1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Funny responses you got when you came out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by paco, Jul 11, 2010.

1. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At Christmas this year, I still wasn't out to my extended family. I was trying to keep it on the downlow, since my grandparents had visited and were extremely homophobic. I'd only come out to one of my cousins, an "aunt", and my other grandma, but she had passed away this previous summer. Luckily, the awful grandparents weren't going to be at my house for the family celebration, so I wasn't too worried about being outed.

Anyways, for some reason, my 32 year old cousin decided he really did not feel like being an adult that Christmas, and hung out with my sister and I basically the whole time. He brought Modern Warfare and shooed his 5 year old daughter away so we could play Call Of Duty. As weird as the situation was, I was happy, because I love my cousins and don't get to see them all the time. He was talking about crazy exes (namely, his ex-wife), and I joined in on the conversation. I said "Oh yeah, I know the feeling", and he asked me "Oh, bad ex-boyfriend?"

That was when my lil' sister chimed in and went, "No, girlfriend!"

While I was a little embarrassed, I just kept talking about the crazy ex in question, trying not to act like it was a big deal. My cousin didn't seem that phased. A little while later, my sister and I go upstairs to grab something and he follows. At one point, he leans against a doorway and says what is easily my favorite reaction to me being gay...

"So, I didn't realize you uh... played for the other team..."

To which I, in my oblivious state, replied with something just as stupid:

"I don't play sports."

2. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like this story. :lol:

3. AmyBee

"You're not going to get a bunch of cats are you?"

4. theskylitup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In 7th grade:
    Friend: Wait so you're gay?
    Me: Is water wet?
    Friend: ???
    My best friend and I never thought to tell her lol

5. xClemKrczx

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Came out to my best friend and I was a bit terrified.
    Her answer: "Been there, done that. I'm glad you could finally share this with me"

=)

6. idefygravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My mom is super weird about me being gay.

She goes back and forth believing me and thinking that I just like girls because "it's the cool thing to do"
    Over time, I think she's come to realize that I have zero interest in guys, especially because I've actually dated girls and she's found out.

The funny story is that a few months after I accidentally told her I had a girlfriend, we were at Target looking at clearance Christmas stuff. She suddenly held up a pack of rainbow ornaments and she said "should we get these for you."

At the time, kind of annoying. I'm pretty sure she was making fun of me. Now, it's sort of entertaining.

7. EthelAndEthan

Out Status:
    Some people
    I was talking to my friend, who I'll call Meghan, via chatroom. I was talking about how my parents were more likely to accept me being bisexual than the fact that I was obsessed with Harley Quinn.

Ethel: Actually, I could come out as bi and my dad accept it more as long as I don't act on it,I bet...
    Meghan: whoa okay.. I read that totally wrong because I read "I just came out as bi" and not "I could come out as bi"
    Meghan: But what would be the point of coming out if you didn't act on it? I mean seriously
    Ethel: Which is why I haven't. xD
    Meghan: ...becaaaause you're not
    Meghan: Wouldnt THAT be the reason?
    Ethel: ....nope. Bisexual.
    Meghan: Oh bless
    Meghan: Bless you
    Meghan: Welcome to the club which you've obviously been a part of before but I didn't know so welcome on behalf of me finding out now
    Meghan: *beams*

I had assumed she'd figured it out, but she was a bit slow on the uptake. :icon_wink

#1867 EthelAndEthan, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  8. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I was camping with a cousin of mine in a camper a week after my grandfather's death a couple weeks ago (I'll admit, my timing sucks lol) when i told him i was trans. On the second day we were messing around with each other up in one of the bunk beds... throughtbthe whole trip he had been "insulting me" playfully by calling me a girl and whatnot, which of course i wasn't considering as an insult. I also hadn't been doing hardly anything to moderate my behavior in a masculine way, so I acted like my usual self, which is actually quite feminine. He knows I have a tendency to wear necklaces and other jewelry and that I absolutely detest all things mud and insects and am generally a mild tree hugger. So anyways, we were up in the bunk beds and I sort of connected the dots and told him I was a girl. He then proceeded to jokingly accuse me of being part of the illuminati, chased me off the bed onto the camper floor where we wrestled, which was really funny at the time. He kept saying I was the illuminati to anyone who would listen for the rest of the day. (He's 12. Most 12 yo boys are immature like that) Because he was joking, I didn't know if he understood or really accepted me. Later I asked and showed a Skype conversation between me and a friend about me being trans and attempting to tell my cousin bout it. My cousin was totally cool with it after I actually explained it and we talked briefly about it. I guess now it was more of a you had to be there thing but I thought it was funny how his first response was to scream that I'm part of the illuminati multiple times and not something else lol.

9. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "I had no idea. You're the straightest lesbian ever." XD

10. carpenoctem308

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was recently talking to my friend about how I came out to my parents, and told her about when they said that they both suspected I might be gay. She said "how can they not know, you're f***in' gay as s***. I knew the second I saw you."
    Apparently I'm awful at hiding it.

11. Doughmaster

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So I have this friend called Gyle who makes constant jokes about him being black and here's my conversation with my friend
    Me:I'm gay
    Him:cool
    *fast forward a bit*
    Him: so your cool with gay jokes still?
    Me: yup
    Him: OMG YOUR LIKE GYLE BUT GAY!!!!!!
    Me: yeh lol I guess
    Him: OMG YOUR GAYLE!!!!!
    Me: OMG YES!!!!
    we still make jokes about it till this very day

12. Lightsaberpearl

Out Status:
    Some people
    Friends and I were swimming in a lake
    Friend 1: Lets swim straight over there
    Me: I can't
    Friend 1: why?
    Me: I'm not straight
    My entire party of friends exploded into laughter

Another moment:
    Random Little Kid In Restroom: Are you a boy or a girl?
    Me: Nope
    Kid: Cool. I like Thomas the Tank Engine. He's blue

13. ScaredBuilder

I came out to one of my best friends on the first day back to school. It went down a little something like this.

I pulled her out of breakfast telling her I wanted to talk to her in the bathroom quick. She went to stand by the mirror. Now she had had a few bad run ins with Gay and Bi people. We had often joked about her being married to our other best friend so I was hoping that she would be okay with it. Nervously I told her I was a lesbian.
    She starts laughing. "Are you serious?" She asked during this. I nodded, she clapped and bent over so her head was almost touching the floor, while she was still on her feet. She sprung back up and said "I knew it!" Loudly. Thankfully no one out side heard it. I ended up telling her I had a crush on another friend of mine.
    She looked me straight in the eyes and finally stopped laughing. "Man never thought you would like her. Who would have thought?" She said in the most calm voice for someone who had spent nearly five minutes laughing. We then preceded to go to the Auditorium for the Welcome Back speech as if nothing happened we haven't spoke about it since.

I guess it's a you had to be there type of thing.

14. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :lol:

15. brightm

brightm Guest

I was going to a concert with two friends.
    Billboard: Gaylord healthcare
    Friend 1: look *name*, just for you!
    Me: Haha yeah, WAIT WHAT.
    Friend 1: *breaks out in laughter* I THOUGHT IT WAS OBVIOUS
    Me: IS IT?
    Friend 2: yes

OH MY GOD I LOVE KIDS. THEY ARE WONDERS OF SOCIETY.

16. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I recently came out, or more accurately answered affirmative, when one of my closest friends, asked my if I was bi.
    I've never denied it or try to hide it, he just always assumed I was straight, like most of my friends/acquaintances.
    Anyway, I was pubbing (as opposed to clubbing) with him and my other best male friend and I was talking with my other best friend about my dating life.
    At a certain point he was getting frustrated with my lack of initiative with trying to date.
    So I reminded him that I'm not much of a clubbing person and didn't meet a lot of people outside of fellow students.

So he said I should try dating sites.
    At which point I said that there aren't a lot of Dutch dating sites that allow you to profile as being interested in both males and females.

At which point my other friend said: 'Wait, you're bisexual?'

* He was accepting, which I already knew since he mentioned he had a gay friend which he was completely accepting of.

17. Thomas Rhymer

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So after spending nearly eight years trying as hard as possible not to be Gay, I came out as Gay. Sort of. (That's another story). Anyway, I plucked up the courage to tell my Mum's parents, my Grandparents. I was a nervous reck as I rang my Grandparents to tell them. I wrote down what I was going to say, but once they picked up I forgot what I planned and just said,
    "There's been something I've been meaning to tell you."
    "Yyyes???"
    "I'm Gay".

Nothing could of prepared me for what came next.

"Well we already knew that! When you said there was something you've been meaning to tell us, I thought you were going to tell me you were moving to Perth! You're not are you!?
    "N-no"
    "Oh good. How's your week been?"

Yep, my Grandparents (my Nana in particular) were more concerned about my week, and the thought of me moving interstate, than me being Gay! Simultaneously the most hilarious, and upsetting thing that has ever happend to me. Hilarious, because of their priorities, and upsetting because I had wasted eight years trying to be as Un-gay as possible, only for them to see right through it!

18. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I've made quite a few guy friends since I've come to college. And everyone knows the fact I'm gay, just because I bring it up casually and don't really think much of it. It's more of a humorous thing than an offensive one. Sometimes these friends would pretend flirt with me, and I would deadpan and tell them "I'm gay."

Now, they've all gotten into the habit of saying it. If one of the guys gives me any kind of compliment on my appearance, even though they're not flirty, someone will come out of nowhere and go "GOD SHE'S GAY DUDE" :roflmao:

19. GreenTree

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wear a ring from my boyfriend, and my friend at work was asking me about it and then I said well it's a ring from my boyfriend. And she went: "YES!!! I've always wanted a gay friend!"

I was certainly amused :grin:

20. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    "Congratulations on coming out of your tiny, tiny closet"

I'm 4 foot 11.