1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A reading on sexuality in my religion book

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by colorful, Apr 12, 2012.

1. colorful

I go to a catholic school. I have a book that is basically a compilation of articles. This particular article is by Ronald Rolheiser.

"Sexuality is not simply about finding a lover or even finding a friend. It is about overcoming seperateness by giving life and blessing it. Thus, in its maturity, sexuality is about giving oneself over to community, friendship, family, service, creativity, humor, delight, and martyrdom so that, with God, we can help bring life into the world."

So basically as long as we are doing all of those things what could make us any different?

What do you guys think of this idea?

2. Alexandria

......utter nonsense, I am afraid, is the first thing that comes to mind.

3. Ridiculous

Yup. Looks like the writer was desperately trying to look profound.

4. Of Mice and Men

Fancy way of saying being straight is the only right way to be because it involves creating children. Charming.

5. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

Sexuality is not about finding a lover, or a friend. Okay, well clearly I've been 100% wrong about that. What's next?

Giving oneself over to the community? I'm pretty sure there are members of the community who have 0 interest in my sex, sexuality, or what I do in the bedroom. I can assure you there are many I feel the same way about.

Service? Is that in regard to prostitution? Or is it the service one does to the world when one creates a life? Because there are a lot of unwanted children in the world who are discarded daily by their parents for various reasons. Are we supposed to be making more? Pretty sure our 7 billion person population says otherwise.

Martyrdom? What? Come again!?!? I'm so confused...

#5 ArcherySet, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2012
  6. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i actually quite like it, and am surprised by the responses so far!

---------- Post added 13th Apr 2012 at 05:23 PM ----------

i like that it isn't so trite as to mention love, but skips that point and expands. You can count me as a fan of it

7. Bree

The bit that catches me is the "overcoming seperateness by giving life and blessing it" which suggests procreation.

8. Naren

Exactly ^

9. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i don't think 'giving life' necessarily means procreating

10. colorful

It doesn't. I can post the rest of it... it talks about artists looking at a work they have made and being satisfied with it.

I liked it.... I took it as saying your sexuality, in reference to who you "go to bed with" is such a small part of sexuality that it should not define who we are. That sexuality is so much more than sex. That it includes love and creation (not just of human life) and being an active person ib society.... Don't we all do that? Therefore there is no reason for us to be treated differently for a small part of our sexuality.

11. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's kind of neat. I'm not sure if I agree with it or not, but nice find.

12. That seems very typical of a Catholic textbook (I should know, I go to Catholic school too). I can't understand why people won't just live and let live. Our sexuality isn't affecting theirs, they shouldn't give a crap. By the way, I don't know if I've told you this before, but your signature is amazing :slight_smile:

13. Eww

Eww Guest

I think the Catholics, like all other religions, want to 'have their cake and eat it too'. But that's just me....

14. colorful

Christian definition of sexuality

Sexuality is a beautiful, good, extremely powerful, sacred energy, given us by God and experienced in every cell of our being as an irrepressible urge to overcome our incompleteness, to move towards unity and consummation with that which is beyond us. It is also the pulse to celebrate, to give and to receive delight, to find our way back to the Garden of Eden where we can be naked, shameless, and without worry and work as we make love in the moonlight.

Utimately, though, all these hungers, in their full maturity, culminate in one thing: they want to make us co-creators with God…… mothers and fathers, artisans and creators, big brothers and big sisters, nurses and healers, teachers and consolers, farmers and producers, administrators and community builders – co-responsible with God for the planet, standing with God and smiling at and blessing the world. What does sexuality in its full bloom look like?

• When you see a young mother, so beaming with delight at her own child that, for that moment, all selfishness within her has given way to the sheer joy of seeing her child happy, you are seeing sexuality in its mature bloom.
    • When you see a grandfather so proud of his grandson, who has just received his diploma, that, for that moment, his spirit is only compassion, altruism, and joy, you are seeing sexuality in its mature bloom.
    • When you see an artist, after long frustration, look with such satisfaction on a work she has just completed that everything else for the moment is blotted out, you are seeing sexuality in its mature bloom.
    • When you see a young man, cold and wet, but happy to have been of service, standing on a dock where he has just carried the unconscious body of a child he has just saved from drowning, you are seeing sexuality in its mature bloom.
    • When you see someone throw back his or her head in genuine laughter, caught off-guard by the surprise of joy itself, you are seeing sexuality in its mature bloom.
    • When you are seeing an elderly nun who, never having slept with a man, been married, or given birth to a child, has through years of selfless service become a person whose very compassion gives her a mischievous smile, you are seeing sexuality in its mature bloom.
    • When you see a community gathered around a grave, making peace with tragedy and consoling each other so that life can go on, you are seeing sexuality in its mature bloom.
    • When you see an elderly husband and wife who after nearly half a century of marriage have made peace with each other’s humanity that now they can quietly share a bowl of soup, content just to know that the other is there, you are seeing sexuality in its mature bloom.
    • When you see a table, surrounded by a family, laughing, arguing, and sharing life with each other, you are seeing sexuality in its mature bloom.
    • When you see a Mother Teresa dress the wounds of a street-person in Calcutta or an Oscar Romero give his life in defense of the poor, you are seeing sexuality in its mature bloom.
    • When you see any person – man, woman, or child – who in a moment of service, affection, love, friendship, creativity, joy, or compassion, is, for that moment, so caught up in what is beyond him or her that for that instant his or her separateness from others is overcome, you are seeing sexuality in its mature bloom.
    • When you see God, having just created the earth or just seen Jesus baptized in the Jordan River, look down on what has just happened and say, ‘It is good. In this I take delight,’ you are seeing sexuality in its mature bloom.

Sexuality is not simply about finding a lover or even finding a friend. It is about overcoming separateness by giving life and blessing it. Thus, in its maturity, sexuality is about giving oneself over to community, friendship, family, service, creativity, humor, delight, and martyrdom so that, with God, we can help bring life to the world.