How many people's family read?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Étoile, Jul 29, 2009.

1. LeonaRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I'm reeeally into the book bar food, dog, and toilet breaks that is pretty much my entertainment for the day I just don't stop til the book is done.

2. jazzrawr

My mum has about 25 books from the library stacked on her dresser, along with 3 bookshelves and a bookshelf full of cookbooks, and I have two bookshelves and a collection of books under my bed.
    We're big on the whole reading thing. XD
    My dad doesn't read much, though. He says it puts him to sleep.

3. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

My father really only reads instruction manuals and textbooks. My brother has a form of dyslexia so he just doesn't enjoy it. They both prefer television or movies.

My mother and I, on the other hand, read ALOT. We regularly phone each other from the bookstore to tell the other what books we are buying (in case we already have them). I just exchanged four books with my mum this past week (via airmail). Right now, I'm reading the Agatha Raisin books. And then I'm going to read Freddy and Fredricka. And then Preying for Mercy. And then I'm going to reread all the Harry Potter books.

Yeah. I have a list.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I read fast due to three reasons. One, I took a speed-reading course back in high school. (Do they even offer those anymore?) Two, practice - I've been reading all my life, all the time. Third, interest - if I enjoy the book, I read it a lot faster (and retain a lot more).

I live near an indie bookstore, and they have a great section of "bargain" books - either ones that haven't sold well, or cheap pressings of classics. I bought two from the latter category yesterday - The Scarlet Pimpernel, and The Monk. (Total cost - under $8.) Just started the second one, and only got about 20 pages in over my salad lunch yesterday. I'll continue at lunch today.

Lex

5. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

My dad's a total bookworm. He spends all mornings shut in his study, either reading or writing. I've always been intrigued as to why he didn't take up Literature at university. Mum doesn't read much literature but psychology-related stuff. My brother used to be an avider reader, but now I think he only reads about politics. I like reading (literature), but it's difficult for me to concentrate during daytime. I need silence and serenity, so more often than not I read late at night (and if I'm really into the book I can go on and on till' the early morning). The problem's that I can't always stay that late, so I don't read as much as I'd like to.

6. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    nobody in our house read's except me but i don't really read that much

7. silentsound

My parents both have a deep love for reading that they passed onto my brother and I from the time we were infants. My house has book stacks placed all over it (it's "a style" which is actually pretty cool) I counted once, there are 94 books in my family room alone.

8. lostinthought9

My Mom only reads the newspaper, and a magazine every now and then. My dad reads less than that. I read the most in the family. I like to read...
    My sister only just started reading for pleasure (Twilight).

9. Nodnarb

My mom reads the paper every morning, and is always reading her romance novels in any freetime she has. Dad reads the paper every day, and always reads his Sports Illustrated. When he reads books they're either about sports or something funny by guys like John Hodgman or Steven Colbert. My sister reads a lot too...She's obsessed with the Twilight series.

10. Totoro

I read before going to bed, when i don't end up in bed too late. My father reads for hours on ends when he is in bed. Not sure about my mother though. My siblings read alot too, with the exception of the one closest to me in age. I haven't read anything as of late, don't know any good books anymore ;P

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>I haven't read anything as of late, don't know any good books anymore

Don't go waiting for a good book. Just go find one. Go to the bookstore, or the library, and just browse. Grab some books, read the blurbs on the back, or inside cover, and just give a couple a try. I've stumbled over some majorly amazing books this way that I would've never read otherwise.

Lex

12. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mum and I are the readers in the family. My brother doesn't read much and when my dad was alive neither did he.

We all have different ways of entertaining ourselves. :slight_smile:

13. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My sister reads an absurd number of novels. My mom is normally working on a novel. Dad is more into non-fiction books. I don't know anything about my brother's reading habits. I don't normally have a book on the go, but I tend more towards non-fiction. We also tend to read newspapers and magazines. Everyone except my mom also read a lot online.

Even reading the newspaper and magazines is better than nothing as far as reading.

14. musican

Everyone in my family reads. I think that I read the least because I'm more interested in music, lol. Both my sisters read really quickly and make many trips to the library to return books and get more books out. I'm more picky about the books that I read and lately, I've been getting DVD's out from the library to watch rather than getting books :slight_smile:

15. Joey

tiny tiny University in northern Maryland
    I read a ton, when I'm at school I can burn through a book in about 4 days. My mom reads more than I do. My younger brother reads a little less than I do, but he can also sit down and read pieces of music for hours and hours. My dad is the biggest reader in the family... My older brother on the other hand, I don't know that he really reads at all. Outside of the occasional book about music and recording, I haven't seen him pick up anything.

There is a place called WonderBook right near where I go to school that my boyfriend took me to on our first date that I go to ALL the time... it's a lot like a book warehouse. Almost all of their books are sold to them, or overstock/books that didn't sell in Barnes and Noble or Borders. On average, their books cost about 3$ each... which is fantastic because I buy in bulk!

16. matty123

my dad buys tonnes of books, there are piles and piles of them, so he is always reading when he has the time. i kind of take after him, this summer i intend on getting through a large pile, but that has already grown quite a lot, and i'm really into anything by bill bryson at the mo but am right now reading stephen fry in America because i just finished bill bryson notes from a small island, about an american traveling around Britain and this is a Britain traveling around America, plus i don't know that much about a lot of the states of America apart from the main ones that everyone knows!and my mum reads a bit, but my sister doesn't and my little brother does, and has a room full of inherited books lol

17. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom reads magazines, but other than that I'm the only reader here.

18. Astaroth

My mom reads all the time. She has a constantly-rotating book collection that she ends up "loaning" to me (she gives them to me hoping not to get them back, lol, so I end up trading them in at the book exchange). She's a fan of horror, mystery, fantasy, and most of the books that end up being made into movies in the last ten years.

My dad only reads work-related books, but he does have quite a few. And books on how to run businesses effectively. But never for simple enjoyment.

19. KittyBoy

Everyone in my family reads. We read everything, and I really do mean EVERYTHING! Well, except those trashy romance novels... totally destroys literature...........

20. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I love reading fiction stories mainly dealing with things that I can relate to or things that I experience; mainly psychological fiction. For example, I'm reading a book called Asylum - it's about a psychiatrist's wife who lives with her husband and son in a mental hospital for the criminally insane.

I find it to be fascinating so far ^^ .