The Hunger Games (2012)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Fusileer, Mar 19, 2012.

1. BudderMC

That's what I thought too. Like 100% what I thought. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

You can type
    whatever you want hidden[./SPOILER] to put things in the spoiler box. Just remove the "." :slight_smile:

2. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Agh, this! Nothing irritates me more than when someone says a character wasn't gay enough or was too straight or blah, blah, blah. Ridiculous people -_-

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For those who wanted to see them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I honestly wonder what many of the designers were smoking when they made the designs...1st is just mediocre. 2nd is an interesting gladiator type look. 3rd is truly...different and Gagaishness. 4th is just...odd. 5th is just a total wtf moment. I actually don't mind the 6th's, the moon theme is rather cool. The 7th...well I mean it's kinda cool origami. 8th I honestly just feel sorry for. 9th is just...silver so it's whatever. 10th is yeehaw moment lol. 11 is the most plain thing in the entire world, I mean putting a Caesar-ish crown on the head of someone wearing overalls is suppose to be style? :S And well, we all know District 12's :grin:

Also did anyone else find District 3's female tribute constantly looks stoned?

#63 Revan, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  4. Abayomi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Those costumes are all pretty crazy, I think Clove, Marvel and Cato look the best :slight_smile: Glimmer looks weird to me. And I agree that the female tribute of district three looks like a complete stoner.

Hey, thanks for the help with that!

xD I hope it worked.

Edit: Yep, it did. Thanks again BudderMC :slight_smile:

5. ANightDude

Except it wasn't.

I mean, not to be rude, but there is a HUGE difference in quality from any of the Twilight films compared to The Hunger Games.

6. Countervail

Team Gale! lol

7. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Thanks! :slight_smile:

And they're supposed to look rediculous. In the book Katniss describes the parade as being almost embarrassing to the tributes because of the outrageous costumes that they are forced by the stylists to wear, as the outfit for each pair of tributes often reflects the product of their district. She's elated to learn the Cinna and Portia didn't opt for the crazy, over-the-top, designs the people of the Capitol often expect to see.

On an unrelated note: that first female tribute (Glimmer, I think?) looks ALOT like Helena Bonham Carter... And Rue's outfit makes her remind me strongly of a little girl from Barney. xD

8. elitechris

i saw the movie without reading the books, but i knew the basic story and i LOVED it!
    i keep rewatching the scene where katniss hugs peeta after hearing the cannon and getting worried about him. <3
    i should really get to reading the books though...

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still wish Foxface hadn't died. I know she was barely known in the movie (and the book?) but I did think she was a cool character, very intelligent and all.

10. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed! Her stealthiness was kinda awesome. :slight_smile: Also, I wish we knew her real name. Though in a way I'm glad we don't because "Foxface" just seems to work somehow.

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Quite right :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Plus though I know it's not in the book, the fact she didn't just kill Katniss after the bloodbath showed she wasn't that bad. She just tried to survive.

12. Hot Pink

Foxface was cool. I respected her for deciding not to kill anyone at all. It shows that it is possible to survive in the Hunger Games without resorting to violence. She made it a long time before she made the mistake with the berries.

13. Abayomi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree, foxface was an excellent tribute. However I think most likely she would have to resort to violence eventually. And I get that feeling that when backed into a corner she'd go berzerk and tear everybody apart xD I see it in her eyes. She's crazy.

I don't know why but the career tributes and everything about them intrigues me so much. The idea of training all your life to compete in a killing tournament of your own volition is so... I don't know, the idea is really strange to me. It's not even like being in the army where you're not doing it because you want to kill people but because you want to protect your countrymen. For this, it's because they're bloodthirsty and want to bring honour to their district. And they're not even evil per se... They're like, anti villains I guess. I wish we could have a movie or book about Clove!

14. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think she very well could've won if she hadn't done the berry thing, maybe. I'm not sure how she would've done with the mutts but she was a VERY fast runner as seen at The Feast. I honestly think she would've maybe only had a difficulty with Cato, and even then like you said Abayomi, I think that might've been how she would've handled Cato :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Actually, the whole books is pretty much social commentary on how our society works. We do have people who make the best out of their situation by doing whatever they can to survive.

In the book, the tributes are never portrayed as evil. They just do what they can to survive, which is kind of evil. While they are trained to kill people, the main idea is that the district who wins gets a lot of wealth out of it. The people in the district get bigger rations of food for the whole year and the tributes get their own houses in a special neighborhood ,with all the privileges of the main city include, where there family can live in for the rest of their lives without having to worry about surviving ever again. Its something similar to what a lot of people have to do in order to get out of poverty. Its sad, but its true.

I find the whole entire series very fascinating. What people don't seem to realize a lot of the time is that the capitol in the book refers to all the first world countries in our society. Its impressive how the author was able to create this whole world based on our world and adapt it to a book meant for younger readers.

16. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apparently Caesar calls her Finch during her interview but I never noticed it.

I love Foxface, I think she was the best tribute in the 74th games. If it was 'real' and not a book with Katnis and Peeta as protagonists, I think she could have won.
    Cato, Peeta and Katnis would have fought it out until only one of them was left, but seriously injured, and the Foxface would just have to outrun them onto the top of the cornucopia.

BTW! Spoiler/theory

There's a theory that she killed herself rather than restoring to violence when she knew that every other tribute left in the game had no problem with killing. In the training scene, she is shown looking at berries/herbs, indicating that she knows something about them and would have known the berries were deadly. I'm not fully convinced but I think it's interesting

17. Luna

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I actually think that Foxface was the scariest tribute! Yeah, she was intelligent and avoided fights but I can really imagine her ripping someone to pieces if she had too… I mean, you always knew that Cato was the violent guy but you never got to know that much about Foxface. Sometimes, knowing is better than wondering. She's scary because she's so intelligent and we don't know if she can be violent. Cato didn't scare me as much because I always knew who he was.

18. YIAW

I really liked the parallels between Foxface and Katniss in the movie.

I didn't know what to think of the books. The first one was great, Catching Fire and Mockingjay were a mess. I honestly still have to figure out if Collins is a genius or a crazy gore fan.

19. Abayomi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I see exactly where you're coming from, about how the capitol parallels the first world countries. It also parellels the priviledged, high society within the first world itself. However I don't think our society we live in is so extreme... It's true, there's a lot of bad things going on, which indirectly make our living standards higher. But the people in America, Canada, etc don't enjoy it of course. We enjoy the benefits of it... But we don't revel in the chaos that comes about because of it, not like the people in the capitol. At least, I don't :3

And when you think about it... Those career tributes are so well trained it's almost as if their only competition is each other, the non career tributes don't stand much of a chance most of the time. So I guess it's like a 1 in 4 chance (in the book though, 1 in 6 chance, because there are three career districts) of winning in their eyes. I don't know, I might choose to be a career tribute if I really did think I could win. And I don't really think I'm evil... Which is why I think of them as anti villains. Although in some ways they're also anti heros. Somewhere in between the two I guess.

#79 Abayomi, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  20. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Well, think about it. Many of us right now are eating, drinking, wearing and using many things that were completely made in other countries. Those countries are usually third world countries who work for little amounts of money and they are forced to work like slaves in order to survive. That's not to say that we are responsible for all their problems, but we do tend to take advantage of their situation.

I don't know if you have read the books or not, but in the books they explain that the people in the capital aren't really evil. They are just people that are ignorant to the suffering that other people have to go through and they genuinely think that people in the districts even enjoy participating in the games. Many people in the capital are also poor and struggling to make a living. Also, keep in mind all the technology that the capitol has and that the other districts lack. Sounds similar?

Of course the main point is to entertain, but I find it fascinating. It even gets better with the ending of the third book, but so I'll stop rambling now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: