1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti-Religious on this board

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by dano22, Apr 13, 2012.

1. dano22

dano22 Guest

Ok I agree with all of this and I am sorry if you felt I was attacking your beliefs as I see you quoted me. It felt like you were addressing me and some others so I thought I should say something.

2. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i'm sure that wasn't directed at you, Dano =)

3. dano22

dano22 Guest

Yeah I did not think it was because that would not make any sense.

4. RedState

Well...we in the South have our own religion...and its a religion that the ENTIRE COUNTRY has to bow down to..because we are just that fucking good. It's called the Southeastern Conference. The religion of the SEC owns you...deal *sunglasses*

5. Alexandria

I would point out that religion and politics, especially in the US, very often winds up being the same damned thing. Its thankfully mostly separated up here in Canada (except for the party currently in power...) but vastly less so down there.

Which brings up an interesting side point that relates all along this topic. People that vote and support a party that IS religious and works consistently against LGBT rights, never mind the rest of their whacked out platform. Despite the proven facts, repeatedly proven in fact, of a party that bases its utterly insane intentions ON a religion that itself is batshit; and people wonder why they might get a cold reception on a board whose basis is to provide a safe place for those harmed BY these same religious whackos?

Yeaaaaa. No sympathy for that whatsoever. The information is there, it has been validated thirty plus ways from sunday.

6. dano22

dano22 Guest

I think your over looking things I may be gay and a christian but I am far from being a conservative. Yes politics and religion relate closely to each other however I am not gonna explain it again there are liberal christians out there who do support the gay community. This board is for everyone no matter if they are black, white, gay, transgender, bi, christian, atheist, muslim, buddhist, republican or democrat and no one should feel uninvited to this board.

7. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i tend to agree, there does seem to be an inherent philosophy clash, but politics is multi-dimensional and people hold their political views for more than just the social side of things.

8. dano22

dano22 Guest

I totally agree with that part of it that religion is what guides people to do things politically especially when it comes to conservative fundamentalist. Some of the things they believe are dangerous and and harmful to society as a whole. For example check out the newest scandal relating to Ted Nugent.

9. lilyoflife

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    its gotten to a point where i realised no one gives a damn about what religion you are unless they ask you directly.
    does it really matter unless youre doing outrageous things like killing people and hurting others and stuff.
    i cant be bothered explaining why i think this way because its a bloody long story and its what i learned from my experiences mixed with personal sense of right and wrong, i cant sum it all up in a paragraph. no one should. people just gotta stop being so passive and get out there and go through what makes us a better person, experience.
    people are just bloody waiting to be fed information when really they can get off their ass and collect it themself to evaluate for themself.
    you dont have to prove you are right all the time. when no one proved the existence of water, it still existed. i dont have to prove why whatever religion is good or bad, i just have an opinion and people who are capable of critical thinking will realise for themself.

#69 lilyoflife, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  10. sguyc

Yo, gay, atheist and will probably vote republican this election. Will definitely vote republican in my local elections. Defeating stereotypes one at a time. The country and both political parties will look very different 20 years from now. 99% of the country is completely uninformed about politics and economics and vote based on emotion (not saying im not part of this group).

11. toremi

toremi Guest

I am thankful for posts like this above! Too often I find people in general are TOO quick to write off all individuals of a group as being one thing. Thinking all religious people are quacks who hate homosexuals is no different than the opposition thinking all homosexuals are flamboyant... or immoral... or whatever have you. The difference is if someone were to post her implying that everyone would be up in arms.

Let's just remember the 100% rule. No 100% of any group can be labeled as one thing.

12. dano22

dano22 Guest

I could not agree more. Nice way to sum it up.

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    While I think that secularists (myself included) need to work on defensive anti-religious sentiment, and I think in queer communities we should check that sentiment at the door, I still think it's worth pointing out to our straight ally friends, "so ya, this is what your religion is doing to us. Please go work with your people."

I just did as much with my friends on Facebook a couple days ago on the news that the Vatican wants to discipline the American nuns.

14. lilyoflife

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    LOL a friend of mine told me that during a LGTB parade in our city, there were people with signs that said "we are christian and we apologise for what the church has done to you".

makes me feel so touched that some people still havent given up on humanity

15. Dalmatian

I can not talk about religion in general, but only about the three that are very strong in my surroundings: Catholic Christianity, Orthodox Christianity and Islam. Being from Croatia, and the south of it really, I spent my teens some 50km from where a war between these three was raging. It was a nationalistic war, but fueled from all three sides by religion. I am only saying so in order to state that I get these three religions not only in theory, but in praxis too.

Islam states, both in theory and in practice, that gay people should be murdered.
    Orthodox Christianity states in theory that gay people will burn through eternity and in practice that they should be murdered.
    Catholic Christianity states in theory that gay people should be helped to overcome their unnatural state and denounce their sinful lives so that they have a chance for salvation. In practice they state that gay people should be isolated.

In views of all three of these major religions, gay people should never be allowed to be in a relationship, to have a kid (Croatia has an artificial insemination law barring homosexual women from getting the treatment - in cases of infertility, only married couples can get the treatment and marriage is defined as heterosexual), to adopt a kid, to be able to speak of their feelings in public, to be represented on public television and so on.

Religion is the only reason why Croatia doesn't give equal rights to homosexuals. Why last year there was stone throwing at the Pride.

Now.. the only reason for a religion to exist is to preach the existence of god(s). My opinion is that there is no God. From my own view and completely selfish need to be happier and accepted in society, this is the story more or less:
    There isn't a god and because of what someone who wasn't a god's son allegedly originally said and did, but which can easily be shown to have been copied from older myths, and of which parts were written by story tellers of 2000 years ago, who changed the story as they wanted, which then came to other story tellers who changed it some more, which then came to some powerful people who adjusted the plot by "the need of explanation", who wrote some rules of their own, incrementaly putting the old story more and more aside, I can't now take the hand of a person I love in mine in public places.

If it is harsh, it's only because truth often tends to be. I have nothing against anyone believing in God. That's perfectly fine. I don't agree with it, but then, I don't agree with most people over most issues.

But here, on EC, to not be able to say "Church is bad" or even "religion is bad" seems as defying the very purpose of the board. Because of religion many LGBT people are simply not well. And if this is not a place to be able to say so, what's the point.

Religion must not be taboo.

16. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I just want to clarify that religion is NOT a banned subject on EC. People are able to disagree with religion, disagree with the teachings and even a certain church. What we don't allow on EC is people attacking people directly with generalizations.

For example,

"Religion sucks. I don't like it and it serves no purpose" - Acceptable
    "All christians are pathetic and homophobic" - Not so much

Same deal for any other stereotype

"Gay clubs suck. Its boring to me and I hate going" - Acceptable
    "All gays that go to clubs are sluts and have no morals whatsoever" - Not so much

We are first and foremost a support forum and we want everyone to feel welcomed. The only thing that we don't allow on the forums is when people start directly attacking each other. Same goes for other topics.

17. Dalmatian

That's perfectly right. Generalization is just lack of argumentation.

Or, as they say: every generalization is stupid. :slight_smile:

And as long as it is so, this will remain the most supportive place on the net (as far as I've found).

:thumbsup:

18. dano22

dano22 Guest

A good way to explain the unnecessary stereotypes I have seen on this board.

19. Alexandria

Well that's the catch, isnt it? Religious people have no VALID grounds to stereotype LGBT folk.

Can we honestly say that the reverse holds true; given that all of the previously mentioned primary faiths - and the scriptures upon which the faiths are based - makes its contempt for the LGBT very clear?

20. dano22

dano22 Guest

I will say that is very true that stereotypes overall are overrated and should not be used in any kind of arguments. I think we can all agree Stereotyping religious people is just as worse at stereotyping LGBT people. Especially when there are religious LGBT people.