Last book you read?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Wander, May 1, 2009.

1. Kyllani

Last week I finished the book Cure by Belinda Frisch...it's the beginning of a zombie apocalypse! I'm pretty sure it is going to be the first in a series. Today, I finished Kill Town, USA...another zombie story! It's a novella written by Joseph Love. I really enjoyed it, and I was a little sad when it ended.

2. Post Office by Charles Bukowski. About the 15 years he spent as a postal worker while trying to make it as a writer and the his raging alcoholism and his sex life that would cripple the average man. Absolutely brilliant I can't get enough of him anyone else read anything by him? If not do so immediately.

3. Gallatin

The last book I read was Clear and Present Danger, part of the Jack Ryan series by Tom Clancy. I think it's my favorite so far.

4. AlexisAnne

The last book I finished recently was Snuff, part of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Enjoyed it like I've enjoyed all of his work.

Nearly finished with Game of Thrones, the first book in the series and I'm completely hooked!

5. Hunted

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

6. Andbenz0189

not exactly one book, last thing i read (that i wanted to read) was the Song of Ice and Fire saga by George R. R. Martin, Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords, Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just finished reading a collection of short stories:

The Best of Canada's New Writers The Journey Prize Stories, Volume 23.

The short stories were collected from numerous literary journals and magazines that were published throughout the year. Some of the stories were thought provoking. I already got Volume 24 to read next.

8. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Moab is my Washpot by Stephen Fry - What an amazing read! His thought process virtually mirrors my own. His childhood (save but for the private schools in England; being deflowered [his words] at 14 by a fellow student; and arrested for forgery and fraud at 18) seems nearly identical to mine. It's like looking into the future. I'll promptly purchase his sequel this evening.

9. Spirit

I finished up Siddhartha for school recently. Very good book, some of the stuff with Kamala seemed like it was a bit much for something school assigned though.

10. SundayGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've just finished Cormac McCarthy's No Country for Old Men. One of my favourite books - it deserved a re-read. "Heads or tails?" :eek:

Now I'm onto The Saga of the Swamp Thing. I'm also reading a collection of Flannery O'Connor's short stories and Jung's Memories, Dreams, Reflections. They are all excellent so far.

11. You should read Blood Meridian by him! In my opinion it's his best book.

12. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I need to re-read that as well. Was my first McCarthy and only got into more of his work this year [and am looking forward to reading even more of it.] Have you read anything else of his?

It's funny you mention MDR, I've tried reading it two, or three, times and never get that far into it, as much as I want to complete it. :lol: But I hope you continue to enjoy it. :slight_smile:

13. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Johnny Got his gun.

I would never suggest anybody read this book... the only reason that I had to was for class.

14. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Foe by J.M. Coetzee

15. Schabanak

The Twilight Books. All four on one day :grin:

16. I know that wasn't aimed at me but I spent like 6 months last year reading everything he's ever written. His writing is so unique and his dialogue unlike any other writers.

17. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Having read two more of his books this year, I can easily understand why one would do that [probably would've done it myself if I hadn't become involved with other books.] :lol:

It's his descriptiveness that impresses me the most, the way he writes about nature and the people within it.

18. Vesper

Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale

19. GingerGuy

I'm now reading Therese Raquin, by Emie Zola, a french naturalistic author. He's just so awesome because his books are full of depravity and portray humans like animals who struggle to survive everyday. The book has a lot of raw, intense passion and deisre that cannot be controlled and so its channeled into the estruction of the beholder, through sex and murder. So yep, not a book for everyone, but Im still haalfway through and dont want it to end at all.

Also, I gay version of it would be just super sexy lol

20. SundayGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yep, McCarthy is probably my all-time favourite author. I've read all his work other than Outer Dark and Child of God. Saving those for a rainy day.

The Road and No Country for Old Men are my personal favourites - perhaps because he wastes absolutely no words and just gets on with telling the story (unlike some of his other novels, which can become a bit slow and 'philosophic' in places for my liking :icon_wink). Both these books are so epic and scathing and bare and terrifying - they reveal so much about people and the nature of violence, and he doesn't even stop long enough to let you catch your breath. That's why I love them. :slight_smile:

Memories, Dreams, Reflections is the first work of Jung I've read and already I'm finding his writing really fascinating. You know that feeling you get when a book is going to change your life/perspective in some way - this is one of them. :icon_bigg

...Do you have a favourite McCarthy novel?

---------- Post added 3rd Oct 2012 at 12:16 PM ----------

Funnily enough, I didn't really enjoy Blood Meridian. There was so, so much of it I didn't understand - like the dialogue of the Judge. I ended up scratching my head and moving on, accepting that it was simply beyond my comprehension. :lol: And the violence in some parts were just too descriptive for me - particularly the scalping and a scene where two babies had their heads smashed together. I almost stopped then and didn't continue. :tears:

But I did persevere to the end and was glad that I did. :icon_bigg

---------- Post added 3rd Oct 2012 at 12:18 PM ----------

Did you enjoy it? What do you think happened at the end? :slight_smile: