1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight pride. Offensive?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stuffiscool, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. All41

I'm waiting for the day when heteros are treated as 2nd class citisens

2. LILuke

:bang::bang::bang:

Sometimes I wonder about the future of our species...

3. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not necessarily offensive...just superfluous. Why is there a need for straight pride, when society constantly affirms straight identity and tells us it's the "default" orientation? There isn't. The only reason to have straight pride is to combat gay pride, which is yet another unnecessary attack on LGBT identities.

4. DatChickBassist

Out Status:
    All but family
    “Gay Pride was not born of a need to celebrate being gay, but our right to exist without persecution. So instead of wondering why there isn’t a Straight Pride movement, be thankful you don’t need one.”

This quote describes my feelings on straight pride

5. Praetor

People who make up things like "straight pride" aren't necessarily offensive. Just stupid.

When straights express their love and devotion in public, they don't have to worry about hate speech being yelled at them. Nor do they have to worry about someone arresting them, beating them, bullying them, harassing them, mocking them, degrading them, or even killing them, just for being who they are. In the world, there is no country that makes it illegal - in some countries punishable by death - to be who they are. Religion, philosophy, and politics are not used to eradicate them from society. They don't become depressed and contemplate suicide because of who they are attracted to. They never need to lie about their sexuality, sometimes using others to cover it up. They never need to fear their own sexuality.

If one day that is all reversed, then perhaps a "straight pride" would be necessary. Until then, it is nothing but a parade of ignorance.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Every day is "Straight Pride". The day a kid gets harassed for being straight, a couple gets denied hospital visitation rights because they're straight, a couple gets denied the right to get married because they're straight, laws get passed that strip the rights of the people strictly because they're straight will be the day I'll support someone wanting to start a "straight pride" event.

But of course that will never happen.

---------- Post added 22nd Sep 2013 at 12:51 AM ----------

Amen

7. rjrh20

I don't like it because we only have gay pride because we need it, they have straight pride to be cocky and quite frankly for all the people who are steaight pride and hate gay people, that are coping us.

8. Kat kanu

Not offensive. they are proud t to be straight like others are proud to be gay. As long as they aren't bashing gays then fine it's just a group. If i have the right to be proud of who i am so should they . I'm not trying to make them gay.

9. SomethingWitty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just find it hilarious.

That being said I tend to find taking pride in anything you didn't do/choose to become a part of a bit silly and/or annoying. I am proud of my military service, I chose to do that, and to be a part of that, but I am neither proud nor ashamed of being gay, it just is. I don't take pride in my heritage, all I did to get that was be born, same thing with being gay.

10. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Celebrating "Straight Pride" IS bashing gays.

11. DesertTortoise

Extremely offensive. Like 'white pride.' The oppressor privileged class has no claim to 'pride' for their crimes.

12. Kat kanu

Can we just have a freaking earth pride celebration and stop all the stupid fighting . Why can't we just get along

13. DesertTortoise

I said before--this is as offensive as 'white pride.' the disclairer of homophobia is bullshit.

14. TorreyGlory

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I'm gonna go with "not offensive, just massively ignorant of their privilege".

15. lukeluvznicki13

Its fine if people are straight but if they criticise or judge other people for having a different sexuality, then they are wrong.

16. kem

kem

In my original comment I was talking about having straight (or gay) pride in general, not pride protests...

There was a straight pride in Helsinki this Saturday. 50 people attended; meanwhile, the LGBT counter protest had roughly 70 attendees... It's a reasonably harmless marginal bunch of homophobes hoping to gain attention for a cause that doesn't exist. How could anyone be so insecure that they'd think traditional family values are compromised because "media is full of homosexuality"...

17. ananas

Straight pride is disgusting. The fact that they think pride is just being proud of your sexuality/gender identity makes me sick on so many levels. LGBT+ people around the world are being abused, disowned, fired, beaten up, killed, and depending on the country, arrested and/or executed. The one thing we have is Pride, but they want to steal that too. I recall that straight pride was originally a homophobic counter to lgbt pride, so anyone who partakes in it and claims not to be homophobic is a liar. They're literally just proud of being normal and benefiting from the struggles of lgbt+ people.

#137 ananas, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  18. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eugh. I absolutely love Helsinki. I can't bear to think of a city I've loved so much used as a rally-ground for such hatred. It has been very tolerant every time I've been there.

Finnish conservatism is usually a little more troublesome than that. It's rarely blatant discrimination from what I've seen of it. It's sly, but very damaging prejudice hidden behind words.

19. 2112

It doesn't really offend me as long as they aren't saying homophobic things, but it is ridiculous.

20. DesertTortoise

Yes, extremely offensive, as every form of privileged "pride" is offensive, having nothing to do with pride in who or what one is, but consolidating bigotry and oppresion and resisting giving up that power of privilege. FUCK all forms of privilege!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.