1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kony 2012

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cascade, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Cascade

KONY 2012

This needs to be seen by as many people as possible. We can't let let him fall out of obscurity or else we've lost. Take half an hour out of your life for one of the most important videos this year.

Okay I don't know how to get youtube videos working but watch it anyway!

#1 Cascade, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  2. sanguine

omg this thing has been all over my news feed since last night, dont get me wrong i do have a heart but this thing has been happening for years and no one has helped, and it pisses me off the people now are just starting to get the message.

and this is just one of abillion problems people dont even care about, we live in a capitalist society, we need some people to do bad for the greedy to stay wealthy

3. sanguine

[​IMG]

this made my day though

4. Bolin

This has been in my dash on Tumblr all day. I'll see what it's about tomorrow since I'm too tired to function now.

5. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seconded! The world needs to know!

6. Myturn

Take the time to watch this video!!

7. Porphyrogenitus

While the video has been amazing at raising awareness about Joseph Kony and the situation in and around Uganda, it's extremely important to remember that, like any real world problem, the solution isn't exactly a simple matter. This article gives some more perspective:

Taking ‘Kony 2012′ Down A Notch | Justice in Conflict

8. Cascade

I know that there are complications, I honestly mainly like this video because it shows what everyone can accomplish when we have a common goal. Ordinary people like you and me CAN make a difference in the world. Honestly, if we could apply this manpower to other kinds of awareness things would happen.

9. Of Mice and Men

So Joseph Kony has been doing this for twenty years, and now in the course of a few days EVERYBODY'S on the bandwagon? I'm irritated and pretty impressed.

10. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    People, you need to read this.

The Daily What

That post shows the real face of the organization. Please read it!

I've never posted a link before, so I hope I'm not breaking any rules here at EC.

11. needshelp

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

you have to be careful with these charity organizations because you never know if they're geniune with their motives or who's behind them supporting/funding them.

12. adam88

And people wonder why I'm so fucking cynical.

13. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

We watched this today in my Environment class...more people really need to see this...

14. Shevanel

15. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [YOUTUBE]F5UfdY4jOJk[/YOUTUBE]

16. jargon

The Worst Killer of Invisible Children is Not Joseph Kony | The GiveWell Blog

Another good view on this. I keep up on international aid programs pretty well, and I'd say it'd be much better if everyone whose going wild about the Kony 2012 deal follows through with it, the world will be better off for it. Of all the criticisms, the only really crucial ones are that Invisible Children falls back on heart-wrenchingness and exaggeration to make their point. They aren't just stealing your money, but they also won't use it as efficiently as they could.

So yay for increased interest in international aid - but if we could manage to channel that into researched, effecient programs that are guarunteed to save lives, even better.

17. Ben

Ben

I'm going to remain an onlooker on this whole thing. It could do some good things, and I think the critiques have risen some very poignant questions. One thing I'm concerned about is the use of money in big charities, and that's a secondary question that is getting raised. I've not formed an opinion on how good I think the hype around this is, but I'm sure that the awareness side of it, which seems to be pretty central, is a beneficial thing for the public. What will actually happen because of this? Who knows…

Also, here's a map of Africa. Uganda is right there next to Kenya. Take a look, it might give you something to think about.

[​IMG]

18. Shevanel

The funny thing is I bet a ton of people (Not all, smart asses) don't even know where it is, let alone have heard about it prior to this. Silly people and their lack of geographical knowledge

19. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

:smilewave :lol:

P.s These kids being turned into killers has been happening for a loooooong time, I thought everyone knew about this already.

20. Shevanel

Yep, Pretty much throughout Africa too. Honestly, all around the world horrible shit is happening to children, so it's funny that all of a sudden people start to "care". (of course there are people who care, I'm just talking about the people who usually don't talk about this sort of thing)