1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight Friend wants to go to Pride? How "Straight" is he?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Greggers, Jul 30, 2010.

1. starfish

I wouldn't make any assumptions.

My suggestion is just be a good friend and listen. If he is gay or questioning let him bring it up when he is ready.

Hell it could be as simple as he is just looking for a good party.

2. Shevanel

Exactly this. I wouldn't think anything of it.

3. Greggers

Well, today he texted me saying he wanted to sleepover at my house the night before and then go to pride, so I am leaning more to the "he might be questioning" side. I have known him since I was 10 and we have always been close, so I can pretty safely say this is NOT just him trying to be supportive and there is something else going on.

Not going to jump him with questions about it though. And the sleepover thing is not happening, he is going to see fireworks now (prior engagement he forgot about), so that gives me some space. At this point, I would honestly be surprised if he is *just* coming to support me.

I have it though now, thanks everyone. Just sticking to the same plan as before. Just letting you all know the evidence is slowly piling up all in one direction at this point.

4. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

The evidence should be pointing toward this reply....

5. george678

I wouldn't think anything of it. Unless, you becoming concerned.

By this I mean starts behaving not his usual self.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, new question. Say he IS gay. What do YOU want?

Lex

7. littledinosaurs

You know that it's quite possible that there is something else that is seriously bothering him that doesn't have to do with his sexuality and he is just using pride to get closer to you so he can address it.

(example: his parents are ultra-conservative [as you stated]. Maybe he's questioning his religion but is afraid how his parents will react to this [assuming they are a religious family])

8. paco

paco Guest

it's always easy to believe things we want to believe, for example, my 86 year old grandpa married a 38 year old woman last month because he believed that she was in love with him and no matter what 50 family members told him, he found reasons to believe what he wanted.

now, this is a much less extreme case of course, but the principle is the same and being so much less obvious makes it easier to mistake. we all insist on believing what we want to believe and there is always crucial evidence that only we know because it's happening to us and not them that can back it up.

in the end, you really don't want to assume anything about your best friend that he's not telling you, it only leads to trouble, awkward situations and distance, and that's the truth whether he's gay or not.