1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is homosexuality a sin?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Daveed 7125, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Daveed 7125

Daveed 7125 Guest

Please understand, I do not want to offend any religions. Forgive me if I do in any way. I'm very sorry.

I have been raised since birth as a Christian. I am non-denominational, but my beliefs are similar to Presbitarian. I have been struggling with this for years now and I can't take it any more. I want answers. Is being gay a sin? I know Leviticus states that it is, but it also says that shaving and eating pork is also a sin. It says God is love and to love another as yourself, but those in my church are very strongly against homosexuals. I can't ask my parents without them flipping out on me. The same goes for members of my church. I want a calm conversation on how yes it is or no it isn't. I'm very sorry for bringing up such a sensitive subject. Your responses are greatly appreciated.

2. Shevanel

Nope. It's not.

3. anonymous1

I think you may be asking a biased group here... :wink: but no, being gay is not a sin.

4. MathMan

I grew up christian as well and have struggled with this in the past. I've know there are some denominations and people that don't read leviticus because of the absurd things in it. I believe it also says eating shellfish is a sin, but I may be mistaken. I do know somewhere it says that disobedient children should be punished by death, and if ANYONE took that literal we would be extinct.
    I know the Bible itself was not written by God. It was written by men who interpreted God's word. It can only be as perfect as the people who wrote it. I, myself, am atheist, but have looked into the bible a lot when I was younger.

5. Daveed 7125

Daveed 7125 Guest

Could I ask your reasoning? Why do you believe that? I'm sorry, but I would like to hear your sides to the discussion. Thank you for posting, by the way. :slight_smile:

6. MathMan

too add to what I wrote earlier, I believe in being good, honest, fair, and helping people. I do not believe love is a sin, which is all homosexuality is.

7. Mercy

Mercy Guest

im catholic and believe im going to heven God loves me and that i should love my self

8. Bradley

My overall take on the issue is that it is only mentioned 6 or 7 times in the entire Bible. The only clear verses are in the old testament (which Jesus says we are no longer bound by), and the ones in the new testament are vague at best, and can be interpreted to mean completely different things...Plus Jesus never mentions it once. I know he preached a lot about love, and why would love be suddenly a sin if it is between the wrong people?

I firmly believe it is not a sin. Some arguments can be found in the following videos, I know they helped me overcome my fear that homosexuality was a sin. They have probably been posted before, but here they are again:

[YOUTUBE]9Slom_-OfXI[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]MoPBB-H0_EM[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]YyL-LHSO91w[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]ezQjNJUSraY[/YOUTUBE]

9. Ridiculous

Can I ask why it matters what this several hundred year old book says about you?

10. SkyDiver

I struggled with this for years and years... and I ended up hating God over it.

Over the past few months, however, I strongly feel like God's revealing to me that it's not sinful... Never have I been so confident and sure about anything in my life.

I ask him how it could be wrong and I feel like I'm getting the same answer every time... "It's not." There are massive divisions put in place between the LGBT community and the Christian community and I think it's awful. I want to try and work on changing that.

Oh, and this helped me. Alot.

http://www.soulforce.org/resources/what-the-bible-says-and-doesnt-say-about-homosexuality/

#10 SkyDiver, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  11. Daveed 7125

Daveed 7125 Guest

Bradley: thank you so much. I'm in tears, but in a good way. Thank you.

Ridiculous: I believe very strongly on that 100 year old book. Despite this struggle, I am a Christian. I believe in the existence of God and his son, Jesus. I believe in the existence of Heaven and Hell, and I truly am afraid of which one I'm going to in the afterlife. I'm sorry if I offended. I didn't mean to, I'm explaining my views and my reasoning for asking.

12. SkyDiver

The way I see it.... if you're worried about going to Hell, chances are you're not. :icon_wink

13. BudderMC

Disclaimer: Any "religious" claims I make are quite possibly misinformed as I really haven't looked into religion since I was say... 13 or so.

Personally, I don't think it is. I was born and raised Catholic, though pretty much grew out of it right after my confirmation (note: before I started questioning, so I didn't abandon my faith because of sexuality-related reasons). I stopped following Catholicism because I personally just didn't believe in it anymore. I'm no nay-sayer, there were just too many things about organized religion I didn't like, but that's a story for another thread.

But yeah, I don't think it's a sin. Aren't we, at baptism, cleansed of all sin? And isn't sin technically something that you "do" intentionally? I mean, to sin is a verb. To be dubbed as "sinful" because of something you're born with and quite literally have no control over (in my belief, others may disagree) is not only unfair but pretty stupid IMO. And I don't think any God of mine would intentionally create me in such a way that I was going against "his teachings".

Now, homosexual acts on the other hand... I think that's largely up for debate. I will say I think it depends a lot more on how rigorously you follow the Bible (or other texts), in terms of word-for-word teachings. Personally, when I did read the Bible, I always took it in context; certain things are obviously bad (murder, lying, adultery, etc.) and certain things were bad relative to the time. I choose to believe homosexual acts/homosexuality falls under that category.

Ultimately, personal religion is a set of beliefs that helps you get through the day. Organized religion is a good starting place, and it's up to you whether or not you let their principles dictate word for word what your beliefs are.

14. castle walls

You should totally check out the Matthew Vines video that was linked to earlier. He goes over all the verses that are used against homosexuality in detail. There are many Christian churches that are accepting. Have you ever thought of attending a church that doesn't believe homosexuality is a sin or finding a church and asking them to explain their position of why it is not a sin?

For a variety of reasons, many Christians believe that we are no longer under the old law. You may want to look into dispensationalism, supersessionism, and things of that nature. I think that you should research these matters and see what you believe on the subject

15. Ridiculous

No, you didn't offend me. It's just that there are so many people out there that get so conflicted over this and other things their religion arbitrarily criminalises. I can't help but wonder why, especially in this modern time when we (or atleast some countries) are no longer ruled under vicious governments, people still shackle themselves to religion. What's even more baffling to me is how people decide on one religion being right, which obviously means all of the thousands of others are automatically wrong.

As you can tell I don't really care what any religion says about me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

16. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You know, I started writing why homosexuality isn't a sin and I end up writing why I don't agree with religion or it's followers, and that wasn't your question. I'm gonna try to approach your question from another side.
    Let me ask you something: if god indeed exists, and he is the creator of the earth and all of it's creatures, do you think he would want people to be against other people? Do you think he would encourage hatred and bigotry or compassion and understanding? Do you think he would have created homosexuality if he knew it was sin?
    Homosexuality is found in hundreds of animals but homophobia is only found in one. Whatever happened to ''love thy neighbour''.

17. laras

Forgive me for saying this, I in no way want you to think I am trying to "convert you" or try to change your views on religion. I have thought many times of going back to church. Not because I believe in God, but because I want to believe in something. However I cannot find it within myself to believe in something so unaccepting of other people. Not only the rules (I can see to try and promote happiness and making people have faith in more than just their selves or other people/things) but their showing many things that have the potential of being beautiful.

There are many religions that I could follow like but to accept one would feel like too me I am saying another is wrong. So I have decided to be on the outside and accept people's wishes and beliefs. But I will never say being gay is a sin. (Not only because I resemble it) but because I can see its potential, beauty and devotion.) Keep your chin up and follow what fills right.

18. PerfectCalamity

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    In my honest opinion, I don't believe it is.

Like what has been previously said, it's right as a human to love, and love is not a sin. All homosexuality is is loving another person of the same gender - nothing wrong with that. Love is love, right?
    Although I do understand your reasoning. I grew (still growing) up in a strictly Catholic family which believes that it is a sin, I thought it was until my older brother came out when I was about 11. That event made my whole perspective change because it didn't change him as a person.
    I'm going to stop before I start rambling, overall I say no it isn't though.

19. laras

Shunning* not showing.

20. julia

I don't understand where Christian's, or anyone got the idea that being gay is a 'sin' when 'God' loves everyone. Doesn't make any sense to me. People use the Bible and God to make themselves not look so prejudice, judgmental, and/or ignorant.