What Are You Thinking?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Eric, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BornInTexas

I need to give that a watch. :lol:

2. Pain

Pain Guest

I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate HATE when 'homosexual' is used at all. It sounds other than human and I will cringe every time it is used. I am not a 'homosexual,' I am a gay person. The only scientific term I could accept as classification for myself would be 'androphile.'

3. Bolin

Sleepy kitty... *yawns* Time for beddy-bye.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The ant invasion has ended. Thank goodness for bug killer.

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Thinking about trying to lose weight again. See if I can't whittle myself down thirty pounds and develop some upper body strength while I'm at it. Might as well have some way to feel a bit more manly and powerful while I'm at home. :wink:

6. FruitFly

As a moderator on another forum I get access to areas restricted to those who identify as being male. Sometimes, because I get bored dealing with reports that are basically a reaction to someone who has a different opinion and/or slightly caustic personality I read the posts made in those areas. Quite often I wish I did not.

I had the pleasure of reading a thread where men were congratulating themselves on the fact that they could see through the silly, illogical points of view women had about rape and produce a "real" version. Then I read a few more, and I left with a very foul taste lingering in the back of my throat. I'm all for complementary marriages that are genuinely complementary, and I'm all for marriage roles, but I draw the line at the assumption that this translates to wives shutting up, putting up, and keeping their silly little female logic and silly little twittering to themselves rather than letting the "evil of feminism" give them "unholy" expectations.

It's interesting to see just how their views on similar topics differ between a mixed gender and single gender setting. It makes me question everything that is said to my face and wonder what they really think.

7. Bolin

....To eat dinner now, or not.....hm.... it's 11 a.m., better not. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Pain

Pain Guest

I'm really, really losing my interest fast.

9. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

Thinking, weeeell I guess the trans thing isn't a big deal to eeveryone. A guy who is way more my age (he's 21) and waay, way cuter than the other (32 year old) guy (who was just a meathead, tbh) said "Wow really? Well you have a really pretty face" when I told him I was trans and after chatting me up a bit asked me if I'd like to hang out sometime. He knows I am pre-op as well, sooo.

Not sure if I'm going to go (my heart is made of glass, for sure, and I don't want to put it out there just yet) but it was a NICE ego boost. And as some of you have seen I really needed that XD

10. SchwulIstCool

Dans mes rĂªves de New York et des blazers...
    As much as 'androphile' is much more precise a term...anything with -phile on the end automatically makes me think :eusa_naug or :eek:. :frowning2: damn suffixes :frowning2: I'll just take 'gay'. :3

Since when was this sort of country one where the ground just dries up literally minutes after it having just rained? :confused:

11. BudderMC

We need a "stoked" mood.

12. Pain

Pain Guest

Don't try to fucking tell me the secrets to musicianship when you aren't a musician yourself. I'm doing this for my life, and, while you can recreationally play piano, you aren't nearly the musician I am.

13. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm bored but then again it is summer.

14. clos

What am I doing! What do I want!

15. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol, I just randomly butted in on a conference for K-12 math teachers.

I liked the message they were giving - conceptual and structural mathematics are equally important.

However, there was one point of emphasis that they had - wanting students to do well on standardized tests (which, in the US, you need to have your students do if you want to keep your job).

They let me speak... I made sure to say that that, meeting expectations on standardized tests ought to be the lowest priority, if you care about your students' ability to succeed in the future -

I hope I got the point through, it sums to this - prioritizing, in any way, standardized tests, will likely only give the student a structural understanding of mathematics. It's the only way standardized tests can be given. And too often that is all I saw/see K-12 teachers doing.

Such is why the fail rates for Calc II and Multivariable calculus in colleges are so freakin' high. A student has just been plugging in equations their whole life, and never got a grasp of the conceptual nature (i.e., what the hell those numbers actually mean) of mathematics - which is what you need to succeed not just in college but also in an actual field using those applications.

It's why America is slowly falling in the math and science department. And it needs to change.

.....Bleh. Long story short, if a teacher cares about their students, they will require them to learn the conceptual reasoning behind the structural methods. Standardized tests be damned - they aren't an accurate measure of how one may succeed in a field applying advanced mathematics.

#8315 Browncoat, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  16. BabyKoalas

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That although I'm slightly scared, I'm also extremely excited to put the past year behind me and get on living the absolute bejebus out of life. Let's do this! :wink:(!)

17. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Waited too long on the callback.... Why does it always make me so nervous?

18. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I became interested in this post just by reading this sentence!!

I agree. Making sure that students do well on standardized tests (such as the TAKS\STARR\ACT\SAT) needs to be the lowest priority. Those tests are so easy anyway that since teachers are taught to teach those tests and nothing else, students are unable to succeed in future classes when those tests are taken away because they lack the conceptual knowledge of mathematics. I'd like to think that we are slowly moving away from that (we actually may), there's actually a program at UTAustin called UTeach which prepares future mathematics and science teachers for teaching students the conceptual knowledge of a particular topic in a lesson format called a 5E lesson plan. The reason I'd like to think we're moving away from teaching standardized tests is because there are many branches of UTeach across the nation. One of them, Teach North Texas, at the University of North Texas. I didn't look where you are located but by any chance did you butt into the UTeach conference or a NCTM conference?

19. SilverGirl

trying to not feel shame about who i am :tears:

20. BudderMC

I just made a friendship bracelet. I feel soooooooo gay. :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.