1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wyoming Domestic Partnership Fails

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Whiteboymdew, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Whiteboymdew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wyoming House defeats domestic partnership bill

The final vote was 25-34 with 1 excused.
    17/52 Republicans voted for the measure.
    8/8 Democrats voted for the measure.

34/52 Republicans voted against the measure
    1 Republican was excused because of root canal.

I believe the next time this issue can come up is 2015. Which means it will be after the elections. Also, half of the Senate will also be up for elections. The Governorship will also be up for election too. Governor Matt Mead will be eligible to run for re-election, but has so far not announced if he will do so.

2. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I called it in that other thread. Nothing was actually going to happen in a red state like Wyoming, so I hope nobody got their hopes up. Gay rights is never going to be advanced anywhere as long as Republicans are in power.

3. Whiteboymdew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you would have told me that it was going to get 25 votes I would have called you crazy. I believe if we get rid of some members in the 2014 elections I believe that this will be able to pass the House in 2015. Now with the word marriage... you are on your own with that one. But I really think this could have a shot in the future. We need to thank the 25 who voted fo this and we need to keep them in the House or move them into the Senate.

4. DMark69

My representative, Bob Nicholas (R) Cheyenne, actually voted for it.

5. madi

wow you have an extremely unbalanced group of representatives. I am sorry. You could always move here to Washington with me? We just made same-sex marriage legal.

6. Whiteboymdew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, I had a star next his name in my roll call vote. :slight_smile:

Well I mean we need to think about this...

Washington is very liberal compared to Wyoming.

7. Gallatin

This, pretty much. Though I never expected the measure to succeed, I didn't think it would garner as many votes as it did, considering the extent to which Republicans control the Wyoming legislature.

Interesting little fact: Nearly 33% of House Republicans voted for this measure, while in New York, less than 13% of Senate Republicans voted for that state's marriage equality bill. (I know it's comparing a house and a senate, but Wikipedia didn't have the voting record for the NY House on that bill, only the Senate!)

8. Whiteboymdew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

3 Republicans in the state house voted for the marriage bill in New York.
    Republicans have controlled the legislature since 1967. I don't see that changing anytime soon. However after the elections Republicans gained a couple of seats in the house and kept the same majority in the Senate.

I mean so 25 is a shocking number... 8 of those were Democrats. However, I still see a pathway for this legislation in the future.

9. stephenjack

In the past month domestic partnership, anti-discrimination, and gay marriage bills have all been brought to the Wyoming legislature, and even though they all failed, just the fact that they received a very good amount of support (I would say) in the most republican- controlled legislature in the United States, is amazing. This is what progress looks like(I know it's hard to see that since they all failed, but think about what I just said! IT'S THE MOST REPUBULICAN-CONTROLLED LEGISLATURE!)

10. Whiteboymdew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In 2011 the anti-discrimation bill came up and it failed in the house by 9. In 2013, this year it came up in the senate and failed by 4. Domestic Partnership failed this year by like 7. So I mean yes it is a Republican controlled legislature, BUT to see that many approve of these pieces of legislation is just crazy. This is newly historical. Giving the impact it could have send. I mean you don't see Utah, North Dakota, South Dakota, Georgia, Kansas, who are all pretty conservative passing such domestic partnership laws. However I mean its just insane. I never would have seen 25