1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

offended by an emotion/mood

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Zac4, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zac4

hey mods,
    i know im new here so what i say doesnt mean much...but to have EMO as a mood option really pisses me off. Emo is a lifestyle. its the way u r, not a mood.
    u arent emo for a day. if u r, u r a poser.
    just the way i feel ne way.
    thx.

2. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

I thought emo was just a fictional word created by the younger crowd to show displays of melancholy or new age gothic dress styles? What's an emo life style? (really, what is it?)

3. Bryan44

Isnt emo just short for emotional?

Why can people not feel emotional for a day?

4. LornTehViking

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't wanna create a fuss but...
    Emo, emotional, emotive hardcore. There's many different meanings to the word "emo", and I don't think that it's really a big deal.

Plus, we have "gay" and "gangster" as moods. Those are lifestyles too, right?

My vote is if you don't like it, don't use it.

#4 LornTehViking, Mar 15, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  5. Greggers

I could see this about "Goth" but "Emo" is emotional isnt it? Alot of these can double as lifestyles AND moods. I have VERY "gay" moods and "emo" moods sometimes.

But if it does offend you very much, explain your story in a PM to a Mod and im sure they will respond with what further action they will / will not take :slight_smile:

6. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Maybe there should be a difference...or what if they removed the goth kid on the emo sign and replaced it? I dont think it'd change the offense though...I think emo is a word that can be taken many different ways.

7. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If you don't like it, don't use it.
    Plus we have cowboy, pirate-ninjaey and other moods like that that aren't meant to be taken seriously. Plus some people don't view emo as a lifestyle, some see it as an attitude, like "so and so is acting so emo today"

8. Shevanel

this reminds me of the south park episode where the goth kids didn't like the vampire kids because everyone else in the school thought the goth kids were vampires and they were pissed off. lol. I think being emo is a mood anyway. oh well

9. Zac4

Similar but different. still just as legit tho

surfer dude, i saw that 1. lmao

10. Zac4

i dont see many cowboys or pirates so i dont know what they think.
    but the fact u say "Plus some people don't view emo as a lifestyle, some see it as an attitude, like "so and so is acting so emo today" thats xactly my point.

is being gay an attitude? does some1 act gay today? kinda similar to us.
    if u arent part of the emo culture then u dont get it. but specially in ec that seems to be cool with every1 i'd think u guys would get it or at least understand that its not just a mood it means more these days ne way.

ya maybe it started out meaning emotional and it started out in the rock scene but its evolved into something else now. more then the way some1 dresses or wears their hair or whatever.
    if u want the emoticon to say emotional then cool, im all for it. be emotional all u want.
    but if u say u r feelin emo 2day cuz u feel all dark or whatever then i gotta call u on that 2. cuz the word means lot more then that.

11. Zac4

enigma if what i already wrote didnt xplain it, i am totally cutting n pasting this. probly not the best xplanation but 2 min on google maybe this xplain it.
    id post the link but i dont think thats allowed? dont wanna get banned :confused:

Although many people hear the words "emo culture" either in passing, on the news, or in dire-sounding reports on the television, very few people really know what it means. It's not because the culture is particularly secretive, it's just that, like many youth cultures of the past, a lot of people don't get what it is really all about. This article serves to better explain what emo culture is, and why someone you know may be drawn to it.

It is common to hear emo culture described as extremely dark, full of people who are depressed and almost suicidal. Some news reports have gone so far as to make it sound like a cult, with fictional "emo points" that people earn for destructive or negative behavior. Sounds terrifying, no? Fortunately, it could not be further from the truth.

Emo culture is an offshoot of punk rock culture, much like other scenes that have formed since the late 1970s when punk first started. The music is varied, in sound, as bands such as Fall Out Boy are considered emo -- despite being somewhat poppy, just as much as bands like Thursday or other "screamo" bands, with far more aggressive sounds, are. The main thing that unites this type of music is the emotional outpour from the singers and musicians, which many of the people listening to the music relate to.

It would be incorrect to state that people involved in emo culture do not feel some manner of alienation from their peers. This is why many people mistake them for being "depressed." More often than not, thanks to the bond of the culture -- meeting people who like the same music, dress similarly, and have a lot of the same feelings, can help to alleviate those feelings. Further, the culture's epicenter, music and live shows, serves as an excellent place for people to get together. There is an amazing bonding experience for many emo fans when they are at a live show, packed in front of the stage, singing along to the songs with the band. That stays with people for some time to come; the memories of that moment when they weren't different, but rather, were part of something.

Many articles and reports on this culture like to focus on negative things like "cutting." Cutting absolutely does exist, but it is not an emo trait. It is actually a sign of a mental illness, most likely borderline personality disorder or bipolar disorder. It would be ridiculous to say that nobody involved with emo culture cuts themselves, or even more so, that nobody in the scene suffers from these mental illnesses. That said, there are many culture resources dedicated to helping people in the scene who have mental illnesses and problems such as this. One such non-profit group is To Write Love On Her Arms, although there are others, and many bands do their part to help benefit charities and other groups. Cutting is neither encouraged, nor condoned, within emo culture, and it is important to clear up that misconception.

Realistically, this is simply another subculture in the world where people who have like interests come together and bond over that. While it's easy to look at people with "funny hair" or "weird clothes" and think they're totally different or should be shunned, the truth is, they're just people like everyone else, and as you can see, are just looking for a place to call their own.

12. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Gay can be an attitude. Gay originally meant happy. I act gay some days. Some I even pretend to be effeminate to see what others do and react. Lol :roflmao::roflmao:

What does the word mean then? We can't understand it unless you explain it.

13. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Oh well I didnt realize u posted that. Lol Right before me too.

Though...if Emo means, includes, but is not limited to specific hair, make up, and dress styles...and people coming together to alleviate emotions...what makes them emo? Err...that sounds redundant. Let me ask it this way.

How do you know someone is emo? It doesn't seem to pertain to a specific set of standards. It is rather, like a state of mind that is transient rather than a lifestyle.

Like hippies. But how do you practice emo?

#13 The Enigma, Mar 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2009
  14. Zac4

lol no prob

that xplain it some?

try being emo and /maybe gay?/ in this society
    im totally fucked:eusa_doh:

15. Greggers

Words have multiple meanings. Gay can mean one of five hundred things.

And one meaning for it is being "in a gay mood". That being a happy and upbeat mood.

Some way i can be "in an emo mood". That being...i guess sad and depressed at life or something? I dunno exactly, but they do exist.

Try being a queen in this society. People are much nicer to the emo. MUCH...

#15 Greggers, Mar 15, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  16. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

I can be emo, and I'm definitely gay in this society.
    Indeed, I too have been fucked.

17. biisme

Like Enigma already said, we have the "gay" option. Since "gay" is not actually my lifestyle, does that mean I'm not allowed to use it, even though it is a life style? Well, if I'm having a day where there are hot girls all over the place, or I've been hanging out with a bunch of gay people, or if I'm just in a "boys are icky" mood, then I might say I'm feeling gay.

Exactly what emo means depends upon the person. Maybe it has evolved for many people, but that doesn't mean that it has for everyone. Words change meanings all the time, and people don't always associate the latest one with the word. So, maybe it's not an acceptable mood for you, but it could be for other people.

18. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Gay can be an attitude. if someone acts flamboyant im sure a lot of people think he's acting gay. I have days when I act gayer then normal.
    and its not right saying you and only you really know what it means and were all wrong/uneducated? I get called emo daily, i dress that way, and listen to emo music a lot of the time and I don't care about the status at all. I think its totally bogus that people choose to follow a fad and then look down on other people for even discussing the fad. I'm not trying to be rude here at all but the truth is you are not the sole authority on what emo is and isn't. You didn't make it up so who are you to say what it is. It can be different things to different people.

19. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

I think thats what he's trying to say it's not...but his wiki article says it is but is just not limited to. The world is safe...for now...until people start doing anti-emo pickets. Lol (!)(!):roflmao:

20. Greggers

sadly, no one has control over what the words mean, not you nor me not anyone.

Gay can mean "stupid". You cant argue that, its just true. Its not the "real" meaning perhaps, but its one meaning. The same goes for Emo. In the culture, at least here, if your "being emo" that means your depressed. Thats not the only meaning for emo, as i said before, but it IS one meaning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.