1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti-Religious on this board

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by dano22, Apr 13, 2012.

1. No One

I think we all understand that this is what you are saying, but our point is that often times religious members expect a double standard. One where they can take their opinions much farther than the non-religious members can. We are all just saying that nearly every comment offends someone in some way, and that we shouldn't be expected to censor our opinions because it may be offensive to someone.

2. dano22

dano22 Guest

I agree that anybody can be offended by a comment in some way. I don't think any certain group of members should have to censor their opinions because any type of forum allows for members to state their opinions. I really do hold christians up to the same standards as I do with atheists. Although I do think both groups can take their opinions too far on the same level. I seem posts from both sides that have offended me in some way actually.

3. djt820

I personally think religion is the worst thing on Earth but ya know; opinions. To-may-toe, to-mah-toe. Either have a civil conversation about your differences or ignore them.

4. DryOasis

DryOasis Guest

At times religious people find it hard to accept that some of us just aren't religious. And we don't decide to be atheists on a whim either, we have solid, proper reasons to do so. But I still think we should always keep the disagreements clean.

5. BudderMC

I think this is better put that often times, all of us take our comments too far when on the topic or religion... as a combination of it being a passionate topic for most, and others consequently being very sensitive to it.

But otherwise, yes.

6. dano22

dano22 Guest

I think people have the right to believe in whatever they want to believe in it is just stereotypes of people's beliefs is never a good thing to post on here. I think some people on here think I am attacking their beliefs Im really not and I am sorry if that was implied in my posts.

7. Level75

That group also tends to be the one with the strongest voice though. There are churches that have an interpretation of the Bible that is more inclusive of LGBT people, but they tend not to be known. Or worse, their own religious population attempts to disown them in some way, dismissing them as too liberal or pandering.

That extremist image isn't a stereotype that the influential people of religion aren't trying to debunk. It's one they actively embrace. True that, for many of us, the majority of people we meet in life will be Christian. And most of them will be fairly reasonable people who realize that they cannot use their set of beliefs exclusively to enforce others to do things. Some of them might even be accepting of LGBT people and just kind of shrug it off when their priest tells them to do other whys. I feel that person should find another church that is more in line with their world view. Either that or they are religious in name only.

At least, that's the way I see it. If a Catholic friend can embrace the fact you're gay, then my first thought would be that he is not as Catholic as he says he is. Religion doesn't seem like an issue where you can pick the ideas you like and discard the rest. There's a world of a difference between one guy who says a prayer before every meal. And another who speaks of going to church like it's some annoying routine to do every Sunday, like doing the laundry.

If your religion looks at homosexuality as a moral wrong, then either you find a new denomination...or a new religion...or non-religion. Or you accept it as a moral wrong that just so happens you can't change, and be celibate the rest of your life. That may seem rigid and inflexible, but can anybody here confirm for me whether or not it is perfectly "kosher" (poor choice of word, I know) to say you're Catholic and then turn around and say the Pope is wrong about this particular issue?

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Not to completely derail the thread, but most Catholics don't agree with the pope 100%. I believe 70% of catholics are okay with using contraception and most are okay with pre martial sex. They still consider themselves catholics, but they just don't follow it word by word.

My family are all really religious. My mom prays the rosary every night and my grandma is ridcs when it comes to it. Yet they all accept me for who I am with open arms. They don't judge me or try to change me in either way. Does that make them any less catholic? I guess that depends on your opinion, but to them being catholic is much more than just following certain rules.

9. Level75

Perhaps. It's not my place to tell people who is what religion or not. I always figured though when it came to issues about where your immortal soul will end up, the most devout will take that with utmost seriousness.

If there were prospects that my immortal soul could end up in a fiery pit for all eternity, I absolutely would take it seriously. It just so happens I believe there is no immortal soul.

Like I said, I really don't believe most people who say they're religious are as dogmatic as the most annoying members of their population claim to be (like the ones you see on TV, or the Fred Phelps type). But then I wonder, if you don't really have to listen to the Pope, then what is the Pope?

#49 Level75, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  10. Mogget

The Pope is a leader, but he isn't, in modern Catholicism, infallible or the literal voice of God (except when he speaks ex cathedra, which Popes are really hesitant to do). Just as people can love America and support the American government while disliking the President and the President's policies, so Catholics can support the institution of the Church without supporting the present Pope. The way one Catholic put it to me is that Popes come and Popes go, but the Church connects them to 2000 years of Christian history and the communion of Christ, and a bad Pope now and then isn't too much to put up with compared to that.

11. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's right. Ex cathedra statements are so rare they don't even happen once per century (although the past three centuries have each had one major instance of this). Still, it wouldn't occur to the many Catholics to question the teachings of the pope, bishops or even priests in many cases.

12. BudderMC

Well, that's the point I'm trying to get across... that faith is what we believe in, and that religion is a subset of that. You can be spiritual (faithful seems like the wrong word here) and be not very religious.

In terms of religious perspective, these god/gods did not only exist when the holy texts were created. Consequently, belief in them was around before that too. Spirituality doesn't begin and end with religion... the two just often go hand in hand.

13. dano22

dano22 Guest

I was born and raised Catholic and I don't see being a member of the church when I get older. My family probably would like me to be catholic but they really would not care otherwise. I do not endorse any of the homophobic ideas of the Catholic Church. However a few months ago my priest was condemning gay marriage in front of the congregation and that was very awkward but I did kind of expect it. I am leaving that church when I get older and finding a more accepting church me and my partner could be a part of. The Catholic Church has been a part of my family for hundreds of years and I don't want to be a part of it anymore. Sadly religion has come to the point where any christian takes the parts of the bible and use them to their advantage to support their views and way of life. Its not always a good thing but it has been that way for awhile.

14. RedState

Well good lord...if you think that is bad try being a Republican in this outfit.

15. dano22

dano22 Guest

ok I don't get it lol

16. RedState

Haha..what I ment was if you think it gets nasty with religion here...try being a Republican on here.

Makes the religious insults seem like simple playground antics :slight_smile:

17. dano22

dano22 Guest

Yeah I had a feeling that is what you meant.

18. Deaf Not Blind

ok, haters hate on me, i am christian, go to a church rather often not just easter, and i mostly vote republican because i do not believe in abortion. :wink:
    or, alternately, you can not hate me and just accept that i believe what i do for my own valid reasons and realize that being a bigot and hater can also apply towards any group and practicing it while complaining about others doing it to you is hypocritical.
    ps. i love everyone equally, even if i debate or disagree with sometimes, because that is what my beliefs are all based on love and equality.

19. Level75

I can totally understand why anyone would want to be a Republican. After all, nobody should be basing their votes on one issue alone. I almost did in the last presidential election and I'm still wondering if voting for Obama was the right call. You probably must understand however that there is a strong urge to vote in one particular direction when the issue involved is a deeply personal one.

And one, for that matter, Republicans this time around don't even care to apologize for. Booing a soldier and not one GOP candidate admonishing his party for instance.

I don't side with Democrats on all issues. Obamacare for instance. At the same time, my work is related to healthcare so I can see why it's such a complicated issue. But you know, I would feel much more comfortable voting Republican if I didn't have to feel as though I were shooting myself in the foot in the process.

20. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Let's keep this thread on topic, everyone. Political discussion is good and all, especially when it can be done with the decorum we've seen in this thread so far, but if you're going to discuss it, please do so in a thread about politics, not a thread about anti-religious sentiment on this board. :slight_smile: