid. All sorts of things are linked online and being outed by Amazon is not how you want to do it.

I called Amazon and asked. Gift cards are used as payment on your account, so they show up as a purchase. You'll want to create and use the other account. That other account will need your address, but nothing is sent by regular mail. They only send email.

The payment will still show up in your records (credit card, bank used by PayPal, etc) but it won't show what the item was. There doesn't seem to be much advantage to using a gift card since you're buying that anyway. The only advantage would be making it a round number so it looks like a gift card instead of a particular item.

#3 Chloe, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  4. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Stuck, you are so right about the paranoia, I have attempted 3 times this week to get the book and chickened out at the last minute.

God only knows what I will actually do with the book once I download it onto my phone, although I have the Kindle software launch icon hidden away in an obscure folder called network diagnostics you never know when things just pop up out of nowhere.

Chloe, thank you for your input especially contacting Amazon.

Sale Gay Guy

5. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Get a book reader app that has security pass codes built in. Every time it opens or goes to sleep and re-opens you want a pass code road block.

Stuck

6. My Mum did this when she was still living with my Dad. She managed to confide in a close friend and have her order the books. Would this be possible? Is there any way you can get this book through your library or a local service for gay people?

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alternatively, go to bookfinder.com and buy a used copy from a small bookseller. No records or purchase history to worry about :slight_smile:

8. PianoNate

Oh God! the Paranoia!! **face palm** I sure don't miss that! :eusa_doh:

In fact, one of the great advantages of being out is, not only books, but the wonderful world of sex toys! :icon_bigg and no worries about being found out!

9. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah the paranoia gets to you after a while. I once had an app loaded on my phone, I had kept it well hidden from view, but unknown to me it was still running in background. I often use the phone as a shopping list when we are out, on one occasion in the supermarket in the frozen veg isle my wife had just passed the phone back to me after looking at the list when I got a popup message from someone offering me a blowjob. Lucky escape, so no more shopping lists on phone and no more hidden apps.

My toys are well hidden and only get to come out and play when the wife’s away on business.

Sale Gay Guy

10. PeteNJ

Do you use multiple browsers on your computer? You should.

I think Google Chrome is the easiest for what you want to do, use the Incognito function and nothing is saved on your PC, no history. Open another Amazon account on that browser. Buy what you want. In the US Amazon doesn't send paper invoices, is that an issue in the UK? I think digital delivery is most discreet -- get a cheap kindle and use it.
    If you use the Incognito function, you won't have to delete any cookies, history, etc. its rather discreet.

11. Al123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not sure I can help you too much, other than creating a separate secret account, otherwise things do show up in your shopping history (including your latest book titles that you browsed.)

Joe Kort's books are fantastic, and are what allowed me to come to terms with my Homosexual Orientation.

Given that "10 Things Gay Men can do to find True Love" is a lot about relationships, and is not just applicable to gay life, I told my wife about my purchase. Honesty, while difficult and at times painful, has made me a better person.

12. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi folks

I overcame my paranoia and purchased the Kindle version of Joe Kort’s book as recommended. I did use the gift token route to my secret Amazon account so I hope I have covered my tracks well enough.

From a quick skim through it looks like it’s going to be an informative and helpful read.

Sale Gay Guy

13. MapleCross

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope that the book is worth all the anxiety and paranoia that you went through. Roll on the days when you will be free to be yourself and are able to be open about these things.

14. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The book “10 Smart things gay men can do to find real love” is definitely worth the worry and anxiety, having said that my anxiety levels shot through the roof last night when we were in a coffee shop whilst out shopping and my poor heart has not yet recovered.

I had installed Kindle reader on my phone and hidden the launch icon in a really obscure place several menu screens deep from the main menu on my phone in an area my wife would definitely touch even if she stumbled across it.

Anyway, whilst in the crowded coffee shop my wife asks to borrow the phone so she can check out some stuff on the internet for a business trip. After a few minutes she tells me she is having trouble downloading a map of the London Underground and passes me back the phone. Fortunately the Internet connection in the coffee shop was slow on this occasion and my wife had impatiently clicked 3 times on the download link so the map, a pdf document, had not yet appeared. When the file had downloaded, with the phone fortunately in my hand, a message box appeared asking which app should be used to view the document, and guess what Amazon Kindle was the top option and fortunately I had not set the default option to send all pdfs to Kindle.

If the Internet had been quicker my wife would have already have tried clicking on the first link to open the map and no doubt have discovered that the only book I have on my Kindle reader was the one mentioned above. Oh how difficult that would have been, being outed by my own phone in a public place. I had rapidly excuse myself to the toilet and delete the app after making excuses about feeling unwell.

So the morel of the story is be really extra extra careful if you share technology with the other half, this is the second time my phone has nearly given me away. I long for the day when all this is behind me and I can live a free and open life.

Sale Gay Guy

15. Hand in Hand

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    OMG! I'm sitting here ready this, holding my breath and feeling your anxiety! Glad that everything worked out ok!

16. IronCupcake

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    A couple of things come to mind.

First if you really aren't prepared to let your wife know, then have you tried the library? Or even a bookstore. (Yes, they still do make books out of paper...LOL) Might be worth looking into.

Second it kind of sounds like 'being caught' might be a way that would force your hand at telling her without you actually coming forward. Yeah, having a sit down can be scary (even in a normal divorce) I can totally understand that. (Even though I'm not and have never been in that position before....even my lovely daughter is convinced I'm gay at this point and has been bugging me about it for ages <well, good natured teasing>)

It would definitely take the pressure off as far as "the perfect time" to tell her. Like guys who have girlfriends and intend to leave their wives and leave 'hints' around. (Had one of them too but she beat him up when he asked her for a divorce and he stayed with her)
    All I can say about that though is there is no perfect time. There are just times when you do or don't do things. Just like the Doc Holliday quote: There is no 'normal life' there's just life.

I suppose the main issues would be practical ones, as in the actual divorce thing. Unless she's cool with you having boyfriends and staying married.

The other thing is not tying up loose ends so that you can go beyond the double life part of your life whole heartedly. You know it's going to happen and a book about finding love isn't going to help you until you end your marriage. I'm not trying to sound cold and brutal. Obviously you love her or you wouldn't have married her in the first place, so I understand about not wanting to hurt her, but...It's not really fair to either of you until you can work out splitting up. Does she have a clue at all about any kind of distance in the relationship?

This would happen in a hetero relationship as well so don't beat yourself up about it being a gay thing.

I don't know if any of this makes sense but hope some of it helps.

IC

Personally I would LOVE to be 'married' to John Barrowman! Yeah BABY! Of course that's just me...

(*hug*)

17. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi IronCupcake, thanks for the comments and welcome to EC, it’s a great place for advice and support and you will make many friends on here.

I feel that I am very close to coming out to my wife now probably within the next few weeks, I did try this last weekend but she was so distraught and crying at my really serious depression I did not want to push her too far. I have thought of deliberately on purpose getting caught with some material relating to support for LGBT folk coming out but think a direct approach would be better.

I watched a program recently about brain surgeons who operated on children, and when it came to delivering bad news to parents it was best to be really clear very early on in the conversation. This is because the brain starts to shut down within a few minutes of receiving really bad news in order to protect its self from overload. So I think I need to tell her at a time when she can absorb what I am saying.

I think she already knows or at least suspects that I’m gay and we are really in a “Don’t ask, don’t tell” situation with neither one of us prepared to rock the boat. I think she would fight to keep the marriage going in some form since she is very insecure and would go to pieces without me. I am still working through ideas of possible futures with the aid of others who have been in this situation.

She knows of distance in our relationship and our marriage has been sexless and lacking in intimacy for years at her instigation, she is just not interested in sex and doesn’t like cuddling up in bed for more than a few minutes each night. She must know that a normal red blooded straight guy would have left her years ago with that treatment so it should not come as a surprise. It’s also possible that before we were married, and way before I knew I was gay, she had realised I was gay either consciously or subconsciously and that suited her since she was asexual.

Oops I have rambled on a bit, so by for now.

Sale Gay Guy

P.S. the book is more about understanding the gay man mentally so you can find a compatible partner rather than a guide on how to find other gay guys. It's very interesting.

#17 SaleGayGuy, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  18. RainbowMan

So I have a question - I bought that book as well. I'm not concerned about it being on my phone or anything, I'm out to the only person in the world I'd let use my phone.

What I'm concerned about is "Amazon Suggestions" - I frequently use Amazon in the presence of people that I'm not out to, and an outing by Amazon would be awkward, but not the end of the world.

So how do I get Amazon to "forget" that I bought that book for the purposes of making suggestions of other similar items to me?

19. Wolfie Charm

Click “Recommended for You”. It will say ‘these suggestions are based on items you own.’ Click “items you own” then find your item and select “Do not use for recommendations.” Very useful for anything clogging suggestions or private.

20. RainbowMan

Thanks! Speaking of clogging suggestions, I bought a joystick for a very specific purpose, and now it thinks I want to buy every video game under the sun :slight_smile: