1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avatar the Last Airbender - Legend of Korra

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Lady Gaga, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Lady Gaga

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The last thread died over a year ago, and now since we have things to actually discuss I figured I'd remake it.

Anyone excited for the new show? Who else loves this series? :3

• The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra had its own panel at Comic Con. The show preview is at the top, all details are in the spoiler below. Spoiler alert!
      • The new time period takes place 70 years after Aang and his allies restored peace to the world.
      • A core theme in the show is airbender spirituality.
      • The art direction and animation has been vastly improved [the trailer we saw looked phenomenal] with sophisticated style to character design and changes in proportions [they even made a comment about how the heads of the characters in the original show were pretty large].
      • They really wanted Korra to be different from Aang in personality such that “Aang never would have said this” and “never would have done this”.
      • Korra is from the water tribe, and they wanted her to look somewhat like a tomboy, a tough, rugged, snowboarder look [and she does, they even had their own live cosplayer for Korra at the beginning of the panel].
      • Korra already knows water, fire, and earth bending, and will be training to learn airbending from Tenzin, Aang and Katara’s son [who actually looks pretty old].
        Korra is 17, and most of the new characters are older than the characters from the original show’s main cast.
      • Republic City [the main setting of the show] is a modern metropolis sort of city. There are benders of all elements living with non benders in a sort of ”melting pot of different cultures”. Aang and Zuko founded the city after the war.
      • Part of Team Avatar are two brothers from a multicultural family where one brother is a fire bender, and the other is an earth bender. Mako is the older, brooding (but not as much as Zuko) firebending brother while Bolin is the younger earthbending and goofier brother [I would imagine he's probably going to be something like the new Sokka].
      • The show has a sort of 1920s jazz age, Shanghai concept. Kind of as if China had invented the jazz age.
      • There is a sleuth of new creatures, such as a bipedal polar bear dog [Korra's has one of these as a companion, her name is Naga]. Naga is “awesome and kicks a lot of butt”.
      • Another creature is a tiny red panda headed, black footed ferret hybrid. Bolin has one of these fire-ferrets named Paboo.
      • There is a different species of flying bison similar to Appa. The horns, tail, and patterns differ from Appa. Apparently Aang “found a herd of them on an island after the war”.
      • A new species of flying lemurs also appear in the new series however you “don’t see too much of them in the first 12 [episodes".
      • They may have accidentally revealed that there is going to be another 14 episodes after the originally announced 12, totaling 26!!
      • As Korra is the new Avatar, she is Aang's reincarnation; therefore she is not related to Aang.
      • Aang and Katara had three kids, one being Tenzin.
      • Tenzin is a serious guy but can be funny with his kids. He tries to be a zen master but sometimes loses his patience [personally, I think he might have a personality similar to The great swordsmaster Piando, who trained Sokka, but don't quote me on that, its just my own speculation].
      • Pema, a non-bender and Tenzin’s wife, is currently pregnant with her fourth child. Her two girls and one boy are all airbenders and can be a handful.
      • Genora is Tenzin and Pema’s oldest bookworm daughter. Ikki is another daughter who “talks a mile a minute” and is “super funny and crazy”.
      • The Equalists are a group anti-benders. Their revolutionary leader, Oman, is a creepy masked guy who is dark and super sinister with a slight steampunk influence.
      • His henchmen are expert “chi-blockers” from an ancient order cloaked in secret. They are combating the forces of Republic City [they look really badass with a steampunk looking gas-mask-type headgear].
      • They introduced the police force of Republic City to be “metalbender cops”. They are an ELITE SWAT-type group of earthbenders upholding peace in the city. Toph, being the first ever metalbender, traveled the world after the war teaching earth benders how to harness this ultimate ability. [They also showed us this amazing concept art of Korra fighting three metalbender cops. The art was spectacular].
      • Toph’s daughter [!!!!!] Bei Fong is the chief of police of Republic City [they refused to name the father at the panel...].
      • There is a crazy sport in the city known as “pro bending” [seems like a UFC meets Avatar kind of sport]. There are teams of three benders in an elemental arena battling wherein the entire city comes to watch. [They made a note during the panel that they spent hours writing rules for the sport].
      • The fighting style of the show is going to be similar to the original, but they added “tricking” which they described to be similar to parkour. [In the video they showed, they had martial artists and mixed martial artists performing the various fighting styles, they look pretty awesome].[/LEFT]

Here is the Korra trailer:
    [youtube]jmsT63BgFPw[/youtube]

2. Emberstone

I was fawning over all the characters in the avatar wiki. I think they need to drop the 'last airbender' part since technically, korra does have a airbender teacher.

3. TheLilyTribe

I'm so excited for this show to come out! I loved the first series and if this one is at least a third as awesome (though it does look REALLY good) then it will be so worth the wait!

4. Emberstone

I am hoping the success of korra will reignite the studios in rebooting the live action films from scratch with a competant director. M. Night Shamalyan is not experinced in this kind of structured storytelling. the film was terrible on every count. I came home and immediatly started rewatching the cartoons to ease the suffering I felt at watching the film.

it has such a wonderful cast of characters who bring such a great humor to a otherwise serious storyline. The cartoon was so perfectly balanced that it was in a league of its own with few modern efforts being comparable (the harry potter books being an example of one)

5. Lady Gaga

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And..
    ..the fact that Tenzin, her teacher, also has three airbending kids and another kid coming. Katara and Aang also had two other kids besides Tenzin.
    I agree completely. <3

6. Mogget

I don't like the new animation style. I loved the simplicity of ATLA. This new thing looks all computerized and elaborate.

7. Lady Gaga

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't tell the difference to be honest, besides a little more detail. D:

8. Hitchhiker

I can't tell the difference either. I can't wait, though! :grin:

9. ShenanigansChek

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I did notice the difference ... I think it's beautiful, though - there was more attention paid to the animation. I hope that the story and character development is just as good or even better than that of Avatar: the Last Airbender (which is the only American-made cartoon that landed in my top ten).

Easily my favorite character from the original series:
    [​IMG]

But I don't understand why they have "the Last Airbender" in the title ... since this series focuses on the next Avatar, Korra, is a Waterbender. I'd also hope that there were a few more Airbenders around. At least 2 or 3 generations worth.

10. KittyBoy

They have a reputation now. And they want to keep it.

11. Jonathan

It looks pretty awesome, I definitely want to see it. :slight_smile:

12. Lady Gaga

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The name is just so fans can easily identify what the show is.

They can't use "Avatar" because James Cameron was a douche and took it then trademarked it...or something.

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cannot WAIT!

14. Emberstone

i highly doubt it would be legal for jame cameron to trademark the name Avatar. it is not his creation, as the word has existed for thousands of years.

JK rowling can trademark "quidditch", and Lucas can trademark "Jedi"... No one can trademark "Avatar".

he can however trademark his usage of the term avatar in relation of the navi.

15. Lady Gaga

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not true. He could have trademarked the term for all entertainment purposes in the terms of titles.

Either way, I didn't say that was exactly why. I said it might have been, all I know is that there is something that James Cameron did with the word "Avatar" that made it so they can't use it.

It could have been him threatening a lawsuit, despite having no real grounds. They might not have wanted to deal with that.

16. PersonalTaste27

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Damn i didnt even know they were making a new one but now i know thanx lol, im excited now cant wait :slight_smile:

17. Kupo!

Kupo! Guest

I have to agree. The new animation style does seem a bit off, but hey... its Avatar! It's gunna be amazing :grin:

18. DarkClarity

Looks awesome can't wait. I just hope they don't make another extremely crappy live movie.

19. Emberstone

the trademark was for "james Cameron's Avatar". There is a clothing company that has been using the name avatar for a few decades, and while they cannot claim ownership of the name because they did not create it, it has a buisness copyright, so you cannot merchandise under it because a company already mechendises under the name. however, you cannot sue another person for useing the word avatar, as no one can claim creator rights for the word.

James Cameron can call his film avatar because the film is not a merchandise, but he has to merchandise under the trademark of James Cameron's Avatar.

the only reason M night Shamlamyanwammadingdongfofama (sorry, dont remeber how to spell his last name, and after what he did to the last airbender, he doesnt deserve it anyways) dropped the word avatar from the title of his film (defecation) was because he did not want confusion between the cameron movie and his own (destruction of a quality story).

besides, cameron couldnt sue because the nickolodean trademark for "avatar: the last airbender" is from 2005, and his was only accepted in 2011.

basically, what you need to know about trademarks is that you can copyright the usage of a existing word in terms of merchandising, such as oracle, delphi, and jagaur, but you cannot stop people from useing those words artisticly.

on the other hand, you can trademark things you created, such as hogwarts, jedi, storm troopers, etc.

james cameron owns the nav'i, and what 'avatars' are in his created universe, but he can only trademark 'nav'i'.

20. Emberstone