1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No organization for LGBT students!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Sam, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Sam

Sam

I thought my university had some type of organization for LGBT students but apparently they don't. I guess they don't have anybody to sponsor it or something because it was on the list and I was excited about it but it's not anymore. They have about 75 organizations at the school and not 1 of them has anything to do with LGBT people. This is quite a big school too so it kind of upsets me. There are a lot of religious and political organizations and I have a feeling they really don't want an organization for LGBT people.

I don't know if I should talk to the dean of students or not I mean I just started there on Wednesday and I don't know if I know enough to make a difference or not. Like for example who would sponsor if I wanted to start one and such.

Any ideas?

2. Master Hade

Master Hade Guest

i would definatly talk to who ever u needed to talk to!!! getting somthing like this running is good cause i bet someone else on campus wants it!! also.. organizin the first ever on ur college's campus is good for a resume!

3. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There aren't any at my university either... :frowning2:

4. Bastan92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    this is off topic, but the topic of the thread sounds like something M.I.A would rhyme too. oh, and for ur topic. it would look really good on ur resume for organizing a college first like Hade stated.

5. Bryan90

Yeah I definitely second founding a LGBT club on your campus if there isn't one. I guess "Student Affairs" would be the department to go to?

6. TriBi

Given that you've only just arrived there, I think I'd suggest 'getting to know the lie of the land' a bit before you go full tilt at trying to make something happen.

It would probably be much easier if you get to know a few people - especially if you find people who will support and be a part of getting it set up. Of course, I don't know the prevailing atmosphere there - but, from what you say, it sounds like it may not be the most receptive community - so having a few other people prepared to work toward the same goal would probably make it more likely to succeed.

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with TriBi. Given that you start started there, try to get to know the school first before talking to the dean. Rather than talking to the dean, try to find out if there ever was a LGBT group. Maybe they had a LGBT group before but it fell apart. Talk to someone in the "Student alliance" office first. In case your school might not be as receptive, try perhaps to talk to someone in the human rights office, they might be able to give you some information as well.

8. Sam

Sam

The dean of students is the one that is in charge of organizations and approval of them so that was who I thought about talking to. They did have a sexual orientation diversity alliance it was on the list and now it's not and there isn't a sponsor so I'm thinking maybe there weren't enough people to keep it running? I don't know if I should try to talk to the dean of students or not.

9. Hugo Boss

If you are very concerned, you can always discuss starting one.
    My university has one, but I have no interest in it and never will. I went once and it was cliqey and chit chatty and I can do that with my other friends.

10. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Given that they had a sexual orientation diversity alliance in the past, you could perhaps ask a bit around to see why it is no longer running. As you mentioned it could be that there weren't enough members to keep in running. Usually GLBT organizations have good connections to the human rights office on campus. Perhaps you could talk to someone there that could give you some information before you talk to the dean of students. There more information you have the better you can prepare yourself for the eventual meeting with him.

Where you thinking of starting it up again? If so, I think it would be good then if you get as much as information as possible before you talk to the dean of students.

11. riddlerno1

I know my uni had a group but people were so scared of joining because it was almost like it was all *hush hush* and wasnt advertised as being very open. There was the odd poster here and there but that was it. Maybe there is intrest but people were scared of joining the diversity alliance because it wasnt as well put to the students.