1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

straightening of the sigmoid colon?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by littlegay, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. littlegay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello, I'm new to this forum and I stumbled across it when I was googling information on anal sex. Obviously, I've never tried it before. I want to learn more about it before I try it.

I have read some of the posts written by Karabulut and they have helped a lot. However, there isn't a lot of information out there that discusses the risks of anal sex, other than the fact that if you're not careful, you can tear a spincter or perforate the sigmoid colon.

The biggest question I have is what happens when larger cocks or toys (8-10") penetrate all the way into the sigmoid colon. I read that if your partner's cock bumps into the sigmoid colon, there may be a dull pain. However, there is also the ability for a large enough dick or toy to straighten the sigmoid colon-- which is what I'm most concerned and confused about. Wouldn't straightening the sigmoid colon cause internal damage (block /interfere with other parts of the small intestine or organs for example)? I can't find any information about that, other than medical x-rays from unusual objects being inserted and trapped in the anus. Does the colon just return back to normal after anal sex? Or, does normal bowel movements entering the sigmoid (from gravity) cause it to return to its default location? Or, does it just stay there permanently unless you have surgery?

While true, I've seen many adult videos and know folks that claim to have taken very large cocks up their butt with no damage-- just a lot of pleasure. In fact, it's quite rare for me to hear or read on the internet of anyone damaging their rectum or colon, but I know it does happen if one is careless.

2. dylangoelz

dylangoelz Guest

well im not too sure but i know that you can get scratches and scrapes from toys or items that are not maintained well and well that horse did kill the guy right

3. Ridiculous

:eek:

According to Wikipedia, "on account of its freedom of movement it is liable to be displaced into the abdominal cavity." I can't say for sure but I assume it will just move back in to position (proably due to the peristaltic movement, which I expect nudges it back into its natural position) as it seems to be quite easy to move around.

There is certainly a dull pain when you hit it, for me anyway, but it goes away almost instantly afterwards. Never experienced it being straightened out though.

4. KaraBulut

It is true that anal sex can cause injury to the sphincter but it's also true that most tears occur from defecation. Local trauma and tearing may occur when the sphincter is not properly relaxed or a large object passes through it (in either direction).

In general though, it is width that is the problem not length.

Just to put things into perspective...

Unless you are very thin, about 1-2 inches of the penis doesn't penetrate into the anus because of the anatomy of the muscles of the buttocks. The rectum is about 4-5 inches long. So, the average penis barely reaches the end of the rectum.

A while back, I posted a picture of the internal anatomy of the pelvis. The colon is flexible, as is the penis. Both will bend during sex to accommodate the other.

When we do procedures where we're looking into the inside of the large intestine, we insert a semi-flexible fiberoptic scope that is about 36 inches (93 cm) long, so you can see that the colon can accommodate a flexible object that is very long. But this is also why I say "Do not use things for anal sex that are not intended for this purpose". A toy or anything you put in your ass should be flexible, so household objects and anything that is rigid and does not have a handle that you can hold on to should not be inserted into your anus.

5. dylangoelz

dylangoelz Guest

yeah dont use any (insert stiff household item here) cuz it could hurt you just get a rubber one

6. littlegay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Karabulut, I have read on some sites that the sigmoid colon has the "consistency of a wet paper towel." Is it really that thin?

The scope is flexible, but does it "straighten" or rearrange the colon at all? I don't think I'm understanding the extend of the "bending" the colon can do, or the erect penis. I mean, a cock has to be hard and less flexible compared to when its flaccid.

Rediculous, there is no citation for the information on the colon article-- I tried clicking the only link that was supposed to be a citation but it didn't work.

7. dylangoelz

dylangoelz Guest

hmmmmm horse

8. KaraBulut

Hardly. If it were, we would never survive infancy.

There's a lot of anti-gay websites that make all sorts of outlandish claims, particularly about anal sex. These websites love to quote misinformed people who claim the vagina is "sturdy" and the anus is "fragile". The "wet paper towel" sounds like it may have come from one of those websites.

I think the problem may be that you're unable to visualize how much distance there is between the anus and the sigmoid (which is actually known as the "pelvic colon" in anatomical textbooks). A penis is much smaller than you think.

Here's a picture from a textbook on how to do a rectal exam. It shows an index finger (which is about 4 inches long typically) in proportion to the structures in the pelvis. If you think in terms of an average 5-6 inch penis, you'll realize that it barely reaches the end of the rectum.

[​IMG]

9. littlegay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Karabulut,

I have not read the book, "The Joy of gay sex" by Charles Silverstein, but I have read passages of it on the internet. I've been tempted to buy a copy for myself. Would you recommend it? On page 95-- at least on Google books, he writes, "The tissue lining the sigmoid colon has the consistency of wet paper towels." It was a passage about fisting. If you google "sigmoid colon consistency wet paper towels," many sites quote it.

According to thebody.com, they quote:

With reference to what you're telling me, it sounds as if Silverstein's quote is easily misinterpreted, but he's trying to warn people about easing into things. I certainly am not trying to learn how to fist though!

I personally wouldn't think a colon's wall would be that thin either.

---------- Post added 29th Mar 2011 at 10:59 AM ----------

Hey folks, which lube do you guys use? A straight lady friend told me that Astroglide works well. I have the regular Wet brand at home, but I was wondering if I should really use something else.

10. KaraBulut

The section in red is very important in that sentence.

It's like your mouth. The inside of your mouth is very delicate but your cheek is pretty resiliant. So, you might be able to put your fist in your mouth with a little effort and it's not going to tear your cheek open. But, if you stick your finger on the inside of your mouth, or a toothpick or a sharp corn chip, you can make a nice tear on the inside of your cheek.

Similarly, if you're giving a guy a blowjob, his penis is not going to pop out through your cheek like that creature from Alien. The cheek has enough muscle and fibrous tissue to take on even the most aggressive penis. The same is true of your colon.

Generally your ass and colon can handle the normal size penis and toy. It's only when you get carried away, don't use enough lube or decide that "bigger is better" that you can get into trouble.

The Joy of Gay Sex was originally published back in the mid-70s. Not much has changed and the book as been updated. Personally, I always thought the book was a little advanced for the average gay person. It has a lot of emphasis on very exotic practices and how to turn yourself into a human pretzel. There's some more practical books out there. Do some browsing on Amazon and you'll find a book that covers the basics of what you're looking for.

#10 KaraBulut, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  11. shavedrick

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the information and your time Kara

12. seeksanctuary

That was an unfortunate incident that has nothing to do with anal sex between two human males, but you DO have to be careful and not get crazy with large toys/penises. And by crazy, I mean shoving huge things up there with absolutely no prep, no care, not paying attention to pain, etc. I doubt a large toy or (human!) penis would seriously HARM you, but you do have to pay attention to your body. But yeah, uhm. Unless the human you're having sex with has a penis that is feet long, can flare and also shoot semen at warp speed, no worries.

Best quote all week.

13. Thelivewire

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I love deep anal. Incredible pleasure, most times. As for straightening of the zigmoid colon, I generaly believe, that it has a pretty rough time in it's designed purpose. Gases, stomach upsets (put politely) varying hardness/consistency/size of fecal products and the muscular contractions/movement involved would place quite a bit of stress on the area.

Now if I may discuss the bowel movement aspect, I would expect, judging by the many and frequent bowel movements, I've experienced, it would appear the colon is, or rather has evolved to straighten during the actual bowel movement. This would more than likely be the result of muscular contractions, forcing the contents to expell straight out. I can't imagine that any excrement (especially hard ones), other than diarrhea would seriousely move out through a right angle from the colon, to the rectum without causing some kind of tearing or buldging at that right angle, if not indeed be stopped in it's tracks! That is if you consider that (according to medical information I've read), the fecal material does not enter the rectum, until it's due to be axpelled. If you measured the length and diameter of many of those expulsions, I'm sure you would find they are often anything up to 15 inches long (albeit in 2 or 3 pieces) and up to 2 inches diameter. (!)

14. CaptainClyde

CaptainClyde Guest

Not meaning to bring up an old thread, but many questions were answered here! I feel more confident to bring a much longer dildo into the bedroom. Having seen videos where men and women take such large toys anally (some show motion around the left of the belly button, kinda like "Alien") I often wondered what risks/damage they were dealing with.

15. Zxtgzxtg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Speaking from experience, deep colon play can be rather dangerous.

I was increasing girth and depth into the sigmoid, and trying to get past the bend into the descending colon. I worked up gradually to a dildo of about 1.5 inch diameter, and could get it all the way to the junction of the sigmoid and ascending colon quite easily. Trying to get a kink onto the dildo to make it go up into the ascending, the sideways force on the junction of the rectum and sigmoid made it tear.... about 1.5 inch tear.

A visit to the A&E. I was CT scanned and confirmed with a bowel rupture and internal bleeding, and admitted to the ward for surgery. I had a laparotomy, where I was cut from pubis to above the navel. The tear was repaired and my bowels were bypassed to allow the repair to heal by means of a loop illeostomy. This means my bowels emptied into a bag. Six months later I had an ileostomy reversal. Luckily it worked. But it was all incredibly painful. I was slim and fit and healthy, but now I look like a war veteran with all the scars and abdominal muscle sag from the surgery. Nothing works quite the way it did, and it is still not fully healed over a year after the reversal. The bowel is tough, but it is not strong either.... I know because I have seen it outside my body for six months.

So my advice would be to not engage in deep play. At the very least to minimise girth. Definitely avoid going for girth and depth at the same time. And absolutely do not try to straighten the sigmoid.... the sideways force on the weaker parts of the bowel wall is too much.

Play safe.

#15 Zxtgzxtg, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  16. Zxtgzxtg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Correction: Where I have said junction of sigmoid and ascending I mean junction of sigmoid and descending.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.